• Dec 15th, 2020 6:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8631 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto

Adult skating lessons - any recommends?

Trying to take this opportunity to learn how to skate properly and efficiently. I've got 120 days left to skate and I'm willing to invest 50-60 hours. I am so committed I went ahead and bought two pairs of skates already to see which one fits best... one pair of figure skates from Amazon and a second pair or hockey skates from Sport Chek. So far from multiple fittings at home with different pairs of socks I feel like the figure skates suit my feet better. I even went for a test skate on Sunday and while I avoided injury, I looked like a fool compared to all the effortless skaters around me Face With Tears Of Joy. The main issue is I don't have a rollerblading base and I've probably only skated max 8-10 times in my life (in my early 30s now).... Truth be told I don't recall ever having a "great" time because a) I was never taught properly when I was younger and had no motivation to improve b) I was always wearing crappy unpleasant rentals c) went more for social reasons and apres activities lol. Things have changed now (COVID or not) and I have a stronger desire to learn.

Before I commit myself to paid City of Toronto lessons (8 weeks * 45 mins) for $80 or search on Kijiji ads, is there anywhere else one would recommend for me to learn from scratch and actually get better? I know how crappy city programs can be but choice are limited and I don't know anyone (i.e. city instructors who sometimes don't give AF about teaching or worse, adult students who are constantly late or require extra attention). Many thanks!!!
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45230 posts
8248 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
MtX wrote: Trying to take this opportunity to learn how to skate properly and efficiently. I've got 120 days left to skate and I'm willing to invest 50-60 hours. I am so committed I went ahead and bought two pairs of skates already to see which one fits best... one pair of figure skates from Amazon and a second pair or hockey skates from Sport Chek. So far from multiple fittings at home with different pairs of socks I feel like the figure skates suit my feet better. I even went for a test skate on Sunday and while I avoided injury, I looked like a fool compared to all the effortless skaters around me Face With Tears Of Joy. The main issue is I don't have a rollerblading base and I've probably only skated max 8-10 times in my life (in my early 30s now).... Truth be told I don't recall ever having a "great" time because a) I was never taught properly when I was younger and had no motivation to improve b) I was always wearing crappy unpleasant rentals c) went more for social reasons and apres activities lol. Things have changed now (COVID or not) and I have a stronger desire to learn.

Before I commit myself to paid City of Toronto lessons (8 weeks * 45 mins) for $80 or search on Kijiji ads, is there anywhere else one would recommend for me to learn from scratch and actually get better? I know how crappy city programs can be but choice are limited and I don't know anyone (i.e. city instructors who sometimes don't give AF about teaching or worse, adult students who are constantly late or require extra attention). Many thanks!!!
Sounds like you kinda know how to skate already. Just jump on the ice and cruise around for that 50 hours you want to dedicate.
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
MtX wrote: Trying to take this opportunity to learn how to skate properly and efficiently. I've got 120 days left to skate and I'm willing to invest 50-60 hours. I am so committed I went ahead and bought two pairs of skates already to see which one fits best... one pair of figure skates from Amazon and a second pair or hockey skates from Sport Chek. So far from multiple fittings at home with different pairs of socks I feel like the figure skates suit my feet better. I even went for a test skate on Sunday and while I avoided injury, I looked like a fool compared to all the effortless skaters around me Face With Tears Of Joy. The main issue is I don't have a rollerblading base and I've probably only skated max 8-10 times in my life (in my early 30s now).... Truth be told I don't recall ever having a "great" time because a) I was never taught properly when I was younger and had no motivation to improve b) I was always wearing crappy unpleasant rentals c) went more for social reasons and apres activities lol. Things have changed now (COVID or not) and I have a stronger desire to learn.

