Shopping Discussion

Advice needed: Defective eyeglass frames

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2019 11:27 am
Dec 14, 2012
124 posts
15 upvotes

Advice needed: Defective eyeglass frames

A month more than a month ago I purchased a pair of eyeglasses from a Chinese optical store in Markham. Upon inspection, I noticed they were defective. I brought them to the store and they offered to send them to the manufacture on the other side of the world to have them repaired. I have not heard from them since. I do plan to call but what rights do I have? I even asked if I could have a different pair all together but they said they were trying to get the warranty for me. The whole thing is ridiculous. Any advice is appreciated. I am not someone who is aggressive so it would be uncomfortable for me to confront them. I don't want to look stupid either. Thanks!
11 replies
Dec 16, 2017
292 posts
859 upvotes
ottawa
depends how much you paid. I just got jerked around by Clearly.ca ... bridge on my glasses broke in half for literally no reason. Sent them back and they said it was due to "wear and tear" and they weren't covered. So much today is basically buyer beware. A lot of businesses don't honor their warranty without weeks of haggling over the phone and they do everything to pin the blame on the consumer.

If you paid a lot, then keep checking in with the business regarding the warranty. If not, then the hassle probably isn't worth it. Buy another pair and if they eventually do give you new glasses you'll have two pairs.

I know clearly has lost my business; that's really the only power you have, to never buy from them again.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2321 posts
393 upvotes
North York
I think you need to give them few weeks to have it resolved - but it cannot be a month. This is a very simple device that either can or cannot be fixed ... we are not talking about cameras / computers / machinery here.

If they give you the run around, I'll just have the credit card chargeback and deal with the CC that way.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18021 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Superstore Optical has a 2 year warranty on glasses and I never had issues with them. I have issues with some Chinese stores in Pacific Mall (Good Eyes and Advance Optical) and experienced things like:

- Incorrect prescription
- Giving me a demo bent frame even though they said that they will order a new one

I am also Indian and find that my Asian friends get far better service or don't complain as there seems to be an unwritten code to stick with your own kind. Either way, I just stopped going there as the quality/price was not worth the potential issues. Oh, and don't go to Lens Crafters as they are overpriced for what you get.
Dec 14, 2012
124 posts
15 upvotes
Homesimpson wrote: depends how much you paid. I just got jerked around by Clearly.ca ... bridge on my glasses broke in half for literally no reason. Sent them back and they said it was due to "wear and tear" and they weren't covered. So much today is basically buyer beware. A lot of businesses don't honor their warranty without weeks of haggling over the phone and they do everything to pin the blame on the consumer.

If you paid a lot, then keep checking in with the business regarding the warranty. If not, then the hassle probably isn't worth it. Buy another pair and if they eventually do give you new glasses you'll have two pairs.

I know clearly has lost my business; that's really the only power you have, to never buy from them again.

Sorry to hear about Clearly. I thought they had good service..

Paid over $400 at the Optical. Still don't have my glasses. .two months later. The frames are eligible for warranty and waiting for the new/repaired ones to ship.

I bought glasses from Eye Buy Direct, they know how to treat customers!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
aub3rgine wrote: A month more than a month ago I purchased a pair of eyeglasses from a Chinese optical store in Markham. Upon inspection, I noticed they were defective.
How long it takes for you to notice it was defective? On spot? one day after? or a month after.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Dec 16, 2017
292 posts
859 upvotes
ottawa
clearly did have good service in the past. But like all businesses, things change. I left a negative review on the glasses I bought from them that broke. I recently was on their site and they relaunched the same glasses, removing any old reviews. It is what it is.

But thankfully with the Internet word spreads quickly and the bad actors get sorted out over time. Just that some of us get burned until that happens.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5429 posts
5285 upvotes
GTA
aub3rgine wrote: I don't want to look stupid but I purchased a pair of eyeglasses from a Chinese optical store in Markham.
This.
Dec 14, 2012
124 posts
15 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: How long it takes for you to notice it was defective? On spot? one day after? or a month after.
I noticed when I got home but was only able to bring it in a week after.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3047 posts
2146 upvotes
My glasses' (Gucci-Luxoticca) left nose piece fell off in one piece. No way I can super glue it.

I'm afraid to disappoint myself so I'm still thinking if I should bring it in. You can actually file a claim with Luxoticca directly which I'll probably do.
Dec 14, 2012
124 posts
15 upvotes
Homesimpson wrote: clearly did have good service in the past. But like all businesses, things change. I left a negative review on the glasses I bought from them that broke. I recently was on their site and they relaunched the same glasses, removing any old reviews. It is what it is.

But thankfully with the Internet word spreads quickly and the bad actors get sorted out over time. Just that some of us get burned until that happens.
Biscayne05 wrote: My glasses' (Gucci-Luxoticca) left nose piece fell off in one piece. No way I can super glue it.

I'm afraid to disappoint myself so I'm still thinking if I should bring it in. You can actually file a claim with Luxoticca directly which I'll probably do.
I would try but maybe you might be without glasses for months like me. Thanks, I'll look into filing a claim. But need to file a complaint though.