Students

Advice on Medical Laboratory Science Program

[OP]
Feb 7, 2018
43 posts
20 upvotes

Advice on Medical Laboratory Science Program

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for some advice on which program to choose. Just a little background, I'm finishing up my bachelor this year and I've applied to St.Lawrence, Cambrian and Michener for the MLT program and I've applied to Centennial for the MLA (technician program). I got accepted into Centennial for the MLA program, accepted into Cambrian for MLT, waitlisted for St.Lawrence and a MMI invite from Michener.

My shot at St.Lawrence is pretty low considering my number on the waitlist. Michener has always been my first choice because it's located in Toronto. However my GPA isn't the best so the MMI is the only thing that will save me. So I need a plan B. Should I go to Cambrian for 3 years and get a MLT license or go to Centennial for 1 year and get a MLA licence and reapply to Michener and St.Lawrence again for their 2019 intake? I'm reluctant on going to Cambrian because I've only been hearing negative comments regarding their MLT program plus it's very far.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
10 replies
Mar 26, 2018
12 posts
2 upvotes
Can't say I know a ton about this because I am just starting the MLS (MLT in St. Clair) myself this fall. BUT when I went there for the open house a few weeks back I met with a lot of the current students and talked to them for quite a bit of time. One of the ladies there was older (not in 20's like most of those in the program) and had actually done the medical lab technician program a few years before and had come back to do the MLT program because even though she graduated top in her class she was unable to find any work out of the program. Because it was a 1-year program there were a lot of people that just take it in hopes of getting a quick diploma to get a job.

I also met with another student who told me that he took the medical lab technician program before taking the medical lab technologist one because he wasn't sure if it was a field that he wanted to go in or not, so he used that 1 year to try and see if he was interested in it.

So unless you're unsure if the program is right for you I would think that taking the MLA program might be a bit of a waste of time(?) (just because it might not help you at all). Then again if Michener is really where you want to go, then an extra year isn't much in the grand scheme of things, it could help improve your grades potentially, and you might get a bit more experience and improve your chances of getting in in 2019.

Hope this is somewhat helpful and good luck at your MMI! :)
May 11, 2017
28 posts
12 upvotes
Do not bother with MLA, there are private career collages cranking out grads every 4 months. I would just do the MLT at Cambrian (coming from someone who went to Michener for MLT).
Oct 21, 2014
71 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My advice to you is go to Cambrian college if you cannot get into Michener. If you look at the 2017 June CSMLS national report card, only 19 kids at St Clair made it to 3rd year and were eligible to take the CSMLS. Similarly, 21 kids at St Lawrence made it past the program to take the CSMLS. Michener and Cambrian have 58 and 37 CSMLS takers respectively. Go to the school that has the lesser failure rate. Not all programs are created equal. Some are easier or harder than necessary. Both St Clair and St Lawrence probably each had 60 kids at the start of the program.
Feb 8, 2019
14 posts
14 upvotes
Hi

I’m just finishing up my BSc at Western University and have applied to Micheners, Cambrian and St. Lawrence for 2019. Along with what seems like everyone else, Micheners is my top choice. Though my grades are high and competitive, I fear that I will never do well enough on the MMI to get in. I’ve seen people say it’s best to just take the year off if you don’t get into Micheners and try again the next year, considering how much lower the number of CSMLS test takers there are at every other program in Ontario.

My question is if there’s anyone at Cambrian who can shed light on what their experience is like. I’ve heard horror stories of grade cut offs for labs and exams being so high that ~50% of the class drops out from the program and that the professors are disorganized and don’t care. Has anyone had a positive experience at Cambrian? I am so ready to finish up school and just enter the job market and “adulthood” that I’d really prefer to not take the next year off. Also, the disappearance of the OSAP grace period has me fearful of taking a year off school
Last edited by SydneyF48162 on Feb 11th, 2019 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Feb 7, 2018
43 posts
20 upvotes
Hey SydneyF48162, I didn't end up going to Cambrian cuz i ended up getting accepted into both St.Lawrence and Michener so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say that if your grades are as high/competitive as you say they are then you probably wouldn't have to worry about being stuck with Cambrian. I had low 80's and was #60 on the waitlist at St.Lawerence last year and I still got in by July. With that being said, thanks to Ford I probably wouldn't suggest you to take a year off. Also, the MMI at Michener wasn't too bad, it was actually quite fun. I watched some youtube videos, and bought a book on Amazon that had tons of scenarios/examples. Anyways, if you have any questions about Michener, I can try to answer them. Best of luck to you!
Mar 1, 2019
3 posts
OhlookyyitsCourtney wrote: Hey SydneyF48162, I didn't end up going to Cambrian cuz i ended up getting accepted into both St.Lawrence and Michener so I can't help you there. I just wanted to say that if your grades are as high/competitive as you say they are then you probably wouldn't have to worry about being stuck with Cambrian. I had low 80's and was #60 on the waitlist at St.Lawerence last year and I still got in by July. With that being said, thanks to Ford I probably wouldn't suggest you to take a year off. Also, the MMI at Michener wasn't too bad, it was actually quite fun. I watched some youtube videos, and bought a book on Amazon that had tons of scenarios/examples. Anyways, if you have any questions about Michener, I can try to answer them. Best of luck to you!
what grades did you have to get into michener?
[OP]
Feb 7, 2018
43 posts
20 upvotes
ClarissaJ90014 wrote: have you graduated yet?
No, just finishing up my first year here at Michener. The overall workload is definitely a bit more overwhelming than uni, just because there are either lab assessments/ midterms/ quizzes every week as opposed to the typical 50% midterm/ 50% final that I was used to in uni. However, everything is still manageable.