• Jul 1st, 2019 8:43 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 5, 2009
722 posts
78 upvotes

Advice on next used mac.

Hi there,

Reaching out for advice. Wife's 2011 27inch imac (bought apple refurb 2012) finally died (famous video card issue) and she's in need of another computer. Does graphic design as a side job (heavy Photoshop, illustrator work). For web surfing she uses her ipad. She is looking for: Portability, affordability (used O.k). For graphics work, she prefers big screens. We were thinking a small laptop (must be apple) and buying a new large screen. Looking for ideas on which mac laptop to buy that is as problem free as possible and as affordable as possible.

Thank you for input.
Last edited by redflag5050 on Jun 30th, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3094 posts
606 upvotes
EWW MAC!!!

If you must watch this
Aug 19, 2018
922 posts
909 upvotes
If it must be apple, I would just go to a Apple store and try them out. Not much input can really be given without you testing it out first. Since you already decided on Apple this is the best way to go forward.

If you can be convinced otherwise, Apple laptop has gotten very, very bad in the last few years. You should seriously reconsider if Apple really is mandatory as all the software you mentioned works equally well on PC. The only area APPLE still has advantage is sound engineering and video editing.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4679 posts
3839 upvotes
For around the price of a new MacBook Pro, you could get both a highly capable desktop AND a laptop like the Dell XPS
May 8, 2007
900 posts
236 upvotes
Fraser Valley, BC
OP you should change thread title to “Advice on new Mac” instead of “Advice on new computer”. Majority of RFDers who respond have Windows computers and Android phones/tablets and have tight grasp on wallet and do not own Apple products, so will be unable to provide good advice.

Or ask on a site like macrumors.com or appleinsider.com instead.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
3194 posts
1551 upvotes
Everywhere
I wouldn't buy anything but a 2012 non-retina macbook pro. I actually have two of these, a 13" i7 2.9 dual core and a 15" i7 2.3 quad core.

I like these because the RAM, SSD/HD and battery are user replaceable. The optical drive can also be removed for a second SSD/HD.

I had a 2012 15" Macbook Pro retina model but I sold it because I couldn't expand the storage (750GB SSD) easily. I have two 1TB SSDs in my 15" MBP.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4679 posts
3839 upvotes
adams7 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2019 12:23 pm
OP you should change thread title to “Advice on new Mac” instead of “Advice on new computer”. Majority of RFDers who respond have Windows computers and Android phones/tablets and have tight grasp on wallet and do not own Apple products, so will be unable to provide good advice.

Or ask on a site like macrumors.com or appleinsider.com instead.
I think most RFDers have owned both Apple and Android products. It's just that there's fewer reasons to recommend a recent Macbook then ever before.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11491 posts
1314 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Advice from a dude who does circuit board repairs on Macbooks:

Best part starts at 20:30.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16693 posts
3666 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I’d recommend another 27” iMac with 5K screen plus iPad/iPad Pro. Used market is expensive so another option is the 3.5 GHz quad-core 2017 model on the Apple refurb store. Make sure you get an SSD. Additional storage can be added via an external USB-C drive.

However, if it must be a laptop then a quad-core MacBook Pro.