Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Aden Camera

Sony a7II Full Frame Camera w/ FE 28-70mm Lens + Sandisk Extreme 64GB SD Card + Extra NP-FW50 Battery $1,399.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2023 10:28 am
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26001 posts
211229 upvotes
GTA

[Aden Camera] Sony a7II Full Frame Camera w/ FE 28-70mm Lens + Sandisk Extreme 64GB SD Card + Extra NP-FW50 Battery $1,399.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Expiry:
February 16, 2023
Retailer:
Aden Camera
More offers from Aden Camera
The Sony A7II is on sale in many places for $1299.99 (body only) or $1399.99 with the kit lens (this is a Sony promo). Aden Camera has the same pricing but is throwing in a memory card and an extra battery. Decent deal for those looking to get in on an entry level full frame camera.

https://www.adencamera.com/Sony-Alpha-7 ... P1981.aspx

https://www.adencamera.com/Sony-Alpha-7 ... P1980.aspx

Edit: Also open box units for $1149

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/so ... k/10425965
Last edited by toguy on Jan 30th, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1752 posts
2720 upvotes
Pallet Town
Worth saving up for a used A7III IMO. Been seeing quite a few used for sale ever since A7IV is now available with stock everywhere.

Autofocus has come a long way in the past few years, let alone since 2014 when this was released. Uses the older W battery instead of the current Z batteries as well, which is half the estimated shots vs Z battery.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2018
9940 posts
40650 upvotes
What is a good combo for nice bokeh photos?

My iPhone 8 doesn't do it good / at all
hi :)
Jan 13, 2013
416 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
JoJoCan wrote: What is a good combo for nice bokeh photos?

How much experience do you have with cameras? Honestly it's not as easy to get good pictures if you just point and shoot like a phone.

As for your question... Look for a lower-ish f-number, like f2.8 to f4 should be fine for a full frame camera, although it depends on other factors too.
Mar 3, 2015
343 posts
935 upvotes
Vancouver

Lens is most important for image quality and characteristics. Camera body helps you to get the shot with minimum fuss.

A7ii is very very old tech and the focusing isn't great. Compared to newer and better, you might find it frustrating to get the shot, but with a good lens it'll still take very good photos.

Any Sony or Sigma FF lens that goes to f1.8 or 1.4 will get you what you want. The Sony 85mm f1.8 is a great value. The Rokinon/Samyang 85mm F1 4 AF is also a great buy when it goes on sale.
Sep 13, 2006
215 posts
181 upvotes
This is a great deal for anyone starting. Sure the AF isn`t as great as newer bodies, but also the price is way way less than newer bodies for a full frame, the battery isn`t the greatest but at least you get a extra battery,
Dec 1, 2019
282 posts
291 upvotes
Greater Vancouver

It’s all about the lens. The cheapest way is a fast (low aperture number, think f/1.8 or below) prime lens. That means you can’t zoom in or out. It’ll run you about $300.

If you want the flexibility of zoom, you’ll need to pay a few grand for a nice zoom lens with a big aperture. And this will be heavy.

(Edit with price)
Last edited by robbieRFD on Jan 29th, 2023 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
2893 posts
2001 upvotes
GTA

Upgrade to iphone 14 pro max
‎3 Apples that changed the world: the one that Eve ate, the one that fell on Newton's head and the one that Steve Jobs built.
R.I.P Steve jobs...!!
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1293 posts
1643 upvotes
ottawa
Lol at people complaining about the autofocus speed of this camera. I use Pentax
Jan 13, 2013
416 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
robbieRFD wrote:
It’s all about the lens. The cheapest way is a fast (low aperture number, think f/1.8 or below) prime lens. That means you can’t zoom in or out. It’ll run you about $300-600.

If you want the flexibility of zoom, you’ll need to pay a few grand for a nice zoom lens with a wide open aperture. And this will be heavy.
I wouldn't go that low of an aperture for I'm assuming portrait on a full frame. f1.8 or below will get you a very narrow depth of field, to the point where maybe only a section of someone's body is in focus. That's why I said maybe f2.8-f4. Anything lower if you do a lot of low light or are a more seasoned photographer and know what you're doing.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2004
1233 posts
1240 upvotes

