Expired Hot Deals

Aden Camera

Sony A7s Body Only $1895+tax *YMMV*

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2015 5:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
979 posts
502 upvotes

[Aden Camera] Sony A7s Body Only $1895+tax *YMMV*

Deal Link:
Price:
1895
Expiry:
March 26, 2015
More offers from Aden Camera
I believe some of us on RFD already know of this deal (based on discussions in other threads like the Henry's Sony lens deals thread), but I didn't see an official thread posted yet for this:

Aden Camera at Pacific Mall in markham is selling the Sony A7s body only for $1895 +tax. IN-STORE DEAL ONLY, it seems.
I call this deal pretty damn hawt for a camera that really has not been on sale, also considering this is currently still listed at $2499 at every major photography retailer (Henry's, Vistek, B&H, Adorama, Amazon, BB, FS, Newegg, etc.)
I called the other Aden locations in downtown Toronto, and they are not offering this sale price.

Sorry I forgot to ask them when the promotion ends, but I somehow recall a date of mid-March being said in our conversation. DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT....simply call and ask.
Also, I put YMMV only because of the fact that Aden P-Mall literally does not get any of these bodies shipped in, and I had to wait over a week for them to bring in ONE for me (I would have posted this deal earlier, but sorry, I needed mine first before I let RFD get at this deal). You can likely ask them to order one, but their supplier (probably Sony, duh) does not deliver them many, if any at all.

BEFORE people start potentially criticizing the deal:
any previous deals for this that beat this price are a moot point (ie. no time machine),
and any future projected deals for this camera are also pointless...yes, I know about the newly announced Canon 5Ds and the Sony A7II and the newly announced Sony A9 may drive the price of the A7s down eventually.
But this deal is for those of us who are interested in buying this camera right now, like myself, who shoots professionally and need this camera immediately.

Good luck to anyone aiming to grab one :)

P.S For anyone who is unaware, those of us with Canon EF mount lenses who want to switch to this Sony body might want to look into Metabones EF-E Adapter Mark IV as a solid choice, since it communicates electronically with the lenses to the body, so aperture, image stabilization and AF can still be controlled with the camera. I personally found one second hand. I also hear of the Metabones speedbooster adapter etc, but I chose the safe choice.
29 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 9, 2007
10000 posts
1378 upvotes
Kanata
This camera never, ever goes on sale or pops up on Kijiji or eBay unless it's within $50 of MSRP. $600 + tax is a big savings for an amazing camera, but I think I'd go personally with the A7 Mark II now that it's out since low light and video aren't a huge deal for me. For anyone who makes money with their stills and videos, this is a no-brainer.
Check out Steve Huff's raving review for this A7s --> http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/07/0 ... ow-period/
Jr. Member
Dec 6, 2006
102 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
Incredibly tempting again. I've planned to shoot an upcoming short film on an A7 but an A7s would be spectacular.
Newbie
User avatar
Jan 22, 2015
90 posts
42 upvotes
British Columbia
Very tempting. I love the Sony bodies, really debating getting a metabones adapter and going to town. Site reads 2499 now though. :-(
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 18, 2013
608 posts
239 upvotes
Calgary
EricD707 wrote: Very tempting. I love the Sony bodies, really debating getting a metabones adapter and going to town. Site reads 2499 now though. :-(
Seems to be only at this place "Pacific Mall in markham"
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
979 posts
502 upvotes
EricD707 wrote: Very tempting. I love the Sony bodies, really debating getting a metabones adapter and going to town. Site reads 2499 now though. :-(
They don't advertise the sale price on the website. I find that Aden never advertises their bigger sales on the website. This one is an in-store deal only. It also says "Trade In promotion", but you do not need to trade anything in. Its an instant rebate of $600. They claimed that Sony is doing some trade-in "donation" promo right now to allow this price, but Aden says they just disregarded that trade-in requirement and made it $1895+tax instantly.
KarinKasia wrote: Seems to be only at this place "Pacific Mall in markham"
Yes, this deal is only available at this location. Pacific Mall in Markham, ON.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
979 posts
502 upvotes
Pacinamac wrote: Incredibly tempting again. I've planned to shoot an upcoming short film on an A7 but an A7s would be spectacular.
No question....A7 is really not built for video as a priority, although it can do great things. Its a fantastic stills camera body primarily.
But the A7s is an indie filmmaker's dream for such an affordable price. Full frame, low light beast, focus peaking, zebra highlights, SMPTE, 1080-60p, 720-120p, 4K potetntial, articulating LED screen. I can go on and on. I've been playing with it until 5am...it's an impressive little guy.
My only hurdle so far is the learning curve with all the new intricacies of this new camera...I've been a Canon shooter for way too many years.

