Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2430 posts
1481 upvotes
Calgary

Advice: 2012+ Ford Focus

Any advice on this model? looking for one for my wife. How bad is the DCT issues and are they expensive to fix?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22552 upvotes
GTA
masarwar wrote: Any advice on this model? looking for one for my wife. How bad is the DCT issues and are they expensive to fix?
It cripples the car. The only fix is to swap to a manual transmission. Temporary fix, and dealer fix is to swap in a new transmission for $2-5k.
Either buy a manual version of the car or buy a different car.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2430 posts
1481 upvotes
Calgary
engineered wrote: It cripples the car. The only fix is to swap to a manual transmission. Temporary fix, and dealer fix is to swap in a new transmission for $2-5k.
Damn that sucks. need to continue searching then.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20742 posts
6200 upvotes
GTA
Only buy a Focus if you are buying it in manual.

I have a 6MT Focus, its been mostly fantastic, almost 8 years old, 100,000 km. Other then oil changes, new brakes and tires, I've really had no other major issue except......oh what, my clutch hydraulic cylinders leaked and corroded the clutch assembly.

95% of the Focus's bad reviews are due to the garbage automatic transmission and the even more garbage Ford SYNC multimedia garbage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2430 posts
1481 upvotes
Calgary
coriolis wrote: Only buy a Focus if you are buying it in manual.

I have a 6MT Focus, its been mostly fantastic, almost 8 years old, 100,000 km. Other then oil changes, new brakes and tires, I've really had no other major issue except......oh what, my clutch hydraulic cylinders leaked and corroded the clutch assembly.

95% of the Focus's bad reviews are due to the garbage automatic transmission and the even more garbage Ford SYNC multimedia garbage.
unfortunately wife cant drive manual. we might now look for a mazda3 instead.
May 12, 2019
438 posts
552 upvotes
Learn how to drive manual. Its not that hard, especially in a Ford Focus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2430 posts
1481 upvotes
Calgary
419justblaz wrote: Learn how to drive manual. Its not that hard, especially in a Ford Focus.
I can drive manual as i have been for the past 21 years. Easier said than done for my partner.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2954 posts
2368 upvotes
Markham
masarwar wrote: Any advice on this model? looking for one for my wife. How bad is the DCT issues and are they expensive to fix?
So many of them suffer from the DCT issues. The least bad ones are the 2018s, but I suspect they're bound to go bad as Ford has given up on PowerShift. From 2012-2015 when I was still active in rental, at least 60% of the hundreds of Focuses I've driven shuddered and slipped. Same story with the Fiestas. To know that is affected, its like a newbie driving a manual transmission REALLY badly.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13086 posts
4694 upvotes
Ontario
Pick up a VW Golf, 2016 or newer so its the MK7. They are good reliable cars and come with a good transmission. Its small & likely drives as good if not better then the focus also the interior will be better.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1719 posts
915 upvotes
Ford Fusion for nearly the same price.....more room, no transmission issues
Cool Beans
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5218 posts
3647 upvotes
Ontario
engineered wrote: It cripples the car. The only fix is to swap to a manual transmission. Temporary fix, and dealer fix is to swap in a new transmission for $2-5k.
Or a used 2017/18 FFE if you can live with the range and smaller trunk space.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22552 upvotes
GTA
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Or a used 2017/18 FFE if you can live with the range and smaller trunk space.
From what I've seen people are asking new car prices for them. I'd wait until after the pandemic settles down. Next year we should have tons of new EVs to choose from.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)