“The best camera is the one you have on you”. When my friends ask me for recommendations on what camera to buy, I always tell them to put the money towards a better phone first. Unless you’re a professional or are serious about it as a hobby, 99% of your pictures will end up being taken on your phone. The difference between an iPhone 8 and any current generation higher end phone is pretty significant. Also try shooting in portrait mode if you want the Bokeh effect.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3157 posts
3303 upvotes
Mr Snuff wrote: “The best camera is the one you have on you”. When my friends ask me for recommendations on what camera to buy, I always tell them to put the money towards a better phone first.
The best camera is the one you always leave at home and too big and heavy to bring around with you.
Dec 1, 2019
282 posts
291 upvotes
Greater Vancouver
dark2026 wrote: I wouldn't go that low of an aperture for I'm assuming portrait on a full frame. f1.8 or below will get you a very narrow depth of field, to the point where maybe only a section of someone's body is in focus. That's why I said maybe f2.8-f4. Anything lower if you do a lot of low light or are a more seasoned photographer and know what you're doing.
The original comment asked for lenses with better bokeh. I agree that they probably want something similar to portrait mode. I disagree that f1.8 is too low.

The most affordable way to get great results that your phone can’t easily replicate is to buy a good quality, fast prime lens for a few hundred dollars. Otherwise for the same price, you’ll be looking at entry-level zoom lenses that range from f4.5-5.6 with basically no bokeh, and significant vignetting, distortion, and chromatic aberration, in which case the newest iPhone would take better photos in good lighting conditions.

f1.8 would still have around 10cm depth of field, so that’s more than adequate for portraits. You don’t have to shoot at f1.8 either… you can always choose a different aperture. It’s at numbers like f1.2 where you can get depth of field problems across the subject’s face

I own a full frame camera and a few different f/2.8 lenses. You won’t get a dramatic bokeh effect similar to portrait mode on the newer iPhones at f/4 with a 35/50mm focal length. Unless you are at 80mm+ field of view where f2.8 would give you great bokeh.

Consider the quality of the bokeh circles would be worse on cheaper telephoto lenses than a prime lens that costs similar price. You want soft bokeh spots for that dreamy look.

Plus, getting a lens that has a constant f/4 throughout the zoom range means you’re going to be looking at semi-professional lenses in the thousands range.

at the end of the day, once you’ve decided on a type of lens, the actual photo quality depends a lot on the optical quality. And the most affordable way to really take beginner photography to the next level is a fast prime lens.
Last edited by robbieRFD on Jan 29th, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9802 posts
5796 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
robbieRFD wrote: The original comment asked for lenses with better bokeh. I agree that they probably want something similar to portrait mode. I disagree that f1.8 is too low.

The most affordable way to get great results that your phone can’t easily replicate is to buy a good quality, fast prime lens for a few hundred dollars. Otherwise for the same price, you’ll be looking at entry-level zoom lenses that range from f4.5-5.6 with basically no bokeh, and significant vignetting, distortion, and chromatic aberration, in which case the newest iPhone would take better photos in good lighting conditions.

f1.8 would still have around 10cm depth of field, so that’s more than adequate for portraits. You don’t have to shoot at f1.8 either… you can always choose a different aperture. It’s at numbers like f1.2 where you can get depth of field problems across the subject’s face

I own a full frame camera and a few different f/2.8 lenses. You won’t get a dramatic bokeh effect similar to portrait mode on the newer iPhones at f/4 with a 35/50mm field of view. Unless you are at 80mm+ field of view where f2.8 would give you great bokeh.

Consider the quality of the bokeh circles would be worse on cheaper telephoto lenses than a prime lens that costs similar price. You want soft bokeh spots for that dreamy look.

Plus, getting a lens that has a constant f/4 throughout the zoom range means you’re going to be looking at semi-professional lenses in the thousands range.

at the end of the day, once you’ve decided on a type of lens, the actual photo quality depends a lot on the optical quality. And the most affordable way to really take beginner photography to the next level is a fast prime lens.
Don't get a7ii, get a7rii. Big difference.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Jan 13, 2013
416 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
robbieRFD wrote: The original comment asked for lenses with better bokeh. I agree that they probably want something similar to portrait mode. I disagree that f1.8 is too low.

f1.8 would still have around 10cm depth of field, so that’s more than adequate for portraits. You don’t have to shoot at f1.8 either… you can always choose a different aperture.

I own a full frame camera and a few different f/2.8 lenses. You won’t get a dramatic bokeh effect similar to portrait mode on the newer iPhones at f/4 with a 35/50mm field of view. Unless you are at 80mm+ field of view, then f2.8 would give you great bokeh.

