advice on a new Gaming Monitor

advice on a new Gaming Monitor...give your commits and suggestions
I would like :

27"
2560 x 1440
144 hz refresh rate
1 ms grey to grey
G-Sync
Last edited by Larsin on Jan 15th, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32 replies
Apr 12, 2016
130 posts
24 upvotes
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG $674.99 After 10%OFFMONITOR Coupon

Has everything you asked for. Remember it is a TN Panel. Not IPS

Good luck with your search
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
2167 posts
10 upvotes
Stratford, Ontario
dealzrus2 wrote: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG $674.99 After 10%OFFMONITOR Coupon

Has everything you asked for. Remember it is a TN Panel. Not IPS

Good luck with your search
was looking for something with 1 ms grey to grey..
edited my post .
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
The SD2716 is damn near 1ms g to g and also has the lowest input lag on the market for a Gsync panel AFAIK which matters more than response time IMO. I have one and it is tits, as Cartman would say.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2160 posts
1045 upvotes
Saint John
Why are you specifically looking for 1ms gtg? It's a BS "best case scenario" marketing spec that no monitor lives up to in reality.

Check out tftcentral.co.uk and read some reviews to find out monitors' actual pixel response times. Also, as Mr. Sprinkles said, it matters less than input lag... and, in my opinion, other characteristics like accurate colours, good viewing angles, and contrast ratios that you'd get in an IPS display like the Asus PG279Q or Acer XB271HU.
Apr 12, 2016
130 posts
24 upvotes
How much extra are you willing to pay for an IPS panel? There is no doubt that they have the most accurate colors especially if you are viewing from different angles but the price is alot more. Is it worth it? I'm not sure.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3211 posts
1764 upvotes
Burlington
The Asus has more QC issues than the Acer from what I've read (you would think because of the brand it would be the other way around). Not sure if they've fixed them but they suffered from pretty bad light bleeding.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
2167 posts
10 upvotes
Stratford, Ontario
Are the new IPS panel monitor .. fast enough for gaming compared to the TN panels .. We know the TN panels are getting better for color reproduction ..

Anyways going wait and see if any come on sale ..
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1694 posts
951 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I'm going to be buying the Acer Predator xb271hu at some point. After my hours of research, it seems to be your best chance in regards to backlight bleed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
2167 posts
10 upvotes
Stratford, Ontario
brobinsoncc wrote: I'm going to be buying the Acer Predator xb271hu at some point. After my hours of research, it seems to be your best chance in regards to backlight bleed.
will you be using it for gaming ? FPS games..
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
2160 posts
1045 upvotes
Saint John
Larsin wrote: Are the new IPS panel monitor .. fast enough for gaming compared to the TN panels .. We know the TN panels are getting better for color reproduction ..

Anyways going wait and see if any come on sale ..
Yes, IPS has caught up for gaming. If you look at TFT Central's most recent response time charts for gaming monitors, you'll see that the fastest TN panels average about 3ms with moderate levels of RTC overshoot (reverse ghosting), while the best IPS gaming monitors like the Asus and Acer mentioned above average 5.0 and 5.5 respectively with very low levels of RTC overshoot. In other words, the TN panels are slightly faster, but to achieve those response times they have to use a bit too much overdrive, which can result in graphic distortion that's worse than the slight ghosting/blur that it's used to compensate for.

Image Image

If you look at their input lag charts, the Asus and Acer IPS 144/165Hz models actually beat the fastest TN monitors, not to mention every other monitor on the chart.

Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1694 posts
951 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Larsin wrote: will you be using it for gaming ? FPS games..
I will be. I have a Samsung KS8000 4k TV I'm currently playing on with my recently built GTX 1080 rig but want a monitor to take advantage of my card.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3211 posts
1764 upvotes
Burlington
brobinsoncc wrote: I'm going to be buying the Acer Predator xb271hu at some point. After my hours of research, it seems to be your best chance in regards to backlight bleed.
Excellent choice. Premium pricing but probably one of the best upgrades you can do. Boggles my mind when I see people with $3000 builds but a $300 monitor.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
2167 posts
10 upvotes
Stratford, Ontario
birthdaymonkey wrote: Why are you specifically looking for 1ms gtg? It's a BS "best case scenario" marketing spec that no monitor lives up to in reality.

Check out tftcentral.co.uk and read some reviews to find out monitors' actual pixel response times. Also, as Mr. Sprinkles said, it matters less than input lag... and, in my opinion, other characteristics like accurate colours, good viewing angles, and contrast ratios that you'd get in an IPS display like the Asus PG279Q or Acer XB271HU.
they are both great choices
Jan 4, 2017
135 posts
26 upvotes
Like @redrage said.
ASUS is the best brand for 4k(including 2k of cause), and 144Hz refresh rate monitor.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11920 posts
2433 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote: Excellent choice. Premium pricing but probably one of the best upgrades you can do. Boggles my mind when I see people with $3000 builds but a $300 monitor.
My setup is currently a $3K PC with a $200 monitor.

I got a 27" 4K LG IPS monitor (basically as good as the ASUS without G-sync), but haven't set that up yet as I'm in the process of redesigning my den.