Cell Phones

Advice pls-how best to park a new carrier's assigned default number for later use

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 2:54 pm
Nov 28, 2017
15 posts
5 upvotes
british columbia

Advice pls-how best to park a new carrier's assigned default number for later use

I am planning to port and keep my existing number with a new carrier and a new plan. Do you have any advice about the most efficient/inexpensive way to keep and park the default number provided by a new carrier?
It's a good number that I would like to hold/park for another family member to use in about 11 months or so from now- might be used sooner. Or is it best to forget about this idea and just port in my existing number and forget about the originally assigned number that I like from the new carrier? Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Can you still get the new plan?
I would port your existing number to that new plan on yet another new account and port the other number to prepaid or VOIP to park it for a year.
Could also talk to the company if they will do a number swap if you have two accounts with them - open a new account month to month or prepaid to port in your existing number and then ask to swap.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Porting that number out of the account will close the account. On a *very* ymmv basis, you might be able to get a carrier to put the new number on a different account, and port your current number in, and then port the new number out to wherever you decide to park it... But it's so rare that I've only ever heard of a small handful of people actually getting it done.
Nov 28, 2017
15 posts
5 upvotes
british columbia
thank you for these thoughts so far. I have no experience in doing this and appreciate the help to navigate the possibilities of parking a phone number for later use. Any particular inexpensive suggestions for parking a phone number are appreciated.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
If you can work around the the issue of porting it out and porting your existing number in without losing the number/plan, I believe the cheapest option is to port the number you want to park over to Fongo - $25 one time fee, and that's it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)