*Advice* Crossover vs Minivan

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2021 11:20 am
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3518 posts
2286 upvotes
Montreal
Is this redflagprobasketballplayers.com? I'm 6‘1 and can adjust all three rows for myself in Ascent, CX9, Atlas to be decently comfortable for an hour at least.
Aug 25, 2009
556 posts
112 upvotes
jzmtl wrote: Is this redflagprobasketballplayers.com? I'm 6‘1 and can adjust all three rows for myself in Ascent, CX9, Atlas to be decently comfortable for an hour at least.
Maximum an hour with knees in your face. I'm 5'9 and wouldn't want to be more than an hour in the third row seats of those suvs. Seats are just too close to the ground
Oct 20, 2010
575 posts
172 upvotes
I went the route of minivan to 3 row Mid size CUV.(Odyssey -->Pilot).
Not to say I regret the switch, but the pilot isn't as comfortable or spacious as the odyssey was.
Now 3 things I didn't expect to happen when I bought the pilot:
1. My in-laws to move in and losing mobility(meaning I will be driving them more often).
2. My kids growing quickly and those 3rd rows not being that comfortable on trips.
3. Planning on a 3rd kid.

I will not go back to minivan(wife doesn't want to).
My solution will be to go bigger. Started to look at a expedition max. Found out the powerboost engine will ne added in the refresh this fall(along with that center screen(from Mach E) and other minor changes.

Wife likes it. Need to test drive one to see how comfortable those seats will be.

My recommendation: get a minivan. The space/comfort you will get out of it, is worth over any cuv
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
15367 posts
4275 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
bugsbunny01 wrote: My solution will be to go bigger. Started to look at a expedition max. Found out the powerboost engine will ne added in the refresh this fall(along with that center screen(from Mach E) and other minor changes.
I hope you like going to the gas station... Gonna be a huge ouch. Starts at $80k too. You can get a fully loaded Kia Carnival and still have $30k leftover.
I spend too much time on this site
Oct 20, 2010
575 posts
172 upvotes
And you think the Pilot doesn't drink? I average 450kms at best per tank. Over 500 on long drives. I value comfort over fuel consumption. That 3.5v6 twin turbo on the expedition in real world fuel use is not that bad over the pilot. Forget EPA, since on my usage(I don't really care much for its consumption) it works. Mine and my family's comfort are important.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
7224 posts
1317 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a fam of 3, but extended visits all the time. Wife wanted to replace existing car with van but that would get underutilized more than 50% of the time. So I opted to get a 2nd car(civic). In the 50% of time where we all need to go out, we’ll just take both cars. For a road trip, we’ll rent.

I just took a trip now so had to rent a van, but man prices are through the roof now. It sucks but I know I saved in the long run.

If you do decide to get a minivan, don’t even look at the caravan. That’s the rental I’m stuck with and it feels like I’m driving a massive uhaul truck. Actually a uhaul may hav been easier to drive. This thing is 2020 and still has an antenna for radio.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
29924 posts
10643 upvotes
Minivan, Carnival, these are the better choices here.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4815 posts
2346 upvotes
Good article, and thanks for posting. I am surprised that they rated the Carnival better than the Sienna in every single category, except fuel efficiency.

I am curios about the quality of the cabin - "The leather (Carnival) is simply incredible. I would have killed for the heated/cooled, fully reclining, powered captain's chairs (with flip-up footrests) in the middle row in high school. "

To me, the quality of the materials and the comfort of the seats is very important, I'd like to take a closer look at the top of the line Carnival.

But to actually buy a Kia... just to think about the depreciation is going to keep me away...
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
15367 posts
4275 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jeeva86 wrote: I have a fam of 3, but extended visits all the time. Wife wanted to replace existing car with van but that would get underutilized more than 50% of the time. So I opted to get a 2nd car(civic). In the 50% of time where we all need to go out, we’ll just take both cars. For a road trip, we’ll rent.

I just took a trip now so had to rent a van, but man prices are through the roof now. It sucks but I know I saved in the long run.

If you do decide to get a minivan, don’t even look at the caravan. That’s the rental I’m stuck with and it feels like I’m driving a massive uhaul truck. Actually a uhaul may hav been easier to drive. This thing is 2020 and still has an antenna for radio.
The new Chrysler Caravan is good. It’s basically a cheaper Pacifica.
I spend too much time on this site