• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 1:41 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2010
274 posts
96 upvotes

Advice? New Car breaks cause shaking

So here's the story:
1. Just leased a new 2020 sonata, came with 150km on the odometer (lease contract state 15km, but was so tired of arguing during the delivery for 2 hours, didn't want to argue more once i realized, and figured that the 120km is really small increase and i got a good price).
2. I noticed the breaks when not pressed down all the way would some sometimes cause shaking (especially when going down hill), a friend of mine who is a car buff said it will likely just go away after a couple days of driving the car.
3. Fast forward 1 week at 380km on the odometer it hasn't stopped, so now I'm calling the dealer to see if they will fix it (breaks aren't under warranty so I'm guessing I'm screwed).

Has anyone experienced something similar and have tips on how to deal with the dealership?

PS: I live in Quebec (I'm hoping the consumer protection laws will help out)

Thanks!

UPDATE: Hyundai's customer satisfaction team was able to help me resolve the issue, I recommend if you encounter anything similar to give em a call the number (As of July 2020) is 1-888-216-2626
Last edited by R5R on Jul 23rd, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
51 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
the brakes did not have enough wear & tear and should really be fixed by the dealer without charge, IMO.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16635 posts
5197 upvotes
Toronto
it could be that the brakes are not set correctly or they could be warped rotors due to a manufacturing defect. I would get it looked at by the dealer and make sure you get paperwork. If they say it is normal, ask to test drive another vehicle to see if that has a problem. If not, insist on getting this fixed. 400 km on a new car should not have this problem.

I know with Toyota, they have a 1 year/20K warranty for brakes on new cars.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2010
274 posts
96 upvotes
booblehead wrote: the brakes did not have enough wear & tear and should really be fixed by the dealer without charge, IMO.
Thanks my hope, but they already haven't called me back after the 1st call and promising they would call back.

This being my 1st car, I now know why people hate dealing with dealerships so much haha, they really try hard to ruin the experience of getting a new car..
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
take it back to the dealer service dept. don't bother to wait for a call back. Like @hightech said, go on a test drive with the Service Advisor or Service Mgr to show the exact issue you have.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6701 posts
4269 upvotes
Toronto
Not uncommon for vehicles to sit in yard for 6 to 12+ months not doing much. Parts like brakes do get rusted on surface and they do need to do bedding process that PDI tech should have recognize and do.

Bring it back or brake hard few times to clear the rust if that's the case
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22578 upvotes
GTA
peteryorkuca wrote: Not uncommon for vehicles to sit in yard for 6 to 12+ months not doing much. Parts like brakes do get rusted on surface and they do need to do bedding process that PDI tech should have recognize and do.

Bring it back or brake hard few times to clear the rust if that's the case
+1.
OP, you can try to fix it yourself by bedding in the brakes if it's not too bad. That means finding an empty space where you can get to 100kph and brake very hard down to 10kph. Do that 10-20 times, then cruise around without stopping to let the brakes cool.
If that doesn't work, go to the dealer and demand they replace the rotors and pads since they were left to rust. It will only cost them under $150 in hardware.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4003 posts
3199 upvotes
Ottawa
Bring it back to the dealer ASAP - it's still considered a new car, no where enough to consider wear and tear. Probably has rust build-up on the rotors from sitting in the lot for a while and braking from driving unable to clean up. Could also be something wrong with the brake system so they need to check it out.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2010
274 posts
96 upvotes
Thanks everyone gonna drive to the dealer now and try to get em to look at rather than waiting for a call back or trying to fix em myself. Wish me luck!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
you don't need luck. You need the dealer mechanic to fix your problem. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Jan 13, 2010
274 posts
96 upvotes
booblehead wrote: you don't need luck. You need the dealer mechanic to fix your problem. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
True, but I feel getting them to
A) look at the problem and B) admit it and fix it for free
Is gonna be a battle
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1554 posts
812 upvotes
R5R wrote: True, but I feel getting them to
A) look at the problem and B) admit it and fix it for free
Is gonna be a battle
A) if they dont look at it ASAP, make an appointment. Its not the end of the world
B) Brakes are covered by warranty. General wear/tear is not. You cant claim the brake pads wore out too quickly, but you can claim brake parts that have an issue

Also give an earful to your sales person who can help if service is being a pain. But dont expect the service manager to drop everything and roll out the red carpet for you.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Oct 4, 2010
847 posts
471 upvotes
Surrey
have you tried posting on the hyundai forums to ask if others have this issue? See what they have done about it. Who knows, maybe it's normal for a Sonata to be doing that.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4485 posts
2968 upvotes
It's just surface rust from sitting 4 to 5 months out on the lot.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2010
274 posts
96 upvotes
matrixfwd wrote: have you tried posting on the hyundai forums to ask if others have this issue? See what they have done about it. Who knows, maybe it's normal for a Sonata to be doing that.
I didn't post but i searched, no one posting about it unfortunately.
Oct 4, 2010
847 posts
471 upvotes
Surrey
Give it a try posting there, Youll get more replies for sure.
[OP]
Jan 13, 2010
274 posts
96 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: It's just surface rust from sitting 4 to 5 months out on the lot.
They don't remove that during pre delivery inspection? Or notify the new owner? I asked around and no one i know who got a new car had the same problem :/
[OP]
Jan 13, 2010
274 posts
96 upvotes
matrixfwd wrote: Give it a try posting there, Youll get more replies for sure.
Done! Waiting to see their response
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9072 posts
3075 upvotes
Toronto
R5R wrote: They don't remove that during pre delivery inspection? Or notify the new owner? I asked around and no one i know who got a new car had the same problem :/
No, they don't remove it. And, no, they probably don't even know themselves.
Oct 20, 2011
79 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
R5R wrote: Done! Waiting to see their response
You can go to any Hyundai dealer. If your dealer is like this at the beginning, you're better off with another dealer (if one is close by). Dealers don't make much from selling cars anymore, the money is in servicing. They're stupid to treat you this way, and you shouldn't have to take it from them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)