• Dec 18th, 2020 9:04 pm
[OP]
May 6, 2008
265 posts
69 upvotes
Edmonton

Advice needed: Microsoft laptop return

Hello,
Has anyone ever returned a laptop to Microsoft? Mine has issues turning on. When I contacted the online chat I was told by the rep in Nicaragua that I could ship it to them and they would later send a replacement. When I balked at this, he said the other option was for them to put a charge on my credit card (which was more than what I paid) and they would ship a new one to me and remove the charge when the old one was returned. Of course, I realize they can’t trust people to do the right thing, but I’ll also leery. Is this standard procedure or might I be out a laptop?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
I'm confused. MS wants you to send a laptop to Nicaragua? How do you know the rep is from Nicaragua?

I believe companies tend to put a hold for a set amount on your card and not actually charge your card. I always assume putting a hold for $800 on your card will ask your CC company if you are good for this $800. Then the CC company will say this $800 is for MS if they need it. Nobody can use this $800 under the hold is removed. With this hold you won't actually see an $800 charge. That was always how I understood how this works.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13850 posts
5420 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That's standard practice.. I think it's called "Advanced Replacement" option. Apple does this as well with any replacement parts. One of my airpods had muffled sounds so I asked for a replacement and they sent the replacement with a hold on my credit card for a "no-return fee". When the replacement arrives, I do a swap then send it back in the same packaging with the provided shipping label and once they get it back, then will release the hold on the credit card.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2742 posts
1509 upvotes
Mississauga
Yup. I don't see anything wrong with this. Don't they have an option of return to a nearest store?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3308 posts
2880 upvotes
Toronto
IndyBeak wrote: Yup. I don't see anything wrong with this. Don't they have an option of return to a nearest store?
All Microsoft Stores have closed

Microsoft to permanently close all 83 physical stores worldwide

Microsoft Store announces new approach to retail
Microsoft to continue to support customers online, with retail team members working remotely and at Microsoft corporate locations
https://news.microsoft.com/2020/06/26/m ... to-retail/
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2742 posts
1509 upvotes
Mississauga
Dhanushan wrote: All Microsoft Stores have closed

Microsoft to permanently close all 83 physical stores worldwide

Microsoft Store announces new approach to retail
Microsoft to continue to support customers online, with retail team members working remotely and at Microsoft corporate locations
https://news.microsoft.com/2020/06/26/m ... to-retail/
Oh wow. I was totally out of loop on this. Return to store is not really an option then. But I guess return and then refund is pretty much the standard practice. A few times that I have used it, even Amazon refunded me only when after I posted my returns.