None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3535 posts
120 upvotes
Halton

Advice- opening companyin Ontario but name is used in Manitoba

I am planning to open a construction company in the next few months. The wife and I have had the name in our heads for some time but after googling the name last night it looks to be in use by a small one man construction company. I am from Ontario and this person is in Manitoba. This fellow only has a Facebook page and no actual website or anything else.

I plan to incorporate this company and it seems this fellow is already incorporated aswell judging by "INC" at the end. If possible I might check to see if his company is actually registered under the full name.

My question is would I run into any troubles down the road if I use this name? I googled it and it seems it gets iffy if the company is in the same line of work.

I figure someone on here may know a thing or two on how to proceed or if I should just forget the name and find something else. Or add an 'S' to the end of the name ha!

I figure I would ask on here before my lawyer on how to proceed.
Enjoy Life
2 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
Mattones wrote: I googled it and it seems it gets iffy if the company is in the same line of work.
good that you did a search before naming
can you modify your company name to make it unique and then pay for a company name search before incorporating?
example
if the manitoba guy names his construction company
men at work
can you name your company
men @ work

(by the way, both those names belong to me :razz: )
May 29, 2012
604 posts
247 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If he is just provincially registered you still might be able to have the same name but not 100% sure
You could change it a little though
If he used inc. you could use
Ltd
Incorporated
Limited
At the end of your company name