• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 4:09 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
188 posts
73 upvotes
EDMONTON

ADT and Telus plan home secuirty renew discussion

Today I received a call from ADT offering an upgrade while retaining the same price, but the catch is 3 years more contract.
I am 2 year in a contract, paying about 55 per month after tax.
The old package including some door sensors, 7 inch touch screen panel, video doorbell cameras, smoke detection, 3 motion sensors, warranty/maintenance.

The offered upgrade (with a new contract) including automated door locks, video cam, garage opener, flood sensor, and glass break sensor.

In addtion, if I can swap my cellphone to telus, there's an additional 10 dollar off.

I am debating on whether I should jump for the upgrade.
Has anyone had any experience on their retention plan once the 3-year contract is up? How much of a saving can you get?
2 replies
Aug 19, 2012
911 posts
136 upvotes
its much cheaper to switch to a different monitoring service like TMC for $10/mo
[OP]
Dec 14, 2012
188 posts
73 upvotes
EDMONTON
I am 2 year in the contract, so I have 1 year more to go before I can switch. If I choose ADT renew for 3 years, since there's one year I cannot switch due to the current contract, the money I can save over 2 years would be 55*12*2 - 11*12*2 = 1056. Or 816 if I take the Telus phone discount of 10 dollars.

I am thinking the 816 additional costs would be reasonable as it covers the equipment warranty and the additional equipment (door lock, garage door remote opener, video cam, flood sensor etc.).

So I think it might be a good idea to take the hit of 2 years more contract and then switch monitoring company.

Does TMC cover video? e.g., would the doorbell cameras record normally? Or just monitoring the sensors. Anything I will be missing out with TMC?