• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 11:15 pm
[OP]
Apr 24, 2018
137 posts
200 upvotes
Ontario

Advice for running Ethernet from the basement to the second floor

I have my router situated to the first floor and I was hoping to run Ethernet to my bedroom for faster speeds.

I am thinking of running Ethernet from the first floor into my unfinished basement through the fiber pipe and then feeding the Ethernet into a vent that goes to my room.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2009
1051 posts
282 upvotes
If u have cable, actiontec MoCa. Works awesome for me.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3869 posts
1305 upvotes
MarvelFan909 wrote: I have my router situated to the first floor and I was hoping to run Ethernet to my bedroom for faster speeds.

I am thinking of running Ethernet from the first floor into my unfinished basement through the fiber pipe and then feeding the Ethernet into a vent that goes to my room.
Make sure to run it in the cold air duct, you may also want to get duct rated cables?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8435 posts
5315 upvotes
Mississauga
Up through the cold air return, into the attic, down into an interior bedroom wall, terminate appropriately.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4272 posts
3413 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
You are better off running it through a cold air return, since it's a much larger space than a 4" duct, and you are less likely to get snagged on screws or sheet metal edges. Use CAT 6 for future proofing. Plenum rated cable is up to you; the only difference is it's fire/smoke rating. IMHO, if you have a fire hot enough in your basement to ignite the housing in a duct, the place is going to be full of smoke already. Different story in a commercial/institutional setting with multiple cables.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1985 posts
140 upvotes
Vaughan
Before you try to run cables from your basement into attic and then into bedrooms I would consider existing out of the box solutions:
1. Ethernet over Powerline - works for me in one of the bedrooms, gives me steady 200Mbps, Netflix works without issues.
2. MoCA - using adapters to run Ethernet over RG6 cables (check limitations if you want to use the same cables you are using for sat or cable TV).
3. Mesh routers can give very fast speeds - check them out.
Good luck! If you decide to run a cable from basement into attic and then drop into bedrooms I suggest to wait till fall, it's probably 60'C in the attic when it's 30'C outside.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36195 posts
9452 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Personally, I would start ripping out small pieces of dry wall and run it properly.

I don’t like anything in my ducts return air or otherwise
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
2214 posts
267 upvotes
Mississauga
I thought about this before but it was going to be too much work. Ended up buying PC-AC88 to match my AC3100. I consistently get 700mbps to 760mbps with a 1gbps Ignite plan.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5741 posts
3571 upvotes
stansoltz wrote: If u have cable, actiontec MoCa. Works awesome for me.
Looks interesting. But quite expensive as compared to something like a powerline adaptor. What kind of speeds are you getting?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2988 posts
1059 upvotes
I could be wrong but wouldn't longgg ethernet slow down speeds? I would personally look into a mesh system...
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4800 posts
4549 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote: I could be wrong but wouldn't longgg ethernet slow down speeds? I would personally look into a mesh system...
Ethernet cabling is rated for a specific standard (CAT 6, 5e, etc.) up to 100m. In theory, after 100m, they're not guaranteed for that standard and might be slightly slower, or they might be perfectly fine. In a house, 100 metres is be plenty.
Jan 7, 2006
722 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
I ran ethernet in my house, I only had to open one access hole in the ceiling to guide the wires... otherwise, no other drywall had to be opened up other than to install the wall plates/brackets. I Just used existing paths that the heating/cooling ducts (not in the ducts!) or plumbing run behind the walls, you can pull the nails out of the register on the floor and gently slide duct work over and see how it runs on the 2nd floor and how to drop down to the basement (easier with unfinished basements). I still had to use glowrods and fishtape to to go in the desired direction, very little drilling/cutting for the 20 drops I ran.

Why you shouldn't run cables in ducts? If you need to remove the duct for whatever reason (or do the aeroseal stuff), you might need to remove the cable and run it again. You'll also need more expensive CMP cables.. yes you can just buy CMR or CMG and run it in the ducts, it'll be fine until it's not fine. When the non CMP cables burn, they release toxic fumes, it might be the difference of getting out safe or choking out. Stay safe, knock on wood, hope it never happens.