Advice on fixing my current PC or buying a new one

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2021 2:03 pm
[OP]
Apr 15, 2010
128 posts
76 upvotes

Advice on fixing my current PC or buying a new one

So the last few days I'm having trouble with my PC. It was staying stuck in sleep mode. After a reset, it would go as far as the Windows Logo and then go to a black screen. I couldn't even access BIOS.

After resetting the bios by pulling the CMOS battery I managed to get it to boot up normally and it worked fine for the day but my sound card was no longer detected.

The next day after I couldn't wake it from sleep again. I had to pull the battery again but it still wasn't working. I plugged my monitor into my onboard video card instead of my GPU and it is working. My GPU is not even being detected in device manger.

On the third day, the same problem but now I got the option to restore from a previous configuration. It is still restoring but I am not too optimistic at this point.

When I managed to get to boot it was showing this error on the first day: "OVERCLOCKING FAILED, PLEASE ENTER SETUP TO RECONFIGURE YOUR SYSTEM"

On the second day it starts up to this "Memory OK! Succeeds in system booting! Enter BIOS setup menu

From my few online searches I guess the motherboard or CPU is faulty. But maybe it's something else I don't know.

My PC is from 2012 but I really like it and can't really afford to replace it unless I can get a decent deal on a similar one ( and hopefully lighter because I may move to another country with it) .

I've never built a PC before but I was thinking I can either buy the same motherboard ($135) and see if it solves my problem. Or should I buy both the board ($135) and CPU ($180) ? Or just buy a different board and CPU (recommendations?) [ Also note: The onboard sound card and a few USB outlets stopped working a few years ago. And the power button often sticks. ]

I am wondering if my GPU is also permanently fried or not because I need dual monitors and my onboard graphics doesn't support it.

This is my PC:
Zalman tower gs1200
Nvidia GeForce gtx 670 (aug 2005)
PSU corsair tx850m
Corsair Vengence pro ddr3 1600mhz 8gb x2, 4gb X2 ( 24 gb total)
motherboard Asus p8z77-v pro (2012)
intel i7 3770k @ 3.5 GHz overclocked
Dual 32" monitors
Samsung evo ssd
Windows 7 pro

Please give me your advice
Should I:
1) Change the motherboard (same one)
2) Change the CPU
3) Change motherboard and CPU (same ones)
4) Keep whatever parts are salvageable ( Ram, PSU, maybe GPU) and build a new PC
5) Get a new whole new PC for a good price ( suggestions?)
Images
  • zalman1.jpeg
  • zalman2.jpeg
  • zalman3.jpeg
  • zalman4.jpeg
  • zalman5.jpeg
12 replies
Oct 1, 2009
563 posts
241 upvotes
West coast
I would start with cleaning it out first. There are too many variables that could trigger your issues.

At close to 300, you may get a decent enough new to you setup wifi you could always pull parts from.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8432 posts
3010 upvotes
Maple
Did you apply new paste?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4102 posts
1242 upvotes
Get all Bios setting back to default, no overclocking and see what happens. Should be able to see the tempurature once you get into bios too. Perhaps a new CMOS Battery too. You really shouldn't be overclocking with a stock intel cooler anyways. If that does not work then with the symptoms you mentioned of USB ports failing, sound card failing then it's probably your motherboard failing. In that case see if you can source an old one for $50 or less. I wouldn't spend any more than that.

If you're going to buy a new board, buy a totally new platform. even current generation i3 will beat the i7 3770k , and you'll get all the amenities of a new platform like m.2 nvme, usb c.. etc etc. Then sell your old CPU and RAM, should be able to get $100-150 from that at least.

Out of your old components you can bring over the power supply, SSD and tower ( but sticky power button ? ) Video card you might not have a choice in new one since they're in short supply currently.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2010
128 posts
76 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Did you apply new paste?
No, should I? I took the CPU out and paste is pretty much gone. Is applying paste something that people do as regular maintenance?
I just cleaned it out good. I usually keep it clean but had some flouring done last week with a lots of dust around.
[OP]
Apr 15, 2010
128 posts
76 upvotes
I also monitor the temp and fans and it never gets hot
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8432 posts
3010 upvotes
Maple
bougie_44 wrote: Is applying paste something that people do as regular maintenance?
Especially when you are over-clocking? are you? Should apply 6-8 years under normal situation.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2488 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I would first reset the bios back to it's default settings. Make sure that it's not overclocked (as somebody has mentioned already).

If that doesn't work then get a spare SSD (borrow one from a friend or buy a cheap 120 GB or 256 GB one) and install Windows on it. Then put your computer in sleep mode and see if it happens. It could be a software issue. If it works then install all of the Windows updates and try it again.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Apr 15, 2010
128 posts
76 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: I would first reset the bios back to it's default settings. Make sure that it's not overclocked (as somebody has mentioned already).

If that doesn't work then get a spare SSD (borrow one from a friend or buy a cheap 120 GB or 256 GB one) and install Windows on it. Then put your computer in sleep mode and see if it happens. It could be a software issue. If it works then install all of the Windows updates and try it again.
Thanks let me try that
[OP]
Apr 15, 2010
128 posts
76 upvotes
Today my computer is working like normal. Even when using my old GPU. I rebooted it many times with no issues.

The only issue left is my sound card. The onboard one stopped working a long time ago. But the one i have plugged in also not detected. I bought a new replacement sound card and that is not detected either. I tried in both slots. Maybe I have to get a USB sound card or something.

I am also back at old BIOS not sure if i should risk updating it via USB
Feb 9, 2008
341 posts
283 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Have you removed the old sound card(s) drivers? Do they show up in device manager?
[OP]
Apr 15, 2010
128 posts
76 upvotes
zerod wrote: Have you removed the old sound card(s) drivers? Do they show up in device manager?
No it doesn't show up in device manager. Only the onboard sound card shows up but it doesn't work. Im not sure how to remove the driver if the device is not detected? I reset my BIOS to default settings, and in BIOS settings there is an option to disable onboard sound card and few other options. So far playing around with that, none of those worked either,
Feb 9, 2008
341 posts
283 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bougie_44 wrote: No it doesn't show up in device manager. Only the onboard sound card shows up but it doesn't work. Im not sure how to remove the driver if the device is not detected? I reset my BIOS to default settings, and in BIOS settings there is an option to disable onboard sound card and few other options. So far playing around with that, none of those worked either,
In device manager, click View > Show hidden devices
Go to "Sound, video and game controllers"
Right-click the sound card and choose Uninstall device
If your sound card isn't using some generic Microsoft driver, there should be a check box "Delete the driver software for this device". Tick the box, then click uninstall.
The sound card should be detected again on the next boot and attempt to install the drivers from Windows Update, if you deleted it.
Also check your optional windows updates to see if newer sound card drivers show up there, if it still doesn't work. Alternatively, there's probably some older drivers on your motherboard's drivers download page.