• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2018 6:41 pm
Jul 12, 2008
16 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough

Advice on baffles with attic insulation

Hi there,

I was hoping to get some advice. I am going to have attic insulation done through greenon shortly. The guy that gave me the quote said initially said that I had no baffles and agreed to install 8 at $20 each. The technician that came to do the insulation forgot to bring the bafffles, but he said I wouldn't need them because there is some white material near the edges and baffles cannot be installed. I have uploaded the photos he took. Can someone please explain what is the purpose of this white material and should I have these removed before installing the baffles because it could be blocking a vent? Thanks for your help.
Images
  • 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • 4.JPG
  • 5.JPG
  • 6.JPG
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21828 posts
15582 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
They look like pieces of painted plaster blocking access. The technician is right that they are preventing the baffles from being installed.

They were probably installed to prevent either insulation from falling into the vents in the first place as it looks like you have cellulose insulation there. Unfortunately, they are probably also blocking most of the air flow into the attic and with more insulation (I'm assuming that you are putting enough to cover those pieces), there won't be any air flow at all. Your best bet is probably to remove one of those pieces and see what's on the other side first and then develop a plan of what to do next.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21239 posts
25703 upvotes
GTA
craftsman wrote: They look like pieces of painted plaster blocking access. The technician is right that they are preventing the baffles from being installed.

They were probably installed to prevent either insulation from falling into the vents in the first place as it looks like you have cellulose insulation there. Unfortunately, they are probably also blocking most of the air flow into the attic and with more insulation (I'm assuming that you are putting enough to cover those pieces), there won't be any air flow at all. Your best bet is probably to remove one of those pieces and see what's on the other side first and then develop a plan of what to do next.
+1

$20 a baffle though? wtf. I'm getting 40 baffles put in for $100. The installer should have removed that plaster and installed the baffles.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10254 posts
6623 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Absolutely need baffles... as important as the vents on top of roof.

You could diy, think 10 baffles are like $18 at the box stores.

Watch videos how done and take sturdy piece of wood so can rest on that... put wood on top of attic joists so don't fall thru drywall. Wear mask and long sleeves.

Wait for cooler day if go this route.

On another note... that's one uneducated insulation company if say do not need baffles... unless I misunderstand??
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12692 posts
7858 upvotes
Paris
OP do you have vented soffit?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
OP, baffles are very important. That the person doing your attic didn't stop and address that problem is kind of infuriating. You do need them, he just didn't want to deal with the problems at hand. Imagine some of the ultra hot days we have been getting and the heat being trapped in your attic. From what I've read it's not good for shingles, also you're going to get ice dams on your roof in the winter.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36968 posts
11408 upvotes
Ottawa
The other posters are right. Without baffles you will have no airflow and your attic will mold up in a hurry. Stagnant air is no good.
The most successful people are successful because they do not care about others’ opinions about them.
Jul 12, 2008
16 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

[/quote]
+1

$20 a baffle though? wtf. I'm getting 40 baffles put in for $100. The installer should have removed that plaster and installed the baffles.[/quote]

I knew that was not a good price. I tried to get another company just to do the baffles, but they said they only do it together with the insulation. I'm not very happy with this company given poor communication and high prices, but felt stuck as I was rushing to sign-up for greenon rebate before it ended. I will probably buy the baffles myself and have someone who is handy install them instead of doing it through the insulation guys.
Jerico wrote: OP do you have vented soffit?
Yes Jerico
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
infansa wrote:
I knew that was not a good price. I tried to get another company just to do the baffles, but they said they only do it together with the insulation. I'm not very happy with this company given poor communication and high prices, but felt stuck as I was rushing to sign-up for greenon rebate before it ended. I will probably buy the baffles myself and have someone who is handy install them instead of doing it through the insulation guys.
$20 a baffle is high for the insulation installer to charge since he is already there, even considering he has to remove that drywall between rafter bays. Doubt you will find someone to crawl in there now, lay on his belly on a board and fix this at $20 a baffle. So the insulation company shot in insulation a few inches above joists and tapered off close to the soffit areas or are we looking at before/after pics?
Get the original company back to install baffles and insulate to the baffles.
Jul 12, 2008
16 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Insulation has not been done yet because I was told that the baffles should be installed first to prevent the insulation from being trampled on. I had to reschedule because they forgot to bring the baffles they were supposed to install. But when the guys went up there they said I should have the white plaster removed first before they could install baffles. The guy said they could not remove it because it was my property which did not make much sense to me. In any case I think I will be better off hiring a handyman to deal with the plaster removal and baffle installation and do the insulation separately after that.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
infansa wrote: Insulation has not been done yet because I was told that the baffles should be installed first to prevent the insulation from being trampled on. I had to reschedule because they forgot to bring the baffles they were supposed to install. But when the guys went up there they said I should have the white plaster removed first before they could install baffles. The guy said they could not remove it because it was my property which did not make much sense to me. In any case I think I will be better off hiring a handyman to deal with the plaster removal and baffle installation and do the insulation separately after that.
In the land of woulda coulda shoulda, you should have sent them away. Because you didn't it's going to be a nightmare getting to those vents to put the baffles in now that you've had insulation blown in. So essentially you're going to pay thru the nose to have somebody go in and do this. You really need to go back to the insulation company with this. Because they didn't do the job correctly or STOP before this issue was addressed, you're now picking up the cost of this. This is not a fun job to pull the insulation back to get to the vents. Not to mention you have people tramping around all over your freshly blown insulation.