If you shoot films, don't hesitate, jump on this if you can. Good luck in grabbing one.
Newbie
Mar 24, 2007
82 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton
I called them and I'm on the waiting list. They had me call the Downtown store because that is the only one that would ship to alberta. They said the deal ends March 26 and that they dont know if they can still do the 1895 when they call me. The price online says 2124 or something. We'll see what happens. Maybe some other retailers will get they deal soon too since it's supposedly a Sony promo. I'd rather buy locally and have heard so sketchy things about Aden. Both sales associates were nice though.
Newbie
Mar 24, 2007
82 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton
swaghunter wrote: No question....A7 is really not built for video as a priority, although it can do great things. Its a fantastic stills camera body primarily.
But the A7s is an indie filmmaker's dream for such an affordable price. Full frame, low light beast, focus peaking, zebra highlights, SMPTE, 1080-60p, 720-120p, 4K potetntial, articulating LED screen. I can go on and on. I've been playing with it until 5am...it's an impressive little guy.
My only hurdle so far is the learning curve with all the new intricacies of this new camera...I've been a Canon shooter for way too many years.

If you shoot films, don't hesitate, jump on this if you can. Good luck in grabbing one.
What's your feel on it for stills only shooting? Is the low light/silent shutter pro and 12mp only con worth the extra dollars over the A7?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 21, 2013
110 posts
10 upvotes
Edmonton
If you're interested in photography over video I recommend the A7 over the A7s. Double the resolution is huge. A7s is great for night time moving subjects and video, but if you're doing night time stills, choose the A7. Also, the A7 is pretty noise free up to 12000ish iso. I rarely need more iso than that anyway. Soo really depends on how you shoot.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
979 posts
502 upvotes
rockleet wrote: I called them and I'm on the waiting list. They had me call the Downtown store because that is the only one that would ship to alberta. They said the deal ends March 26 and that they dont know if they can still do the 1895 when they call me. The price online says 2124 or something. We'll see what happens. Maybe some other retailers will get they deal soon too since it's supposedly a Sony promo. I'd rather buy locally and have heard so sketchy things about Aden. Both sales associates were nice though.
Hopefully you can get them to honour the $1895 price, or else I agree, I would rather buy locally if I were you too. Aden is not sketchy in my opinion, but their return policy is only 10 days. I have successfully returned a lens to them simply because the focus seemed off, and they exchanged it no problem. But since you are in Alberta, any issues might be a customer service headache waiting to happen.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Dec 28, 2006
979 posts
502 upvotes
rockleet wrote: What's your feel on it for stills only shooting? Is the low light/silent shutter pro and 12mp only con worth the extra dollars over the A7?
For stills I would have to say go with the A7 (or better yet, the A7r or A7II). I am no photographer by any means...I went to film school, and so photography is a completely different art form in my opinion, so I can't say definitely. But from everything I read/hear about from photographers, go with the A7 for stills...hands down.
dudenextdoor wrote: If you're interested in photography over video I recommend the A7 over the A7s. Double the resolution is huge. A7s is great for night time moving subjects and video, but if you're doing night time stills, choose the A7. Also, the A7 is pretty noise free up to 12000ish iso. I rarely need more iso than that anyway. Soo really depends on how you shoot.
totally agree. Save your money and choose a camera which is best for your needs, not anyone elses. A7s is beneficial for filmmakers primarily. A7 is for photographers.
Member
Oct 12, 2004
238 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Put my name on the list as well to be shipped to Edmonton.

Anyone using this with Canon EF lenses and can recommend a good EF to Sony mount? I hear the Metabones adapter is good but i've also heard of errors and not to mention it being $400 USD.

