• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 11:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2255 posts
298 upvotes

Advice on incident with rental car, credit card, & insurance

Apologies if this isn't a true finance question, but I'm asking because of credit card implications.

On the weekend I rented a car from my regular Hertz location. I used my Mastercard, which has rental insurance. I returned the car through their quick check-out process, received an email receipt. Business as usual.

Yesterday morning I received a voicemail and email saying there was damage on the car and that I would have to fill out an accident form, etc. The photos showed a small scuff on one of the rocker panels. I'm 99% certain I did not cause this damage - I'm pretty good at inspecting the vehicle before I drop it off. I'm a bit skeptical/frustrated because this is not the first time this has happened with this Hertz location.

The easiest thing to do, obviously, is to just take "responsibility" and submit a claim through Mastercard. I'm wondering what happens if I try to dispute it with Hertz, though. Can they charge anything against my card when the rental transaction has already been finalized? Can they take collections action against me?

Thanks for the advice.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10742 posts
5525 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Whenever I return the car, I always make sure a staff member comes and inspects the car so no surprises afterwards. In your case, it's going to be hard to proof your innocences. Didn't you inspect the car before driving off the lot when you first picked up?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 8, 2017
891 posts
429 upvotes
Bummer OP. If you you took some pics before (when you picked up) and some when you dropped it off, you should be ok
Sep 6, 2018
212 posts
88 upvotes
Yes ofcourse they can charge your card for the damage and try to collect the $$..

You likely gave permission in the document you signed when you rented the car.

You say that you inspected the car when you returned it.. But did you inspect the vehicle for damages before you rented it ?

RedFlagRobot wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 9:59 am
Apologies if this isn't a true finance question, but I'm asking because of credit card implications.

On the weekend I rented a car from my regular Hertz location. I used my Mastercard, which has rental insurance. I returned the car through their quick check-out process, received an email receipt. Business as usual.

Yesterday morning I received a voicemail and email saying there was damage on the car and that I would have to fill out an accident form, etc. The photos showed a small scuff on one of the rocker panels. I'm 99% certain I did not cause this damage - I'm pretty good at inspecting the vehicle before I drop it off. I'm a bit skeptical/frustrated because this is not the first time this has happened with this Hertz location.

The easiest thing to do, obviously, is to just take "responsibility" and submit a claim through Mastercard. I'm wondering what happens if I try to dispute it with Hertz, though. Can they charge anything against my card when the rental transaction has already been finalized? Can they take collections action against me?

Thanks for the advice.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2187 posts
1053 upvotes
Kitchener
I am curious as to what the credit card implications would be. If the MC offers insurance, they'll cover the costs, perhaps minus deductible, if there is one.

The odd time that I have rented, I just opt to pay for their insurance. That extra $20/day buys a lot of peace of mind if you don't rent too much (maybe once or twice a year for me).
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3807 posts
3885 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RedFlagRobot wrote:
I'm 99% certain I did not cause this damage - I'm pretty good at inspecting the vehicle before I drop it off.
What happened the other 1% of the time? The lamp post came running and hit your car?
Jul 25, 2015
334 posts
136 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
A small scuff shouldn't be considered as damage though. Can we see that picture?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2155 posts
1483 upvotes
When you used the quick check out process, was the vehicle inspected by an attendant prior to your leaving?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
7156 posts
1571 upvotes
Mississauga
RedFlagRobot wrote:

Thanks for the advice.
If this isn't the first time this has happened why would you drop the car off overnight. If it happened once it will happen again.

Yes they can charge your credit card. Tell your credit card company the story and let them decide what to do.