FWIW I have been stung in home renovations so I know now to look at the steps needed in a job so if any corners get cut, I can put a stop to it. Putting a stop to something before it gets done wrong is critical, otherwise it will usually cost you money.

IMHO the guy forgetting to bring the baffles to begin with is the place where you start arguing. He gave you a BS story because forgetting them would have been put on him. It worked out for him because your vents were covered and he used that as his excuse. Either way, this is not a fix you want to take your time on. At this point I'd also be worried at whether or not the electrical fixtures were properly enclosed. Sorry if I seem rantish, I've had this type of stuff happen to me, so now I am hyper vigilant when I have work done. I'm nice to contractors to a point, but as you're about to find out, being nice when stuff gets done wrong is going to cost YOU money. Mike Holmes's little mantra of "do it right the first time", is actually very very true.
Jul 12, 2008
16 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
Kuurgen wrote: In the land of woulda coulda shoulda, you should have sent them away. Because you didn't it's going to be a nightmare getting to those vents to put the baffles in now that you've had insulation blown in. So essentially you're going to pay thru the nose to have somebody go in and do this. You really need to go back to the insulation company with this. Because they didn't do the job correctly or STOP before this issue was addressed, you're now picking up the cost of this. This is not a fun job to pull the insulation back to get to the vents. Not to mention you have people tramping around all over your freshly blown insulation.

FWIW I have been stung in home renovations so I know now to look at the steps needed in a job so if any corners get cut, I can put a stop to it. Putting a stop to something before it gets done wrong is critical, otherwise it will usually cost you money.

IMHO the guy forgetting to bring the baffles to begin with is the place where you start arguing. He gave you a BS story because forgetting them would have been put on him. It worked out for him because your vents were covered and he used that as his excuse. Either way, this is not a fix you want to take your time on. At this point I'd also be worried at whether or not the electrical fixtures were properly enclosed. Sorry if I seem rantish, I've had this type of stuff happen to me, so now I am hyper vigilant when I have work done. I'm nice to contractors to a point, but as you're about to find out, being nice when stuff gets done wrong is going to cost YOU money. Mike Holmes's little mantra of "do it right the first time", is actually very very true.
I guess you didn't read my post above. I did send them away and have rescheduled the insulation until the baffles issue is sorted out, so all hope is not lost yet.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
It looks like drywall "friction fitted", just crammed into the space. If so just yank it out, don't see any screws.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
infansa wrote: I guess you didn't read my post above. I did send them away and have rescheduled the insulation until the baffles issue is sorted out, so all hope is not lost yet.

oops sh** sorry. didn't catch that.
consider another company. What kind of insulation company doesn't show up with baffles?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21828 posts
15582 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kuurgen wrote: oops sh** sorry. didn't catch that.
consider another company. What kind of insulation company doesn't show up with baffles?
Two guys with a truck and a cellulose blower...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21828 posts
15582 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Zamboni wrote: It looks like drywall "friction fitted", just crammed into the space. If so just yank it out, don't see any screws.
If you are going to do that, I would recommend that the OP (or said handyman) just install the baffles themselves as they would be right there anyway and would take at most 5 minutes per location to do everything.

And I would use these baffles with blown in cellulose - https://www.lowes.ca/insulation-accesso ... rm=baffles
Jul 12, 2008
16 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough
craftsman wrote: If you are going to do that, I would recommend that the OP (or said handyman) just install the baffles themselves as they would be right there anyway and would take at most 5 minutes per location to do everything.

And I would use these baffles with blown in cellulose - https://www.lowes.ca/insulation-accesso ... rm=baffles
will do, thanks!