Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Aden Camera

Nikkor AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens $224

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2015 5:24 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2005
548 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal

[Aden Camera] Nikkor AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens $224

Deal Link:
Price:
More offers from Aden Camera
With all the recent Nikon camera deals being posted lately thought I'd post this lens deal.

Nikkor AF-S DX 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR for $224.00 free shipping.

I recently purchased this starter zoom lens for my Nikon D3200.
Note that it's the older VR lens and not the VR II model; but from what I've read the extra stop you'd get from the VR II was not worth the $100+ extra that the newer model costs.
I'd never ordered from Aden Camera before but order was processed next day, shipping was free came via Canada Post (ships to local post office only) came with Nikon Canada warranty card, new in box.

Edit:
Adding links others have contributed:
Sold and Shipped by Amazon.ca - $ 202.96 free shipping. [Grey market???]
http://www.amazon.ca/Nikon-55-200mm-4-5 ... YIK6Y9EEQB

Lens and Shutter in BC $215.99 [Final sale, no returns] free shipping when for orders over $94.00
https://lensandshutter.com/products/nik ... g-vr-if-ed

Best Buy [Sold out online] YMMV for in-store PMs $349.99
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/nik ... 55215.aspx

Lens review with sample images
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... ndex.shtml
23 replies
[OP]
Apr 5, 2005
548 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
I guess should have mentioned that yes the lens is available / posted cheaper on amazon.ca but it seems grey market as it's fulfilled by Japan-camera shop last time I checked.
For the extra $25 or so I was willing to get a solid 5-year Nikon Canada warranty from an authorized Nikon Canada dealer.

As a second edit / update I noticed since I've purchased the lens that the price has fallen at "Lens and Shutter" in BC to $215.99 CAD.
https://lensandshutter.com/products/nik ... g-vr-if-ed
Though i don't know the reputation of that site and noted that it says sales are Final.

Thanks acbay21, I wasn't able to find stock at my local BB they only had the newer VR II lens @ $349.00.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
1538 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon link says sold by nikon. They will only pm if it is sold by Amazon.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2011
1598 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
bigredlemon wrote: Amazon link says sold by nikon. They will only pm if it is sold by Amazon.
That was fulfilled by amazon though, as I said, huge YMMV. Only place have this in stock from BB website around GTA is in Oakville. Consider the mess in that location, I would not place a bet on that :)
Nov 15, 2012
13 posts
5 upvotes
ALMONTE
acbay21 wrote: Plus, actually there is one sold and fulfilled by amazon for extra 3 bucks :) http://www.amazon.ca/Nikon-55-200mm-4-5 ... YIK6Y9EEQB
I had used this ~200$ lens link and PM'ed best buy about a year ago and they gave me the the PM'ed price without much hassel (just had to get someone to open the glass door)
Great cheap lens for my Nikon D5200, sharper than the 18-55mm lens the camera came with. Just have to remember to take like 10 steps back for the similar framing
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2011
1598 posts
520 upvotes
Toronto
darkice83 wrote: I had used this ~200$ lens link and PM'ed best buy about a year ago and they gave me the the PM'ed price without much hassel (just had to get someone to open the glass door)
Great cheap lens for my Nikon D5200, sharper than the 18-55mm lens the camera came with. Just have to remember to take like 10 steps back for the similar framing
Still not convinced to go to the crappy Oakville BB to get it done... but thanks for the info :)
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1730 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
acbay21 wrote: Still not convinced to go to the crappy Oakville BB to get it done... but thanks for the info :)
I wonder if anybody actually shops inside BB stores anymore? It's been ages since I last shopped there. Since when I realised that the best deals were almost always elsewhere.
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
newbie on lenses
does this fit on d5300
and also is this a zoom lens..basically how many feet away is the lens to take a good photo
thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2007
3799 posts
789 upvotes
ON
dcjcdc wrote: newbie on lenses
does this fit on d5300
and also is this a zoom lens..basically how many feet away is the lens to take a good photo
thanks
Yes
Yes
it depends...
Jul 30, 2013
948 posts
846 upvotes
GTA
How do the vr I and vr II compare besides price point? I know that vr II is more collapsible/is lighter weight, but are there any other noticeable differences?
Tech Arsenal ASUS G11CD | Samsung Galaxy S22+ | Nikon D5200 | Sennheiser HD 6XX
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
thanks
was thinking 18-140 as read this is good for an all around lens, if you just needed one lens...but would you say this lens is good all around lens as well..have right now 18-55
just want to spend in the 200 range
ppnndd wrote: Yes
Yes
it depends...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2743 posts
985 upvotes
does this fit on d5300
thanks
200 mm does not go that far. For example, for birding you are going to need at least 500-600 mm. 55-200 mm might be good for portraits or outdoor sports such as soccer if you are standing at the pitch edge. Also might be a good lens for tight landscape shots and some wildlife, but it has to be relatively close. I would say 30-50 meters max.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2007
3799 posts
789 upvotes
ON
dcjcdc wrote: thanks
was thinking 18-140 as read this is good for an all around lens, if you just needed one lens...but would you say this lens is good all around lens as well..have right now 18-55
if you only need one lens, get 18-140, 55mm is usually too long for DX cameras, unless you only want to make head shots.
since you have 18-55, try 55mm on your camera and see if it's too long for you.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2005
548 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
does this fit on d5300
thanks
It's a good 'next lens' from the kit lens.
I was looking to get decent zoom without a huge weight increase and size.
The lens is compatible with the D5300 from what I see here:
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5 ... lity02.htm

