• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2019 9:56 am
[OP]
Nov 18, 2002
68 posts
1 upvote
Brantford

Additional Fees on Bill Of Sale Question

So I've been shopping around for a new vehicle and got a BoS quote from one. I realize that dealerships have their 'additional fees', but does this sound right to you or am I right in feeling like something's sketchy...

It's a new vehicle, so in addition to the Freight/Destination fee (of 1785), there's also a Pre-Delivery Expense of 395 as well. Then on top of that an Admin fee of 399. Am I wrong to have assumed that Freight/Destination included the PDI part of it? Every Unhaggle or CarCost breakdown I've seen of this particular car show 1785 as part of that OMVIC mandatory fees in the printed price.

On top of that, the quote is totally based on MSRP so ZERO give on the price.

Just looking for some expert analysis on this one to help me decide if maybe I should take my business elsewhere...

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3692 posts
1963 upvotes
GTA
From Unhaggle themselves

That admin fee is BS and you can fight to have it removed.
As for the Freight, that is separate from PDI. Freight is the shipping cost. Some dealerships will list it as Freight/PDI instead of breaking it down. Seems like your dealership is separating it.

Not sure what kind of car you're purchasing but when I bought my Civic, the Freight/PDI line is one and it is $1,655 on my BOS.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35213 posts
21188 upvotes
Center of Universe
ADRiiAN` wrote: From Unhaggle themselves

That admin fee is BS and you can fight to have it removed.
As for the Freight, that is separate from PDI. Freight is the shipping cost. Some dealerships will list it as Freight/PDI instead of breaking it down. Seems like your dealership is separating it.

Not sure what kind of car you're purchasing but when I bought my Civic, the Freight/PDI line is one and it is $1,655 on my BOS.
Doesn't matter if the admin fee is $1 or $1000, as the goal is OTR price.
The dealership can easily hide admin fees elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3742 posts
3147 upvotes
Did you put in an offer for the vehicle or did you simply ask them for a quote? The first quote will almost always be full MSRP with a long list of additional fees and charges. If you are interested, simply analyze the quote and make the deletions and changes that you are comfortable with and start negotiating. You should be prepared to walk away if they are unwilling to negotiate. Yes, the Admin Fee is just an extra cash grab.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3692 posts
1963 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Doesn't matter if the admin fee is $1 or $1000, as the goal is OTR price.
The dealership can easily hide admin fees elsewhere.
I agree. This is why you should always negotiate your OTR price. Dealers will do all kinds of black magic to an invoice but as long as your OTR price is what you've agreed upon, you're good.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2002
68 posts
1 upvote
Brantford
Thanks everyone for your replies - most appreciated!

Ended up going to a different dealership and wow what a difference... Straight up OTR price, no haggle, no bullshit, and almost a 3k swing in price from the original dealer quote I got. And on top of that, the F&I guy didn't try to upsell me on the useless stuff. Man - I wish I had stumbled onto these guys in the first place... then again, I wouldn't have learned how crappy some dealerships are. LOL!