Automotive

Advice needed: What's leaking in this photo?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2018 1:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2227 posts
247 upvotes
Calgary

Advice needed: What's leaking in this photo?

Hi there, switched over to all season tires today, and noticed the oil stain on the "boots" when taking off front wheels (both of them), can anyone point to me what is this? How serious is this and how much I'll be looking at,
This is a 2009 Hyundai Sonata.
Thanks a lot.
Images
  • Inked20180428_144119_LI.jpg
  • 20180428_144112.jpg
Last edited by renhui on Apr 29th, 2018 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5844 posts
2094 upvotes
Space
I don’t know if I’m blind but I don’t see anything
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11927 posts
2906 upvotes
Durham Region
Solsearchin1 wrote: I don’t know if I’m blind but I don’t see anything
Not sure myself either

If anything all I see is a bunch of surface rust.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37050 posts
23022 upvotes
Center of Universe
Hyundai?
Looks like a Mazda to me.lol
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
vkizzle wrote: Hyundai?
Looks like a Mazda to me.lol

Sorry, OP. No idea myself. I'm going to the dealers tomorrow to have some of my own car troubles looked at.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13305 posts
2526 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe you stepped on oil? Take a pic of your boots
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1157 posts
1508 upvotes
Calgary
Looks like the boots from your power steering rack is seeping, check for cracks and check the level of your power steering fluid reservoir.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22720 posts
4338 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Looked at picture, didn't see anything, checked comments. Guess I'll wait for OP to highlight the 'leak'
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31690 posts
13027 upvotes
Solsearchin1 wrote: I don’t know if I’m blind but I don’t see anything
After reading various threads on RFD about "concerned findings" of n00b people changing their wheels over, I get the feeling that some of these people should not be doing this lol. Not meaning anything mean but from people seeing rust and brake dust to "seeing"...seemingly nothing at all?...it seems like these [first-timer?] wheel changers are just going to worry themselves to death thinking the sky is falling upon seeing what is otherwise normal. Either that or them "saving money" by changing their wheels themselves leads them to take their car to a scummy shop/mechanic/stealership which then proceeds to sell them on hundreds of dollars of unnecessary repairs/maintenance and them happily handing it over after getting the scare that "something must be wrong!" because they have no idea what they're doing.

I'm thinking he might mean the bottom of the steering gear boot on the right, but there's no way to tell (from the picture) if that's actually a leak or just roadspray making the bottom of the boot appear more "wet" than the top.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
17998 posts
17044 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Looks like headlight fluid.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14731 posts
10880 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Blinker fluid is more like the symptom here.
EP32k2 wrote: Looks like headlight fluid.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22720 posts
4338 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ES_Revenge wrote: After reading various threads on RFD about "concerned findings" of n00b people changing their wheels over, I get the feeling that some of these people should not be doing this lol. Not meaning anything mean but from people seeing rust and brake dust to "seeing"...seemingly nothing at all?...it seems like these [first-timer?] wheel changers are just going to worry themselves to death thinking the sky is falling upon seeing what is otherwise normal. Either that or them "saving money" by changing their wheels themselves leads them to take their car to a scummy shop/mechanic/stealership which then proceeds to sell them on hundreds of dollars of unnecessary repairs/maintenance and them happily handing it over after getting the scare that "something must be wrong!" because they have no idea what they're doing.

I'm thinking he might mean the bottom of the steering gear boot on the right, but there's no way to tell (from the picture) if that's actually a leak or just roadspray making the bottom of the boot appear more "wet" than the top.
My mechanic swaps my tires for $20. No way I'm waiting y own time to Dave $20 twice a year. Not even worth my energy to make an appointment at the tire shop. Just get them swapped with my oil change.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2227 posts
247 upvotes
Calgary
Sorry for the confusion , guys.
Added another photo which should show the oil stain better.
Any advice is appreciated.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14731 posts
10880 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37050 posts
23022 upvotes
Center of Universe
renhui wrote: Sorry for the confusion , guys.
Added another photo which should show the oil stain better.
Any advice is appreciated.
I made an appointment with my optometrist tomorrow, because I don't see shit and now I'm worried.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1950 posts
727 upvotes
Kitchener
Took me a while but I think the OP is referencing that the lower half of the boots are discoloured with what looks like oil but it doesn't seem recent to me.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22720 posts
4338 upvotes
Niagara Falls
OP, I think you're going to have to edit that photo and actually outline what you're talking about.
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
335 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I made an appointment with my optometrist tomorrow, because I don't see shit and now I'm worried.
x2 I dont see anything
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
2227 posts
247 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks for whoever replying to this post, especially Cheapo-Findo, from what I gathered online, it's indeed related to power steering.
Anyway I've circled the "oil stain" area and updated the post.