• Jul 30th, 2020 7:15 pm
[OP]
Mar 24, 2015
30 posts
36 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

Advice Request - Seeking to Transition Out of People Focused Work

Good Morning,
I currently work as a supervisor with a non-profit which supports individuals with disabilities. My contract is due to expire at the end of August.
Although I have had some success making my way up the ladder in non-profit, I do not enjoy the people focused work which I do.
I would be a lot happier if I could work in an individual capacity. I was driving the other day and looked out at a Canada Post Mail Carrier. I found myself so envious. That is a job that I would love because you do not need to be "on" socially for the entire work day.
I have my BA, B.Ed and have worked in non-profit for the last 6 years, just over 3 years with my company serving individuals with disabilities.
Could I please request any advice on how to transition, and what to transition to - where my work background would be transferrable?
Honestly, some days I wish I could sit in a box and work - but I have a family and bills are never-ending so I cannot go back to school for something like coding etc.
I would really appreciate any help I could get. Thank you!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
This type of thread seems to come around now and then. That is, posters in this forum looking for the highest salary possible in a back office role so they don't have to deal with people.

You haven't really brought up the money tho, only you can't go back to school. Therefore my question is, how much of a pay cut are you willing to take? With your Canada Post example, are you ok with those wages?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
OP you sound burnt out. Have you sought out help?

It happens in people-intensive work, when you put so much effort helping others you forget yourself.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2015
30 posts
36 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
No Frills wrote: This type of thread seems to come around now and then. That is, posters in this forum looking for the highest salary possible in a back office role so they don't have to deal with people.

You haven't really brought up the money tho, only you can't go back to school. Therefore my question is, how much of a pay cut are you willing to take? With your Canada Post example, are you ok with those wages?
Thank you for your response. Honestly, I am okay with 55k to start then move forward from there. In the non-profit world, you don't make much. I know the post may be cliche, but I thought it was worth a try, people are generally helpful here and I am at my wits end.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2015
30 posts
36 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
bhrm wrote: OP you sound burnt out. Have you sought out help?

It happens in people-intensive work, when you put so much effort helping others you forget yourself.
Thank you for your compassion. I am okay, just tired of the grind. I believe if I am able to switch it up, I will get my energy back.
I don't think I can handle working with marginalized individuals for much longer. Not that there is anything wrong with those interactions, I am just finding it has been draining. I need some solitary work for a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5070 posts
3251 upvotes
Tsx24kb wrote: Thank you for your compassion. I am okay, just tired of the grind. I believe if I am able to switch it up, I will get Not that there is anything wrong with those interactions, I am just finding it has been draining. I need some solitary work for a bit.
I know quite a few people who do what you do, some still do what they do and some couldn't go any longer because it was literally killing them. It's underappreciated work with no simple solutions. Try learning a new hobby, new activity like a sport, or something to change pace.

It's not just your field, but in a lot of jobs and industries people feel like they can go the extra miles every time because they feel they are capable and obligated, but it starts to consume them.

Alfred said it best to Bruce Wayne in Dark Knight, watch it again!
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes
Tsx24kb wrote: Good Morning,
I currently work as a supervisor with a non-profit which supports individuals with disabilities. My contract is due to expire at the end of August.
Although I have had some success making my way up the ladder in non-profit, I do not enjoy the people focused work which I do.
I would be a lot happier if I could work in an individual capacity. I was driving the other day and looked out at a Canada Post Mail Carrier. I found myself so envious. That is a job that I would love because you do not need to be "on" socially for the entire work day.
I have my BA, B.Ed and have worked in non-profit for the last 6 years, just over 3 years with my company serving individuals with disabilities.
Could I please request any advice on how to transition, and what to transition to - where my work background would be transferrable?
Honestly, some days I wish I could sit in a box and work - but I have a family and bills are never-ending so I cannot go back to school for something like coding etc.
I would really appreciate any help I could get. Thank you!
Your still in a good situation because the best time to look for work is when you are employed. Why don't you try and move internally, Management/Supervisor type roles are going to be less transactional and more people oriented, does your place of work have any such opportunities? BTW, siting at a desk performing tasks is also not that great, has it's own downsides.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)