Home & Garden

Advice needed for new homeowner/ warranty

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 11:08 am
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 27, 2018
10 posts
ONTARIO

Advice needed for new homeowner/ warranty

Hello. We are new homeowners and bought a brand new resale home in January this year. However, when we got the keys, we noticed that there are several defects in the house such as cracked tiles, baseboard detaching from wall, nail pops on ceiling etc. These were not there went we viewed the house.
The house is under warranty with Tarion. The original date of possession was Nov 6 2017 (for previous owner). We contacted Tarion and was informed that the previous owner did not submit the 30 Day Form (which was due Dec 06). We are a bit confused as to what we should do now? Should we wait for the 1 year warranty form (which will be in Nov 2018) to ask for repairs? or can we contact the builder now?

Thank you.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
474 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Make a running list and keep track of it.
Submit it 1 day before the 1 year anniversary of the original closing date. Check with Tarion as to when that exactly is.
You can tell the builder ahead of time to see if they will do anything.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 10, 2011
2053 posts
555 upvotes
Woodbridge
Why don't you talk to the builder. Some of this stuff could be just the foundations settling and are usually best repaired at the 1 year mark.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2570 posts
142 upvotes
contact the builder to explain the situation and see if they will fulfill the repairs according to the 30 day repair terms.
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 27, 2018
10 posts
ONTARIO
We are already past the 30 days and the previous owner did not complete the 30 day form :(
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 27, 2018
10 posts
ONTARIO
BuildingHomes wrote: Make a running list and keep track of it.
Submit it 1 day before the 1 year anniversary of the original closing date. Check with Tarion as to when that exactly is.
You can tell the builder ahead of time to see if they will do anything.
Thanks. Yes, we will be submitting at the 1 year mark which will be November 2018. But afraid that after 1 year has passed, the builder will just say the defects are due to poor house maintenance. The defects have been here since the day we got the keys from the previous owner in Jan 2018.
Member
User avatar
Nov 14, 2013
498 posts
160 upvotes
Brampton, Ontario
Diamond04 wrote: We are already past the 30 days and the previous owner did not complete the 30 day form :(
Save these and future items for your 1 year warranty for Tarion. Make sure the builder has your contact information and not the seller's as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
474 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Diamond04 wrote: Thanks. Yes, we will be submitting at the 1 year mark which will be November 2018. But afraid that after 1 year has passed, the builder will just say the defects are due to poor house maintenance. The defects have been here since the day we got the keys from the previous owner in Jan 2018.
A house does require maintenance.. so make sure you at least do that.
Material shrinkage such as nail pops are not warrantable items, but many builders will refasten, mud/sand those areas. They do not usually repaint.
Cracked tiles hard to say what the issue may be there.
I might suggest getting a home inspector in to go through everything during the last month to create a detailed list and submit that.
Again, you can submit anything to a builder directly whenever you want.. but that doesn't mean they are going to act upon it right away.
Tarion is picky about when things are submitted. You will need to be very specific with the dates.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 27, 2018
10 posts
ONTARIO
Dsidhu wrote: Save these and future items for your 1 year warranty for Tarion. Make sure the builder has your contact information and not the seller's as well.
Oh, thats something i did not think about, i always thought the builder will have the updated contact information of new owner :( Looks like i need to call them and let them know that we are the owners.
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 27, 2018
10 posts
ONTARIO
Thanks for all the responses. I reached out to the builder to make sure they have our contact details and also got the timelines and deadline dates from Tarion.

Top