• Jun 6th, 2019 4:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 10, 2011
66 posts
5 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL

Adding SSD to laptop

I'd like to upgrade my current laptop, an Acer Aspire V5-473P-5602 (i5 4200u, 4gb RAM, 500 gb HDD), with an SSD and RAM. I use the laptop for internet browsing (20+ tabs), note-taking, PDF reading, and watching movies. Nothing more.

According to the Crucial website, this SSD is compatible with my device: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G3YNLJB/. My laptop is currently quite slow to boot up, and slows down significantly when I'm doing the above tasks all at once. Given that I don't game or do things like video-editing, I'm hoping an SSD and additional RAM will be all I need to fix this, rather than buying a new laptop; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Can someone kindly take me through how I would go about installing this SSD? It's not so much the physical installation part that confuses me--though tips on that would be great too--but more about how I'm supposed to configure the system to boot up on the SSD, and where I'm supposed to keep my files that are currently on my HDD. Any resources would be great. Thanks very much.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
The absolute easiest way would be to clone your existing drive onto the SSD.
Then you can physically swap it and everything should work as normal.
Obviously you're going from 500GB to 240GB so you have to make sure your hard drive isn't full.

The free way to do it is via https://clonezilla.org/
It's a bootable image so you'll need a USB flash drive.
"Something" that's at least 240GB would help too be it an external hard drive, a network share, etc. External drive is the easiest way.

Image the flash drive with Clonezilla: https://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php

Reboot the notebook with the flash drive in, making sure that you select USB booting in the BIOS.
Backup your existing drive to "somewhere" (External drive, network share, etc)
Shutdown and swap drives.
Boot up Clonezilla again.
Restore from whatever you stuck your original drive image to.
Reboot without Clonezilla
???
Profit
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12936 posts
2225 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
ledgeofknowing wrote: My laptop is currently quite slow to boot up, and slows down significantly when I'm doing the above tasks all at once.
Unless your HDD is damaged, then I would say you've got other issues that an SSD won't solve. If you've got a thousand icons in the systray, the place to start would be run MSCONFIG and go through the startup list. Sure, an SSD be faster, but it won't solve system problems.

Anyways, regarding SSD, open it up and see if you have an M.2 slot. If you do, you can install an m.2 SSD, while keeping your current HDD.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6422 posts
2817 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Recently installed SSD with W10 Pro. Minimal programs so YMMV.

Steps I did:

* Backup data files on USB stick or portable drive... do both if can
* Using MS media creator tool create bootable USB stick with windows or linux... can use cd/dvd if your computer has
* Set up secure boot and AHCI in bios
* Remove power cord and battery
* Remove old hard drive and any brackets, rubber sides, adaptors, etc.
* Put in new ssd with brackets, etc. as needed
* Start computer and install from bootable usb stick or cd/dvd
* Install ssd sw if have... I installed crucial executive storage or something like that
* Install fw/av if on windows or use default if using W10
* Update computer
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13777 posts
8821 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Life changing I tell ya! Once you switch over from HDD to SSD, Life changing I tell ya!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 21, 2013
683 posts
174 upvotes
in a bubble
georvu wrote: Recently installed SSD with W10 Pro. Minimal programs so YMMV.

Steps I did:

* Using MS media creator tool create bootable USB stick with windows or linux... can use cd/dvd if your computer has
* Install ssd sw if have... I installed crucial executive storage or something like that
* Update computer
could u go into detail about this step?... Set up secure boot and AHCI in bios

I read I should enable AHCI mode BEFORE win10 is installed.?

does the SSD come with software & when to install that?

sorry for the questions but this is more tech than im use to....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5714 posts
2517 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
If the Aspires haven't changed much in the past 8 years, removing the drive is easy: 2-3 screws on the cover under the mousepad area (hides the RAM sticks and wifi/BT adapter too). Drive enclosure is maybe 5 screws at most.

Done the change in a 5560 and V3-571.

When you install the drive, hit the key to get into BIOS and change to AHCI before proceeding.

