• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 11:35 pm
Sep 10, 2006
167 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto

Advice needed: Sealer / protector for PT woods

Dear RFDers,

Our PT wood deck was built by the builder 3 years ago, and it is having some splits and wear and tear (pictures attached).
At this point, does it still worthy to put sealer on it? If yes which one should I get?
Or is it better just to let it break and replace the whole deck down the road?
Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Images
  • IMG_3824.jpg
  • IMG_3825.jpg
4 replies
Jul 19, 2015
67 posts
69 upvotes
Victoria, BC
The splits are no big threat to longevity but will reduce it a bit. I'd plan on staining it, but would also consider replacing the horizontal railing pieces with (clear if you can get it and not too spendy) cedar for a nicer look. Cedar stains just fine too, and is a bit friendlier to contact. That said, some people but not too many have an allergic reaction to cedar.
Sep 10, 2006
167 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks a lot!
Someone told me that stain just adds colour to the wood but does not provide any protection... is that true?
will it help if I just put some sealer on top of it (like the thompson's waterseal)?
Thanks again!
kazsulec wrote: The splits are no big threat to longevity but will reduce it a bit. I'd plan on staining it, but would also consider replacing the horizontal railing pieces with (clear if you can get it and not too spendy) cedar for a nicer look. Cedar stains just fine too, and is a bit friendlier to contact. That said, some people but not too many have an allergic reaction to cedar.
Jul 19, 2015
67 posts
69 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Easy to read about. https://www.deckmaster-us.com/stain-sea ... ifference/

No matter your choice for a finish, exterior wood needs maintenance once you start. Despite what that link says, applying stain is a trivial dyi project. Sure, requires prep work, protection of things not to be stained, and nice weather. But no deep thinking or big planning. Just note what you apply so 3 years later you can find it again when it needs a touch up. I'd probably lean to a more transparent finish. A solid stain is akin to solid paint, and will flake more than the penetrating stains that leave little on the surface.
Sep 10, 2006
167 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks!
kazsulec wrote: Easy to read about. https://www.deckmaster-us.com/stain-sea ... ifference/

No matter your choice for a finish, exterior wood needs maintenance once you start. Despite what that link says, applying stain is a trivial dyi project. Sure, requires prep work, protection of things not to be stained, and nice weather. But no deep thinking or big planning. Just note what you apply so 3 years later you can find it again when it needs a touch up. I'd probably lean to a more transparent finish. A solid stain is akin to solid paint, and will flake more than the penetrating stains that leave little on the surface.