Also consider the quality of the bokeh circles would be worse on cheaper telephoto lenses than a prime lens that costs similar price. You want soft bokeh spots for that dreamy look.

at the end of the day, once you’ve decided on a type of lens, the actual choice depends a lot on the optical quality. And the most affordable way to really take beginner photography to the next level is a fast prime lens.
I think you're not taking into account the level of expertise here. If someone's asking a question like that then they probably know next to nothing about these kinds of things. That 10cm of depth of field could still mean half of someone's body is out of focus and they'd be asking why someone's hand's blurry, also it's a lot more expensive - going from iPhone to full frame with a $1000 prime lens is a bit of a stretch for someone who just wants to take some decent pics of family members or themselves on vacation and things like that - maybe to get some better pics for social media or personal photo album - no need for a prime lens for that, a more versatile zoom lens like a 24-70mm is fine. To compete with iPhone's fake bokeh a full frame with f2.8 is more than fine (especially if you zoom in to say 70mm). Even with APS-C sensor f2.8 is fine for this kind of stuff. No need to over-complicate things with more expensive gear than you need.

Now if this person said they wanted to up their photography game and decide to take it up as a more serious hobby or aspiring to become a professional then yes I'd definitely agree with you.
Dec 1, 2019
282 posts
291 upvotes
Greater Vancouver
dark2026 wrote: I think you're not taking into account the level of expertise here. If someone's asking a question like that then they probably know next to nothing about these kinds of things. That 10cm of depth of field could still mean half of someone's body is out of focus and they'd be asking why someone's hand's blurry, also it's a lot more expensive - going from iPhone to full frame with a $1000 prime lens is a bit of a stretch for someone who just wants to take some decent pics of family members or themselves on vacation and things like that - maybe to get some better pics for social media or personal photo album. To compete with iPhone's fake bokeh a full frame with f2.8 is more than fine. Even with APS-C sensor f2.8 is fine for this kind of stuff. No need to overcomplicate things with more expensive gear than you need.

Now if this person said they wanted to up their photography game and decide to take it up as a more serious hobby or aspiring to become a professional then yes I'd definitely agree with you.
I think we’re thinking along similar lines and have similar intentions, but your prices for prime vs 2.8 are the other way around. The advice I gave did account for a beginner’s interest in portrait photos with bokeh, which is what OP asked.

The prices I’m quoting below are for Canon but Sony prices should be similar.

The cheapest lenses by far are prime lenses. You can buy a well respected Canon f1.8 50mm for $180. This is perfect for the beginner who wants to take portrait shots. Pair a decent camera body (not this 2014 dinosaur) and you have a great setup for $600- to 1000 all in. Maybe cheaper if you shop used.

Of course f2.8 lenses will be more than fine. But do you know how expensive they are? My 24-70 f2.8 was over $2000. The bokeh is great, no doubt. It better be at that price point. f4 lenses are expensive too, in the 1000-2000 range, which are hardly beginner friendly and probably won’t give them the bokeh they’re looking for. These f2.8 and f4 lenses definitely “overcomplicate things with more expensive gear than you need”. In your words Winking Face
Last edited by robbieRFD on Jan 29th, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4008 posts
8780 upvotes
Vancouver
lol $1.4k+ for a 9 year old camera ... actual trash
Last edited by danascully on Jan 30th, 2023 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4008 posts
8780 upvotes
Vancouver
robbieRFD wrote: I think we’re thinking along similar lines and have similar intentions, but your prices for prime vs 2.8 are the other way around. The advice I gave did account for a beginner’s interest in portrait photos with bokeh, which is what OP asked.

The prices I’m quoting below are for Canon but Sony prices should be similar.

The cheapest lenses by far are prime lenses. You can buy a well respected Canon f1.8 50mm for $180. This is perfect for the beginner who wants to take portrait shots. Pair a decent camera body (not this 2014 dinosaur) and you have a great setup for $600- to 1000 all in. Maybe cheaper if you shop used.

Of course f2.8 lenses will be more than fine. But do you know how expensive they are? My 24-70 f2.8 was over $2000. The bokeh is great, no doubt. It better be at that price point lol. Even f4 lenses are expensive. My f4 lenses were 1200 and 1700. These f4 prices are hardly beginner friendly and probably won’t even give them the bokeh they’re looking for. And the f2.8 lenses definitely “overcomplicate things with more expensive gear than you need”. In your words Winking Face
I have a 135mm f2.8 for $300

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)