• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2021 7:57 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1438 posts
2071 upvotes

Advice on re painting kitchen cupboards or re facing doors

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on repainting kitchen cupboards. The current cupboards are laminate and I don't like the color. There are companies that will take the doors and drawers and paint them and then paint the boxes, some also use a spray technique to paint. Wondering if anyone has had any luck with this or if the paint just chips off etc. The quote I got to do this is $3000 for painting the cupboards or $4200 for spraying it with some lacquer type paint. The other option I was thinking is re facing the doors - the cabinets themselves are in good shape. I have heard Ikea has cabinetry for good prices and wondered about just having new doors installed.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20833 posts
19086 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
atom2020 wrote: I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on repainting kitchen cupboards. The current cupboards are laminate and I don't like the color. There are companies that will take the doors and drawers and paint them and then paint the boxes, some also use a spray technique to paint. Wondering if anyone has had any luck with this or if the paint just chips off etc. The quote I got to do this is $3000 for painting the cupboards or $4200 for spraying it with some lacquer type paint. The other option I was thinking is re facing the doors - the cabinets themselves are in good shape. I have heard Ikea has cabinetry for good prices and wondered about just having new doors installed.
Lots of past threads on the pros & cons
And how to successes & failures by fellow RFDers

RFD SEARCH TIPS ... go to the top of the forum directory
Look for the SEARCH THIS FORUM Box and insert your keyword
To drill down further, take SEARCH RESULTS and type in another keyword etc etc
Or go to GOOGLE ... and string your words together
(Example ... RedFlagDeals Kitchen Cabinet Painting ... or ... RedFlagDeals Kitchen Cabinet Doors )
Penalty Box
Aug 21, 2010
1359 posts
653 upvotes
toronto
yes we used a company a few a couple of years ago
at first we tried diy gel stains which you can buy on amazon,,but did not turn out that good
so we hired a company that specializes ,,for 30 kitchen doors was around 3000...because they did our kitchen, we also asked them to paint living room,,$100
and it has not pealed so far..so it turned out good
No advertising in avatars or sigs
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1438 posts
2071 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Lots of past threads on the pros & cons
And how to successes & failures by fellow RFDers

RFD SEARCH TIPS ... go to the top of the forum directory
Look for the SEARCH THIS FORUM Box and insert your keyword
To drill down further, take SEARCH RESULTS and type in another keyword etc etc
Or go to GOOGLE ... and string your words together
(Example ... RedFlagDeals Kitchen Cabinet Painting ... or ... RedFlagDeals Kitchen Cabinet Doors )
Thank you so much I am going to search
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9553 posts
2171 upvotes
Somewhere
I did this. Painted the wood cabinets white. Used Benjamore Moore Advanced.

Process:

1) Remove all cabinet doors.
2) Remobe all hardware (pulls).
3) Used TSP to wipe down each one thoroughly. Wait to dry completely.
4) Sand using power sander and sandpaper. Rough grit first, then fine grit.
5) 2 coats of primer through spray painter (something like this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/graco- ... 1001110729)
6) 2 coats of Benjamin Moore through spray painter
7) Re-install the cabinet pulls.

Do the spray painting outdoors, in the Spring.

My standard 10x10 kitchen took me approximately 2 weeks of evenings and weekends only.

It's been 4 years, no chipping, no discolouration, no issues. Still looks great. Just remember not to skip any steps.

Spray painting will give you a more even, matte look. Brush painting will be less even (unless you're a master painter) and will look more glossy. We saved a bit of time by brush painting the backs of the cabinet doors, and only spray painted the front.

Feel free to ask me anything.
:confused:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)