• Apr 28th, 2020 12:44 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2017
55 posts
18 upvotes

Advice on making online bill payment through credit card

Hi guys,

My university only accept online bill payments on tuition fees, but I want to get some cash return through paying by credit card.
Is there any safe method that I can use to make online bill payment through a credit card?
Preferably no service charge, but if the service charge is low, it's ok.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Try CTFS.
Dec 27, 2017
55 posts
18 upvotes
I don't get you. Are you recommending Canadian Tire Bank? I have a credit card.
Dec 27, 2017
55 posts
18 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Try CTFS.
I don't get you. Are you recommending Canadian Tire Bank? I have a credit card.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28624 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have a Canadian Tire credit card, then yes. Go to Payments, add payee, search for the payee. This is one of the only ways to pay by credit card at many places that don't take credit cards but do take online bill payments from banks.
Dec 27, 2017
55 posts
18 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: If you have a Canadian Tire credit card, then yes. Go to Payments, add payee, search for the payee. This is one of the only ways to pay by credit card at many places that don't take credit cards but do take online bill payments from banks.
Thanks for the explanation. Good to know. Unfortunately I don't have a Canadian Tire credit card. Is there any other way? I see there's payment platform like Plastiq, but I never used it before.
Sep 16, 2012
736 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
tatuya wrote: Thanks for the explanation. Good to know. Unfortunately I don't have a Canadian Tire credit card. Is there any other way? I see there's payment platform like Plastiq, but I never used it before.
I recommend you or your parents get a card then. It's how I've been paying tuition, bank payment-only utilities, etc. No other bank provides this service for no fee.

Plastiq will charge a service fee of 2.5%, Paysimply 2.25% on Paypal. CTFS charges no fee and you earn 0.8%/1% (depending on regular or world elite) cashback on bill payments.
Aug 5, 2018
566 posts
872 upvotes
For tuition payments, I suggest getting Canadian Tire Cash advantage, where you get 1% to 1.5% cashback for no fee, when paying through their online portal, by 'payees'.

If you use Plastiq at 2.5%, you need to make sure that you are working on a sign up bonus for a card. The regular earn rate of any credit card is much lower than 2.5%.
Sep 16, 2012
736 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
xx1what wrote: For tuition payments, I suggest getting Canadian Tire Cash advantage, where you get 1% to 1.5% cashback for no fee, when paying through their online portal, by 'payees'.

If you use Plastiq at 2.5%, you need to make sure that you are working on a sign up bonus for a card. The regular earn rate of any credit card is much lower than 2.5%.
Not quite 1% and up:

Cash back rewards are calculated as follows: at the rate of
0.25% on the first $1,500 of net new purchases; at the rate of 0.50% on net new purchases above $1500 up to
and including $3000; at the rate of 1.0% on net new purchases above $3,000 up to and including $24,000; and
at the rate of 1.5% on net new purchases above $24,000.

https://www.ctfs.com/content/ctfs/en/ca ... ntage.html
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
DaveProductions wrote: Not quite 1% and up:

Cash back rewards are calculated as follows: at the rate of
0.25% on the first $1,500 of net new purchases; at the rate of 0.50% on net new purchases above $1500 up to
and including $3000; at the rate of 1.0% on net new purchases above $3,000 up to and including $24,000; and
at the rate of 1.5% on net new purchases above $24,000.

https://www.ctfs.com/content/ctfs/en/ca ... ntage.html
With university tuition, you'll quickly reach the 1+% cashback spend tier.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Sep 16, 2012
736 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: With university tuition, you'll quickly reach the 1+% cashback spend tier.
Agreed, but I still think you're better off doing the math and calculating the tradeoff between the 1/0.8% on Triangle vs just the Cash Advantage tiered system, among any other perks i.e roadside, groceries on the WE.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
DaveProductions wrote: Agreed, but I still think you're better off doing the math and calculating the tradeoff between the 1/0.8% on Triangle vs just the Cash Advantage tiered system, among any other perks i.e roadside, groceries on the WE.
University student making $80K?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
DaveProductions wrote: Agreed, but I still think you're better off doing the math and calculating the tradeoff between the 1/0.8% on Triangle vs just the Cash Advantage tiered system, among any other perks i.e roadside, groceries on the WE.
Take both!
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]