The 55-200mm VR is a 'G' type lens has a built in motor for auto-focusing designed for digital cameras.

Here's a review that has sample images that gives an idea of the zoom range:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikko ... ndex.shtml
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9070 posts
2370 upvotes
The 55-200 is the kit-lens telephoto equivalent to the 18-55 that comes with Nikon's entry-level DSLRs.

It's meant to be paired with the 18-55 to cover the full 18 to 200 range. Expect built, optical and performance quality of the 55-200 to be at the same level as the 18-55. It will not have a separate focus ring, the lens body will telescope as you zoom in/out etc.
thrifter wrote:
The 55-200mm VR is a 'G' type lens has a built in motor for auto-focusing designed for digital cameras.
A G-lens in Nikon terminology means it is Gelded, which means it does not have a separate aperture ring. It has nothing to do with the autofocus properties of the lens. The AF-S designation on the lens denotes it's autofocus function.

An AF-S lens will autofocus on all Nikon DSLR bodies as the AF-motor is built within the lens itself.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Apr 5, 2005
548 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
Winkle wrote: The 55-200 is the kit-lens telephoto equivalent to the 18-55 that comes with Nikon's entry-level DSLRs.

It's meant to be paired with the 18-55 to cover the full 18 to 200 range. Expect built, optical and performance quality of the 55-200 to be at the same level as the 18-55. It will not have a separate focus ring, the lens body will telescope as you zoom in/out etc.

A G-lens in Nikon terminology means it is Gelded, which means it does not have a separate aperture ring. It has nothing to do with the autofocus properties of the lens. The AF-S designation on the lens denotes it's autofocus function.

An AF-S lens will autofocus on all Nikon DSLR bodies as the AF-motor is built within the lens itself.
I stand corrected on my mis-use of the 'G'. Thanks.

To clarify, there is a separate focus ring on the front of the lens should you choose to use manual focus mode.
For newbies: the lens is a two ring design, the main portion being for the zoom ring and then the tiny aprox 1/4 inch manual focus ring at the front.

Regarding build quality; it's plastic construction. So yes nowhere the build quality of a pro series Nikkor lens. Nowhere the near same price point either nor the weight.
If you're stepping up from a point and shoot zoom camera this will get you decent zoom distance without requiring you to break your back carrying it around.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
16798 posts
7469 upvotes
Toronto
dcjcdc wrote: thanks
Try to score an old 18-135, it's a really good lens as long as your light is good (No VR). Not sure what the going price is for it these days, but it should be under 150 bucks.