Advice On Cutting The Cord

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2021 1:30 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
894 posts
442 upvotes

Advice On Cutting The Cord

I am in the GTA and am looking to cut the cord and get rid of cable, but would still like to be able to see local TV. Plus, I don't want to wait for prime time shows to hit streaming services (although this certainly isn't a deal breaker). I also want sports - Leafs and Argos.

Can anyone suggest services that would get me local channels as well as NHL & CFL broadcasts?

Any other advice for cutting the cord? I am not the most technically adept person in the world so would prefer something that isn't overly complicated.
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 18th, 2021 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed URL
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8478 posts
5453 upvotes
Global Village
If you're looking for something simple to use and legal try the Fire stick. You can get Sportsnet Now, CBC, etc.

amazon-ca-fire-tv-stick-lite-34-99-2483344/
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
894 posts
442 upvotes
scoper wrote: If you're looking for something simple to use and legal try the Fire stick. You can get Sportsnet Now, CBC, etc.

amazon-ca-fire-tv-stick-lite-34-99-2483344/
I already have Roku and AppleTV, last thing I need is another streaming box! But if Firestick provides access, it would be the way to go.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3429 posts
2210 upvotes
Mississauga
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: I am in the GTA and am looking to cut the cord and get rid of cable, but would still like to be able to see local TV. Plus, I don't want to wait for prime time shows to hit streaming services (although this certainly isn't a deal breaker). I also want sports - Leafs and Argos.

Can anyone suggest services that would get me local channels as well as NHL & CFL broadcasts?

Any other advice for cutting the cord? I am not the most technically adept person in the world so would prefer something that isn't overly complicated.

And what about streaming boxes like the one linked here:

https://uprhomesystems.com/
If you do not want cable yet want to watch popular Live TV, and all the hit shows as soon as they hit TV, then you are pretty much looking at gray market IPTV subscriptions. That vendor that you linked is also pretty much the same thing.
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
894 posts
442 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: If you do not want cable yet want to watch popular Live TV, and all the hit shows as soon as they hit TV, then you are pretty much looking at gray market IPTV subscriptions. That vendor that you linked is also pretty much the same thing.

Thanks. I know next to nothing about IPTV, gray market or otherwise.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3429 posts
2210 upvotes
Mississauga
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote: Thanks. I know next to nothing about IPTV, gray market or otherwise.
Basically live TV over an Internet connection. It costs anywhere between 10-15$ a month. The providers basically "steal" and transmit the live tv streams from many countries. Some providers also have a VOD section.

All these pre configured streaming boxes being sold online and on Kijiji are pretty much this.

If you ask my honest opinion, then cutting the cord is no longer cheaper as the streaming world has fragmented over the last 2 years. If you want to watch all popular shows and sports, and want to do it legally, then you are looking at around 50-100$ a month for various subscriptions.

If you get a gray market iptv sub, and pirate the shows, then yes cutting the cord is cheaper in that case.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
3208 posts
1175 upvotes
Lévis
Might want to install an antenna. A bit of an investment but after that it's 0$. It won't cover all your needs but you can complete with some things like chromecast or fire TV or HD Homerun or Tablo...
Pourquoi pas?
Feb 28, 2012
597 posts
475 upvotes
Vaughan
You can ask (or pay) a friend or family member for their login to watch online. My sister lets me use her bell log in and most of the channels she pays for are available online or through the app. Some sports were subject to blackout which wasn't a problem for me because...

For NHL and other sports, I used sportsurge for the past year and it worked really well:
https://sportsurge.net/
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3802 posts
2770 upvotes
B.C.
I'm copying here my link from another thread. These are all TV networks' Web sites/apps that you can watch for free providing you use a VPN from the applicable country. They're free to watch in that country. I don't know if Canuck sports are on any of them, but I will say there's plenty of internation (from their POV) content and lots of sports. You'll be surprised what you'll find on them: how-many-streaming-services-too-many-2481559/#p34824907
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4598 posts
1832 upvotes
GTA
Hope the OP doesn't mind that I piggyback on this thread. I am increasingly watching less and less cable TV and given all of my promotions with Rogers have expired and I absolutely hate the song and dance that you have to go through to get new discounts, I'm strongly considering just cancelling my cable.

I am thinking of giving IPTV a shot as I have family and colleagues who both use it exclusively and are happy. I will keep my Netflix, Prime and Disney+ subscriptions and would only want the IPTV to offer me live news (locals and across Canada) and most importantly access to live basketball games, especially Raptors. Access to things like movies and children's programming would be a bonus.

Can anyone point in the direction of a good box and service provider in the GTA based upon the above?

I think getting even two IPTV subscriptions and beefing up my internet (currently on 150u) I'll come out way ahead.
Feb 24, 2018
772 posts
469 upvotes
Anyone know how to get access to Roku web content via a browser like they have in the US without having to use a VPN? They seem to have a lot of free content and I don't wanna have to buy a Roku device since I already have a Fire Stick.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5266 posts
1995 upvotes
Is anyone allowed to suggest a IPTV service? Mine went underground and you can only pay by Bitcoin now so I'm not doing that.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2287 posts
1628 upvotes
GTA
A lot of channels now stream over YouTube. +1 for the Firestick.
Nov 22, 2004
319 posts
46 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: Is anyone allowed to suggest a IPTV service? Mine went underground and you can only pay by Bitcoin now so I'm not doing that.
Same question. Message me with referrals, thanks!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)