• Sep 6th, 2019 5:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta

Advice on Hardwood in bedrooms or not

I am about to close on a new build house and am planning to rip out most of the carpet/tiling and have hardwood installed. I have 2 kids aged 9 and 6, no pets. I have attached my floor plans, I also did get the optional bedroom and bath on the second floor.

We chose good tiles for all the bathrooms/laundry room/ entryway (2 story foyer)/ optional drop zone area and walk in pantry because we know it's a pain in the butt to rip out all the tiles in small spaces. So those tiles are upgraded.

Note: The cabinets are installed BEFORE the flooring and are sitting on the concrete slab. This is in the western USA so there are no basements. The subfloor is concrete slab.
Note 2: We got the optional additional bedroom and bathroom
Note 3: we also got the covered balcony with a 12 foot slider off the master bedroom

Original plan
1st Floor
1) Rip out the standard builder tile in kitchen and dining room and replace with hardwood
2) RIp out carpet in Great Room, Den, Guest Suite and replace with hardwood

2nd floor
1) Rip out carpet in Master bedroom, optional additional bedroom, bonus room, walk in closet, bedroom #3 and bedroom #2 and replace all with hardwood

Total cost of the project = $20,000 (materials and labour)

Option 2
1st floor
1) Same as the above EXCEPT we will keep the Guest Suite as carpet

2nd floor
1) the bonus room and the hallway entry into the master bedroom and walk in closet will be replaced with hardwood BUT the Master Bedroom and ALL other bedrooms will remain as carpet

Total Project Cost: $14,000

We are now toying with another option. OPTION 3, which is the same as option 2 BUT the entire master bedroom (additional 16, 5" x 16, 1") will be hardwood, but all other bedrooms upstairs and downstairs will remain carpet We have not yet priced this out but will probably be about $2k more than option 2.

WIfe has allergies so was thinking of option 3 and also would look good if I put some nice tiled flooring on the optional covered deck. However, would it look weird that the master bedroom is the ONLY bedroom that is hardwood and all others are carpet? My kids still like to playfight and dance around so liked the sound dampening aspect of the carpet in their rooms.

Any thoughts?
Images
  • laramie_1a_1920.png
  • laramie_2a_1920.png
36 replies
Aug 16, 2011
366 posts
234 upvotes
OTTAWA
Note for you ---> whatever wife wants... go with it... that's the best way to go about it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
Jeremyl007 wrote: Note for you ---> whatever wife wants... go with it... that's the best way to go about it
Lol!! Wife is being passive on this one because she got the cabinets that she wanted and that large balcony off the master. She is deferring to me on this one. Want to make the wise choice.
Aug 11, 2019
187 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Hardwood, 100%.

Looks much nicer, and easier to clean.
Not sure about what’s better to preserve warmth.
Full Time Realtor
GTA & Surrounding Areas
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
Dayravi wrote: Hardwood, 100%.

Looks much nicer, and easier to clean.
Not sure about what’s better to preserve warmth.
So do all hardwood? Only reason was thinking carpet in bedrooms is because it is softer on the feet, sound dampening, and also kids don’t get hurt if they are play fighting etc.

If kids were older I would do hardwood for sure. But not sure what to do! So torn.
Jun 3, 2018
176 posts
262 upvotes
I grew up in houses with both hardwood and carpet. Hardwood is nicer to look at and easier to clean, but scratches easily (my mom freaked out at us). Carpet gets stained, but felt nicer on the feet.

My advice: Put down hardwood and cover it with cheap carpet with the intention of pulling it out once your kids leave.
Dec 25, 2005
480 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Get the hardwood everywhere. Keep the curent carpet that you take out and have it as area rugs in the kids rooms/ family room for play fight, etc.

Since the carpet is new get some use out of it.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4211 posts
3718 upvotes
Ottawa
One of the builders here in Ottawa has a model home with carpet in the secondary bedrooms. The upstairs loft, hallway and master all have hardwood and it looks fine. What are you putting on the staircase? Carpet or hardwood?

