• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2012 1:53 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2012
22 posts
1 upvote
Alberton

Advice on buying a Kinect for the Xbox 360

I have been looking around for a while because I had planned on getting something like this http://www.ebgames.ca/xbox-360/kinect-s ... ect/311811 for this Christmas, but I didn't see any sales for just the kinect alone, I was hoping to see a bundle of some sort, but all there was, was the console packages.

Just wondering if anyone thinks there will be a good pack/sale on it during boxing day? or should I just go ahead and get it, to have for when everyone comes over on Christmas. That bundle on EB is the lowest I saw that for, regular on amazon.ca is 150.

I would have just gone ahead and gotten the star wars console bundle that was on sale cyber monday at walmart.ca but I totally blanked and missed that, QQ lol
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3599 posts
920 upvotes
That's ok price for a Kinect with the newew games. Decent price is sub $100. Have seen refurb Kinect for last low as $70. But if you want it for a certain time, then there is no choice but to get it. Maybe check Kijijii since people tend sell stuff like kinect once the novelty wears off.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2012
22 posts
1 upvote
Alberton
well I could just wait, do you think something like just the kinect on it's own would be on sale during boxing day?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14490 posts
4648 upvotes
Montreal
I just meant that kinect is pretty well useless other than for dance games and it was more of a fad item than anything else. I can't think of one game that I played on it in over a year
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4861 posts
1840 upvotes
Ajax
RoyalRed wrote: I have been looking around for a while because I had planned on getting something like this http://www.ebgames.ca/xbox-360/kinect-s ... ect/311811 for this Christmas, but I didn't see any sales for just the kinect alone, I was hoping to see a bundle of some sort, but all there was, was the console packages.

Just wondering if anyone thinks there will be a good pack/sale on it during boxing day? or should I just go ahead and get it, to have for when everyone comes over on Christmas. That bundle on EB is the lowest I saw that for, regular on amazon.ca is 150.

I would have just gone ahead and gotten the star wars console bundle that was on sale cyber monday at walmart.ca but I totally blanked and missed that, QQ lol
Costco in store, $99 and it comes with 3 games.

Not useless if you use the features in games. i.e. I used it Madden 13 to call plays etc. Dance games, Kinect Fun Labs, and Kinect games, duh.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
68 upvotes
My 8 year old daughter uses the Kinect all the time. My 12 year old son doesn't because he plays mostly war like games.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14490 posts
4648 upvotes
Montreal
mrtvgame wrote: Not useless if you use the features in games. i.e. I used it Madden 13 to call plays etc. Dance games, Kinect Fun Labs, and Kinect games, duh.
I'll say this again and I've used kinect with everything, but the only valid reason to own it is for dance games.
Nov 29, 2011
957 posts
336 upvotes
Milton
JackWhyte wrote: I'll say this again and I've used kinect with everything, but the only valid reason to own it is for dance games.
Only if you can tollerate dance games.

I find the Fun Labs are the best thing with Kinect. For those that aren't familiar, it's the name for an assortment of tools, mini games, and gadgets all using Kinect. Most are free (or cheap).

They can be simply like turning yourself into a bobblehead or a boxing match, playing with invisible instruments, turning inanimate objects into kind of living cartoons, etc.

While the technology is entirely different from Wii, the intent was obviously to involve people that otherwise wouldn't be playing video games. So if you have people that will play the Wii but not anything with a traditional controller, you could have some fun with the Kinect.

Is it worth $100? Probably depends on if you have kids or not, and your budget.
Penalty Box
Dec 11, 2006
4861 posts
1840 upvotes
Ajax
JackWhyte wrote: I'll say this again and I've used kinect with everything, but the only valid reason to own it is for dance games.
And I'll say it again, obviously you have not played everything. Gunstringer is a gem. Kinect Sports Seasons 1 & 2 are great. Toy Story Mania also good for the little ones.

For OP, Best Buy online has a refurb that comes with 3 games for $89.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5444 posts
1107 upvotes
calgary
Kinect is great to play with my family, not so great for the 5 hour COD-type marathons. This wasn't really meant for the "core" gamer.

There is some really fun kinect games for familys:
Kinect Sports 1 & 2, Disneyland Adventures, and Once upon a cookie monster all come to mind and the new Elmo game is just an interactive TV show that my son watchs at least once a week.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14490 posts
4648 upvotes
Montreal
mrtvgame wrote: And I'll say it again, obviously you have not played everything. Gunstringer is a gem. Kinect Sports Seasons 1 & 2 are great. Toy Story Mania also good for the little ones.
wrong, I played them all but dance games are the only genre that allows kinect to give you a better gaming experience compared to using a traditional controller, not which games are tolerable on the kinect. for sports I would much rather play madden/fifa/nhl on the controller, same with shooters, and virtually any other game type than dance.

I am also not a big fan of dance games but I can at least understand the attraction to the body-mapping technology.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14490 posts
4648 upvotes
Montreal
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Kinect is great to play with my family, not so great for the 5 hour COD-type marathons. This wasn't really meant for the "core" gamer.

There is some really fun kinect games for familys:
Kinect Sports 1 & 2, Disneyland Adventures, and Once upon a cookie monster all come to mind and the new Elmo game is just an interactive TV show that my son watchs at least once a week.
once again, when I ask the all-important question of 'which game typess give me a better gaming experience on kinect than using an xbox controller?' the only answer I can come up with is dance. everything else, sports, shooter, rpg, action-adventure, etc. all work better and have much better games, on the controller. or is there some goty kinect-required game I am unfamiliar with lol