• Oct 18th, 2019 8:21 am
[OP]
Apr 21, 2017
553 posts
682 upvotes
Chelsea

Advice on escalation option for grandfathered plan with Rogers

Good day all,

I've come here as many are more knowledgeable and resourceful than I am, and I hope that I'm able to get to the bottom of this.

Here's the current situation :
Currently have 4 lines with Rogers Small Business Mobility
-First line @ 90$
-3 extra lines @ 65 each, total of 195.
Plan comprises of 6GB initial, plus 4GB added @ 10$ when we go over (Flex Plan). Due to our constantly variable usage, it is the most advantageous plan for our situation (screw all of their new *Infinite* plans).

We were paying 30$/line for 24 months for financed devices (4x iPhone X); said 24 months ended October 10th 2019.

I called tonight, looking to reduce this extra 30$/line, as we have completed the 24 months financing period. Lady over the phone was able to remove the 30$ on secondary devices, which places them in BYOD @ 35$ each.

However, she said that due to it being a grandfathered, share everything plan, she's unable to remove the 30$ charge on the primary line. I explained my understanding, which was that I signed a contract, financing my device over 24 months @ 30/month, bla bla bla, was on the phone for 2 hours, spoke with a supervisor, retention team, ALL. Nothing. Could. Be Done.

Now, unless I am mistaken, I fulfilled my part of the contract, i.e. paid the device, and therefore they should remove that charge/credit 30$ on my main line monthly (if it's a system issue). I'm ready to contact CRTC/OPC (Office de protection du consommateur, in Québec), but I would appreciate input on the matter, if anybody has been through this situation in the past.

TL;DR : Financed my phone over 24 months @ 30$/mths. 24 months period over, Rogers doesn't want to remove 30$ charge on my first line, as my plan is grandfathered.

Cheers all for your help,

Simon
3 replies
Sep 4, 2019
20 posts
38 upvotes
When you finish the contract Rogers does not remove the financing portion. Ie: 65 dollar 10 gig plan with 20 dollar month financing on a new phone. At the end of the 2 years your bill remains 85 dollars, it does not drop down to 65 dollars. I went though this earlier this year, they won't budge.
Mar 2, 2012
187 posts
296 upvotes
MILTON
Is it just me or Canadian standard is getting lower and lower day by day. Companies, their employees and just people in general are doing whatever they want because they know there is nothing or not much you can do.

When I hear about things like this, I get pissed off.

I am not sure how good of a deal your plan is but the best thing that you can do is switch from Rogers to someone else. You probably will get even better deal than what you currently have and/or brand new phones.

If you do get new phones and you don't want them you could sell them and offset the cost of your monthly charges.

If you are not getting new phones wouldn't your plan be comparable to unlimited BYOD with other providers?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1897 upvotes
Ontario
SimonL556 wrote: Good day all,

I've come here as many are more knowledgeable and resourceful than I am, and I hope that I'm able to get to the bottom of this.

Here's the current situation :
Currently have 4 lines with Rogers Small Business Mobility
-First line @ 90$
-3 extra lines @ 65 each, total of 195.
Plan comprises of 6GB initial, plus 4GB added @ 10$ when we go over (Flex Plan). Due to our constantly variable usage, it is the most advantageous plan for our situation (screw all of their new *Infinite* plans).

We were paying 30$/line for 24 months for financed devices (4x iPhone X); said 24 months ended October 10th 2019.

I called tonight, looking to reduce this extra 30$/line, as we have completed the 24 months financing period. Lady over the phone was able to remove the 30$ on secondary devices, which places them in BYOD @ 35$ each.

However, she said that due to it being a grandfathered, share everything plan, she's unable to remove the 30$ charge on the primary line. I explained my understanding, which was that I signed a contract, financing my device over 24 months @ 30/month, bla bla bla, was on the phone for 2 hours, spoke with a supervisor, retention team, ALL. Nothing. Could. Be Done.

Now, unless I am mistaken, I fulfilled my part of the contract, i.e. paid the device, and therefore they should remove that charge/credit 30$ on my main line monthly (if it's a system issue). I'm ready to contact CRTC/OPC (Office de protection du consommateur, in Québec), but I would appreciate input on the matter, if anybody has been through this situation in the past.

TL;DR : Financed my phone over 24 months @ 30$/mths. 24 months period over, Rogers doesn't want to remove 30$ charge on my first line, as my plan is grandfathered.

Cheers all for your help,

Simon
Since you’ve talked with multiple levels at Rogers, I’d just make a complaint with CCTS (https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/). Yes, you could try to escalate to the Office of the President, but in your shoes I’d rather have it be delivered through a CCTS complaint forcing them to come up with a resolution.

Explain in your complaint that you had a contractual agreement with Rogers to remove a charge after 24 months. They are unilaterally breaking the contract because of a stupid reason (“grandfathered plan” - not an acceptable reason since it’s their own grandfathered plan, they are in control of that and if they changed market plans and that results in unilaterally breaking a contract, it’s not on you to absorb the added cost ‘cause’).

The complaint will ask how you want to remedy the situation and stand firm you want the temporary financing charge dropped from your account. Even if they “can’t”, I’ve seen numerous people get resolutions through static credits to offset the amount.