Planning on using it for video 90% of the time.
Newbie
Mar 24, 2007
82 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton
swaghunter wrote: For stills I would have to say go with the A7 (or better yet, the A7r or A7II). I am no photographer by any means...I went to film school, and so photography is a completely different art form in my opinion, so I can't say definitely. But from everything I read/hear about from photographers, go with the A7 for stills...hands down.



totally agree. Save your money and choose a camera which is best for your needs, not anyone elses. A7s is beneficial for filmmakers primarily. A7 is for photographers.
Thanks for the insight guys. Now I'm really torn again. If the A7s was 16mp I'd jump right away. But 12mp is scary. I am going to do some video, it's just not my main focus. The silent shutter and low light auto focus is a big deal too. Great point about 12000 iso on the A7. My current Nex 7 can't really go over 3200 and that really pushing it. I also dislike using flashes and was hoping the A7s would help with that. I've been reading reviews for months. SteveHuff says a7s is the winner and he does mainly prime lens stills like myself. *shrugs*

I thought the A7ii was the winner when announced but I was wrong. The A7ii is too big and bulky, i'd just leave it at home. (I played with it twice and just didn't like it)
Jr. Member
User avatar
Jan 21, 2013
110 posts
10 upvotes
Edmonton
A couple of things to consider, the A7 has a plastic lens mount while the A7m2 is metal. You also get the wonderful in body image stabilization with the A7m2 and the shutter button is much better placed on the grip easier to shoot with. The grip is also bigger and much easier to hold. The A7s is great if you don't crop and are using images for computer resolution, anything bigger and you start noticing the 12mp. The A7s can get up to 40000 iso without noise. Now if your a concert or dark events shooter I would go for the A7s. Anything else I would get A7m2.
Newbie
Mar 24, 2007
82 posts
7 upvotes
Edmonton
dudenextdoor wrote: A couple of things to consider, the A7 has a plastic lens mount while the A7m2 is metal. You also get the wonderful in body image stabilization with the A7m2 and the shutter button is much better placed on the grip easier to shoot with. The grip is also bigger and much easier to hold. The A7s is great if you don't crop and are using images for computer resolution, anything bigger and you start noticing the 12mp. The A7s can get up to 40000 iso without noise. Now if your a concert or dark events shooter I would go for the A7s. Anything else I would get A7m2.
Everything about the A7ii is perfect. Except the weight and size. I moved to mirrorless to get away from all that weight. I wish it was plastic aha. I'm just using this for an all around camera. Sometimes low light. Sometimes ISO 100 daylight. Sometime fast moving kids or what not, some times static stills. The IBIS is great but I only have 3 legacy lenses and only 1 is telephoto. The fe 35mm 2.8 doesnt have OSS but it shouldnt be that big a deal at that focal length. The 24-70 Fe has OSS so IBIS is kind of unecessary even if it is a bit better. I'm a 35 prime kind of guy and the higher iso/ higher shutter speed combo outweighs the lower shutter/IBIS combo. Button placement doesn't bother me. There is a fotodiox metal lens mount ring that you can pop on the A7 but that doesnt bother me much. I realistically won't print larger than 8x12 but i do crop here and there. Thanks again. This choice is a big deal as it is a big lump of cash. I despise noisy pics but do i really need 40000 iso? maybe. Is iso 10000 enough? maybe What I really need is both cameras for 2 weeks and return the one I dont want.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 3, 2013
659 posts
922 upvotes
Toronto
shoryukenz wrote: Put my name on the list as well to be shipped to Edmonton.

Anyone using this with Canon EF lenses and can recommend a good EF to Sony mount? I hear the Metabones adapter is good but i've also heard of errors and not to mention it being $400 USD.

Planning on using it for video 90% of the time.
Seems like 'Commlite' and alike are the way to go. Even 'CE' stamped. Just under $100 on eBay. Build quality is good, works with IS and slow AF
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4128 posts
1497 upvotes
BC
The issue with sony is not the body.... it's the fact that there lenses are just so friggen expensive
Jr. Member
Feb 17, 2009
198 posts
31 upvotes
How much was shipping to Edmonton? I'm wondering if they'd ship to BC. Did they just charge your credit card or are they going to do it after it ships?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)