As for drive cloning, no, no one gives free cloning software unless you pay the big bucks. If cloning, get yourself a portable 2.5" USB SATA enclosure. This will connect the drive to the computer for cloning (also converts the old drive into an external).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6422 posts
2817 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ammaretto wrote: could u go into detail about this step?... Set up secure boot and AHCI in bios

I read I should enable AHCI mode BEFORE win10 is installed.?

Hitting F1 or F10 or something like that will get you into bios settings. There you will find various settings under the menus and yes before install W10. Not end of world if you don't do this.

does the SSD come with software & when to install that?

1. Crucial ssd software is on their website and I installed after installing W10; it checks drive health, any firmware updates, etc. 2. Crucial allows you to download Acronis [imaging sw; not fully functional version] as long as have ssd attached or installed. I downloaded after installing W10 but did not use as just did clean install and then copied over data. Other drive makers might offer similar software.

sorry for the questions but this is more tech than im use to....

Asking questions is best way to learn... I'm no expert but asking questions and searching online very helpful :)
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Jan 21, 2013
683 posts
174 upvotes
in a bubble
do I need to wipe out my hard drive before removing it? im gonna be starting fresh with win 10 anyway...just want to make sure im not missing any steps....
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6257 posts
1466 upvotes
Richmond Hill
before u clone, make sure you clean up your HDD first. Like no viruses, malware, just delete whatever you can. Run some scans to make sure there are no errors. Just don't copy your garbage over.

once you;ve done the above AND figured out how to open up your laptop to access the HDD, swapping it out for the SSD should be easy. Search online for the manual.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3532 posts
20024 upvotes
Gonna break this to you as easily as possible.

1).. dont clone your drive, especially with issues you are encountering.
2).. start from scratch making sure you format the SSD first
3).. swap the drive after the format
4).. install the new os.
5).. use a USB HDD tray and plug the drive in to your USB port.
6).. pull all the files off without the programs

From what I can tell on the Kingston.com site - any standard SATA3 drive will work as long as it's a 2.5" drive and 7.5mm - 9mm in thickness. You also have one non-removable dimm of 4GB so you can purchase an 8GB dimm to max out at 12GB.

Are you looking for performance or size for the drive and what is your budget?
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12936 posts
2225 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
markopas wrote: Gonna break this to you as easily as possible.
It took about a week, but someone else finally agrees with me that SSDs aren't magic elixirs that will solve all your computer problems :D .
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3532 posts
20024 upvotes
Even worse is that depending on the SSD, if that drive crashes, you are most definitely f'ed and is unrecoverable, so take it as you will.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2011
66 posts
5 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
markopas wrote: Gonna break this to you as easily as possible.

2).. start from scratch making sure you format the SSD first
3).. swap the drive after the format
4).. install the new os.
5).. use a USB HDD tray and plug the drive in to your USB port.
6).. pull all the files off without the programs

From what I can tell on the Kingston.com site - any standard SATA3 drive will work as long as it's a 2.5" drive and 7.5mm - 9mm in thickness. You also have one non-removable dimm of 4GB so you can purchase an 8GB dimm to max out at 12GB.

Are you looking for performance or size for the drive and what is your budget?
Thanks very much for your help. Step 1 makes sense to me, I don't think I will clone. I just need the files off my current HDD anyway; I don't have many programs. Regarding step 2, the SSD will be newly purchased. The one I had in mind was this: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G3YNLJB/. This is based on this site: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatib ... -473p-5602. I'm looking more for performance, and I believe 240 gb will suffice.

My question: can I instead 1) transfer my files onto an external hard drive, 2) swap SSD in for HDD, 3) install new OS, 4) transfer necessary files onto SSD?
[OP]
Aug 10, 2011
66 posts
5 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
georvu wrote: Recently installed SSD with W10 Pro. Minimal programs so YMMV.

Steps I did:

* Update computer
This is very informative, and actually answers the question I had above. Appreciate it.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4565 posts
1059 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Save yourself some steps and time, don't bother with backing up the files you want to keep (or clone).