Personally, I hate hardwood in bedrooms and would rather carpet. Just a personal choice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
skeet50 wrote: One of the builders here in Ottawa has a model home with carpet in the secondary bedrooms. The upstairs loft, hallway and master all have hardwood and it looks fine. What are you putting on the staircase? Carpet or hardwood?

Personally, I hate hardwood in bedrooms and would rather carpet. Just a personal choice.
We upgraded the stairs through the builder and they are hardwood. It will match the hardwood I will be putting in the rest of the house.
Aug 11, 2019
187 posts
206 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, hardwood everywhere.
You’d have to replace carpet more often than hardwood.

You’ll get used to hardwood on your feet after a few days.

You can do a movable throw carpet in the kids play areas, so you can get rid of it as the kids get older.

Good luck! Please keep us updated.

abc123yyz wrote: So do all hardwood? Only reason was thinking carpet in bedrooms is because it is softer on the feet, sound dampening, and also kids don’t get hurt if they are play fighting etc.

If kids were older I would do hardwood for sure. But not sure what to do! So torn.
Full Time Realtor
GTA & Surrounding Areas
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
Dayravi wrote: Yes, hardwood everywhere.
You’d have to replace carpet more often than hardwood.

You’ll get used to hardwood on your feet after a few days.

You can do a movable throw carpet in the kids play areas, so you can get rid of it as the kids get older.

Good luck! Please keep us updated.
Thanks got to see what’s in the budget, need to budget for lighting and blinds as well.

For some reason the builders don’t put lights in the bedrooms. It’s capped.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3241 posts
597 upvotes
North Etobicoke
abc123yyz wrote: Lol!! Wife is being passive on this one because she got the cabinets that she wanted and that large balcony off the master. She is deferring to me on this one. Want to make the wise choice.
You haven't been married long enough if you beleive that...lol
May 9, 2019
155 posts
250 upvotes
GTA
Hardwood everywhere. Use large area rugs in spots you're concerned about your kids scratching or getting hurt on. There are good ones on Wayfair.
Some say they're sick of my crap.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8531 posts
4444 upvotes
I would put in hardwood and the REAL hardwood if you can. Nowadays everyone seems to be putting in the prefab stuff. Looks pretty good but not really the same as the real hardwood. Love the natural maple but all REAL hardwood looks and feels fantastic. You can always use area rugs where needed if you want something warmer or softer on the feet.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10014 posts
9724 upvotes
Markham
abc123yyz wrote: Lol!! Wife is being passive on this one because she got the cabinets that she wanted and that large balcony off the master. She is deferring to me on this one. Want to make the wise choice.
Wife... passive... deferring...

This doesn't seem right. You need to re-re-think everything.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1921 posts
2575 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
How old are your kids?

We much prefer carpet over hardwood in bedrooms & the bonus room. Dining & Kitchen is tile, and living room is hardwood floor.

We upgarded the carpet to a high quality one which is super soft and very comfortable. Carpet > hardwood for warmth in winter as well. Carpet won't scratch and it's a LOT easier to get dirt/stains off of the carpet. Note: we don't eat anything upstairs so no chances of getting stains.
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: Dividend-paying individual stocks (tax purposes)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
Menthol wrote: You haven't been married long enough if you beleive that...lol
Lol married for 11 years and together for 19.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
Anikiri wrote: Wife... passive... deferring...

This doesn't seem right. You need to re-re-think everything.
Lol she already go what mattered most to her which was the cabinets, an extra bedroom and bath, as well as the large balcony which she has already claimed as her own. Other than the main floor being hardwood she is deferring to me (small concession in retrospect)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
Thanks for everyone’s input. If we can afford it will probably do hardwood throughout. It’s easier to throw down area rugs vs regretting NOT putting in the hardwood up front. Will look at our budget tonight.

Kids are 9 and 6. Girl (9) and boy (6).