Figure skates is more fun to learn on, just got to remember your toe pick. If you are committed, you can learn the basic on your own. Just go to any skating rink and watch better skater (or watch kids skate lesson), learn to glide a foot at a time with knees bend. Don't worry if you fall, if you don't fall you are not learning anything. Do that for a few weeks learning gliding both ways, once you have master the basic, go sign up for lessons. Good luck.
Koodo/Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45230 posts
8248 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
toyorav4me wrote: Figure skates is more fun to learn on, just got to remember your toe pick. If you are committed, you can learn the basic on your own. Just go to any skating rink and watch better skater (or watch kids skate lesson), learn to glide a foot at a time with knees bend. Don't worry if you fall, if you don't fall you are not learning anything. Do that for a few weeks learning gliding both ways, once you have master the basic, go sign up for lessons. Good luck.
I rarely ice skate. But go forward and backward easily because of roller blading.
But the only way i know how to stop is to t-stop slow down and spin in a circle. Lol.
I could never get the hang of a hockey player stop. I just gotta buy my own pair and get out more

I think this year will be the year... i hope skates are sold out /double priced due to covid.
Jan 3, 2008
976 posts
267 upvotes
W.GTA
UrbanPoet wrote: I rarely ice skate. But go forward and backward easily because of roller blading.
But the only way i know how to stop is to t-stop slow down and spin in a circle. Lol.
I could never get the hang of a hockey player stop. I just gotta buy my own pair and get out more

I think this year will be the year... i hope skates are sold out /double priced due to covid.
You have a ways to go, it takes time commitment and pain to learn; my sincere hats off to good figure skaters out there, Bend your knees, keep your gravity low and you will do hockey stop in no time.
Koodo/Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25435 posts
4585 upvotes
Sets and reps. I would recommend skating as much as you can. You will pick it up on your own. Skating lessons, such as power skating, can help you become a very strong skater, but if you just want to learn to skate at all, time on the ice practicing will work.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1028 posts
609 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
How bout try it with these city instructor first and then see?

It's like going to public schools right? There are good teachers and then there are bad teachers.

The last time I went to skating lesson, there are 2 other students learning with me; they progress slowly and I went at 120% pace.

My learning progress isn't dependent on the instructor but it's doing what they taught, if their instruction don't work, then experiment on your own. Also, practice in between lesson.

If you really don't like the instructor, they rotate every session anyways. Next session around, know who's teaching before signing up.

You got too ahead of yourself to say city instructors are generally bad.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
8631 posts
301 upvotes
Toronto
I bought and tried these https://www.amazon.ca/Lake-Placid-Casca ... th=1&psc=1 because they are way more comfortable than the Bauer hockey skates I ordered from Sport Chek. Covid, lack of fitting rooms etc. made it a pretty obvious decision for me. 4 hours over 3 days and I haven't had a single blister yet, just some minor comfort on the right Achilles but nothing I can't handle. As some of you have mentioned, I am currently working on but realized gliding on the right foot is much harder due to a ankle sprain from 5 years ago. Sports Injuries, muscle/joint compensation, and bad posture is actually making this harder than it needs to be. Probably the same reasons why I can't swim/float.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1028 posts
609 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Mine costed $400 in some figure skating specialty store. It's got some memory foam cushion. But after the 30 lessons or so, I moved and don't have a convenient rink to go to - so the figure skate is just sitting there for over 2 years now.
I think you might want to consider knee pad, and if you don't have, thicker gloves for the impending fall.

People can't float for 2 reasons: they don't know how to balance their body and center the buoyancy, or they're just too damn muscular (not in an optimized for swimming way). But floating is probably not related to your muscular injury and neurological linkages.
Whether you can flutter kick because of your right foot injury to keep you afloat when doing front crawl is altogether another issue.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1751 posts
751 upvotes
Canlan ice sports is worth looking into. I sent my son there when he was young after doing a bunch of the parks and rec lessons. He learned so much more in such a short time. For kids it wasn't horribly expensive and they have locations throughout the city.
-----------------------------------------------------

"It's better to be dead and cool...than alive and uncool!"