Get a 2.5" USB 3 external enclosure that you can put your old HDD in.

Install the new SSD into your laptop, install Windows. Plug in your 2.5" enclosure with your old HDD and then transfer whichever files you want.

You can keep your old HD around as long as you want, basically until you feel that you've copied everything over. You'll also have a fresh Windows install with none of the bloatware you've accumulated over the years.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3532 posts
20024 upvotes
It doesn't matter which drive you get, if you want performance you go with a Samsung - this will also depend on your budget so the bigger the drive the more money it will cost.

Do you have your heart set on Crucial?

1).. no need to transfer anything, you will just be pulling the drive out anyway, what you want to do is get a USB enclosure to put your drive into, something that is SATA3 (SATA6 being the new standard in performance) compatible and if you want to go the extra mile I dont know if you have USB-C ports or not, of not how about USB3.1? either way, get something that is USB-C compatible based on the performance and future proofing yourself for hardware upgrades or compatibility with other laptop brands that already use this.

You will need to format the SSD FIRST before you put it in to your laptop so don't take it out of the computer just yet, pop it in to the enclosure, plug it in and format as needed.

You can't go wrong with the Samsung 860 Evo, and pickup a 1TB drive, most windows machines hate when your disk size drops below 50% threshold.

Seems to be on sale right now for $200 - sale ends in a couple of days?

Samsung - MZ-76E1T0B
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Internal- ... B078DPCY3T
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... m/12370882
https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-860-evo-s ... 6820147673
https://www.genericcomputer.com/prod_one.php?pid=12372
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12936 posts
2225 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
markopas wrote: You will need to format the SSD FIRST before you put it in to your laptop so don't take it out of the computer just yet, pop it in to the enclosure, plug it in and format as needed.
Windows install can't partition/format anymore?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1973 posts
1030 upvotes
GTA
markopas wrote: You will need to format the SSD FIRST before you put it in to your laptop so don't take it out of the computer just yet, pop it in to the enclosure, plug it in and format as needed.
Black Question Mark OrnamentBlack Question Mark Ornament
rabbit wrote: Windows install can't partition/format anymore?
Yea, I believe this is the second time he has posted this exact comment. IDK why he keeps saying that, its incorrect information. I'm not sure if it started in Windows Vista (or earlier) but I specifically remember since Windows 7 you were able to put a fresh out of the bag HDD into a computer/laptop and run the Windows Installer and it would detect the brand new drive as "Unallocated Space" then you had options to either format and partition the HDD during the install. No need to format a fresh HDD/SSD drive pre-install of Windows. Windows does all the work for you. This step is unnecessary and could cause confusion to beginners.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6422 posts
2817 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
markopas wrote: It doesn't matter which drive you get, if you want performance you go with a Samsung - this will also depend on your budget so the bigger the drive the more money it will cost.

Do you have your heart set on Crucial?

1).. no need to transfer anything, you will just be pulling the drive out anyway, what you want to do is get a USB enclosure to put your drive into, something that is SATA3 (SATA6 being the new standard in performance) compatible and if you want to go the extra mile I dont know if you have USB-C ports or not, of not how about USB3.1? either way, get something that is USB-C compatible based on the performance and future proofing yourself for hardware upgrades or compatibility with other laptop brands that already use this.

You will need to format the SSD FIRST before you put it in to your laptop so don't take it out of the computer just yet, pop it in to the enclosure, plug it in and format as needed.

You can't go wrong with the Samsung 860 Evo, and pickup a 1TB drive, most windows machines hate when your disk size drops below 50% threshold.

Seems to be on sale right now for $200 - sale ends in a couple of days?

Samsung - MZ-76E1T0B
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Internal- ... B078DPCY3T
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/sa ... m/12370882
https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-860-evo-s ... 6820147673
https://www.genericcomputer.com/prod_one.php?pid=12372
No, not for W10 at least.

I just took ssd out of package, installed in laptop, and then booted from usb to install W10... it did partitions and format.