• May 4th, 2021 10:29 pm
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto

Advice Needed : Dealer unable to fix an issue

HI Guys,

I recently bought a new CPO Audi Q5 which is under warranty. I found an issue with the trunk opening mechanism which I reported to the Audi service center.
After 3 services and more than 20 days of the car being with them, they are unable to fix the issue.

This issue is more of a minor inconvenience rather than an 'issue' - but then again - its not working perfectly. The service rep called today to explain that he has done everything under the sun but still not able to figure out whats the issue (also citing that its working as expected).

I am conflicted about what to do in this situation. What are my options in this?

Any help/advice will be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Edit 1: The issue - in all Audis that I have seen (including the same make/year/model) the trunk opens by double clicking the “trunk open” button on the key fob. When I do that, my car indicator lights up and makes a sound(which sounds like it tried to open but couldn’t) but doesn’t open.

It’s only when I double press and hold the trunk button that the trunk opens up. I have to press and hold.
Last edited by krishnasty on May 4th, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30049 posts
16061 upvotes
Toronto
Try another dealer. It’s cpo. Any dealer should be able to help you
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1842 posts
1804 upvotes
Toronto
What’s the issue specifically?
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2423 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
Since the "issue" seems to be a top secret audi thing that can not be disclosed to non owners?... Pretty hard for people to help fix it.

Maybe try an audi specific forum... Despite what a dealer says you not likely the only one with this mysterious issue that dare not be disclosed.

What you really need is some cheap clever DYIer whose vehicle is out of warranty with the same "issue" and they out of love for the brand and necessity fixed it themselves. Usually every forum that is decent has one or two such souls who are all to happy to help.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3855 posts
2602 upvotes
Edmonton
krishnasty wrote: HI Guys,

I recently bought a new CPO Audi Q5 which is under warranty. I found an issue with the trunk opening mechanism which I reported to the Audi service center.
After 3 services and more than 20 days of the car being with them, they are unable to fix the issue.

This issue is more of a minor inconvenience rather than an 'issue' - but then again - its not working perfectly. The service rep called today to explain that he has done everything under the sun but still not able to figure out whats the issue (also citing that its working as expected).

I am conflicted about what to do in this situation. What are my options in this?

Any help/advice will be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Why don’t you explain the exact nature of the issue?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
What's the issue? Our Q5 had an annoying squeak when closing the trunk. Please just ended. Bought it out and resold for $6k profit.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Just added the actual issue on the original post (under Edit 1) Like I said- it’s not an issue but a minor inconvenience. But since it’s under warranty, I thought it would be better to get it fixed.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario

My guess is that you cannot modify the remote to do any other functions other than what it's set at the factory. I say live with it or contact these guys to send you some parts and you reprogram it. Check out some enthusiast websites if you want to learn.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7094 posts
5948 upvotes
Get someone that knows VCDS and check the code and see if they can alter it to your liking.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/25402/

Sometime dealership is going by the book may not know every setting to be tinkered in there. I am sure there will be some VAG experts in the GTA area that can do this either for free or for an hour of tech time.

When I had my S4 a decade or so ago, I tinker plenty with VCDS to get a lot of hidden options that's disabled by default from factory (TPMS was one of those).
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Xtrema wrote: Get someone that knows VCDS and check the code and see if they can alter it to your liking.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/25402/

Sometime dealership is going by the book may not know every setting to be tinkered in there. I am sure there will be some VAG experts in the GTA area that can do this either for free or for an hour of tech time.

When I had my S4 a decade or so ago, I tinker plenty with VCDS to get a lot of hidden options that's disabled by default from factory (TPMS was one of those).
Thanks. Won’t changing or messing with the coding void my warranty ?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7094 posts
5948 upvotes
krishnasty wrote: Thanks. Won’t changing or messing with the coding void my warranty ?

Thanks
Write down what it were. If you think there is a problem related to your hatch, reset it before bring it to dealer.

Most of the time, they don't care. And a lot of behavior to major component are locked out anyway. And if dealer has to flash your ECU due to a recall, a lot of these setting you changed will be reset to factory default.

But check with a VW/Audi forum to be sure (Audiworld and Audizine are the 2 biggest ones), there should be plenty of resources and what people tinker with. A Ross-tech cable is $200 US for 3 VINs if you are comfortable with tinkering yourself.
Last edited by Xtrema on May 4th, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4601 posts
504 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
What kind of dealership can't fix a locking rear tail gate actuator.Did you try all the FOBS ?.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7094 posts
5948 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: What kind of dealership can't fix a locking rear tail gate actuator.Did you try all the FOBS ?.
I think OP said it opens but he prefer double click vs press and hold. That's why I think it's coding.

While my link shows a 2012Q5, OP's CPO Q5 should be newer so codes may be different than that.

You will be surprised that enthusiasts sometimes knows more about the products than dealers.
Last edited by Xtrema on May 4th, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4042 posts
1388 upvotes
BC
engineered wrote: What's the issue? Our Q5 had an annoying squeak when closing the trunk. Please just ended. Bought it out and resold for $6k profit.
There was no profit. You bought the car and sold it for less...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
What does your owner's manual say about opening the trunk with the fob? You only think yours can do that because you seen other Audis do that. I would look it up myself but you didn't tell us the year of your CPO Q5.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote: What does your owner's manual say about opening the trunk with the fob? You only think yours can do that because you seen other Audis do that. I would look it up myself but you didn't tell us the year of your CPO Q5.
Yes - I checked my owners manual. Mine is a 2019 Audi Q5 Technik. It’s on page 36 of owners manual.
[OP]
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Xtrema wrote: I think OP said it opens but he prefer double click vs press and hold. That's why I think it's coding.

While my link shows a 2012Q5, OP's CPO Q5 should be newer so codes may be different than that.

You will be surprised that enthusiasts sometimes knows more about the products than dealers.
No- it’s not about what I like. I want it to open like all regular audis do (which is just double click, and not double click and hold)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
krishnasty wrote: Just added the actual issue on the original post (under Edit 1) Like I said- it’s not an issue but a minor inconvenience. But since it’s under warranty, I thought it would be better to get it fixed.
Edit 1: The issue - in all Audis that I have seen (including the same make/year/model) the trunk opens by double clicking the “trunk open” button on the key fob. When I do that, my car indicator lights up and makes a sound(which sounds like it tried to open but couldn’t) but doesn’t open.

It’s only when I double press and hold the trunk button that the trunk opens up. I have to press and hold.
On our 2017 Q5, we always had to hold the trunk button to open it. On our Pacifica, we hit the trunk button 2x to open. On my BMW, I hit the trunk button once to open it.
iownyou wrote: There was no profit. You bought the car and sold it for less...
No, we bought out the lease and sold it for more. Used car prices have risen much higher. If you're saying we already paid for it with the lease payments, then yes. The profit was in comparison to simply returning the lease.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.