Automotive

Advice - seeking SUV/CUV that can seat 1 toddler and 2 infant seats across rear seats

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2013 3:33 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
7050 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto

Advice - seeking SUV/CUV that can seat 1 toddler and 2 infant seats across rear seats

Currently have 16m old and expecting twins this sept.
So the older girl will always be ~2yrs older for reference as they grow up.

Least wide car seat on the market is the Diono Radian RXT.

We would like to do this:

As seen on the Diono website.
Fitting 3 Radian seats side by side requires a minimum interior width of 124 cm (49") (130 cm for minivans), as measured from door arm rest to door arm rest across the back seat.
The specs are :
Product Dimensions
Open: 72.4 cm H x 43.2 cm W x 40.6 cm D (28.5" H x 17" W x 16" D)

We both took the Honda odyssey for the test drive, and i went out in my neighbors new dodge grand caravan, and minivans are not for us.

The Toyota highlander and Honda pilot are very nice, but a bit much. We would like to stay close to $30k OTR (On The Road).
We currently have a 2011 Golf highline 4 door with a Britax boulevard 65-G3 behind the passenger.

So does anyone have similar experience and what ending up working for you?
42 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1191 posts
112 upvotes
Stoney Creek
balou911 wrote: Currently have 16m old and expecting twins this sept.

As seen on the Diono website.
Fitting 3 Radian seats side by side requires a minimum interior width of 124 cm (49") (130 cm for minivans), as measured from door arm rest to door arm rest across the back seat.
The specs are :
Product Dimensions
Open: 72.4 cm H x 43.2 cm W x 40.6 cm D (28.5" H x 17" W x 16" D)

We both took the Honda odyssey for the test drive, and i went out in my neighbors new dodge grand caravan, and minivans are not for us.

The Toyota highlander and Honda pilot are very nice, but a bit much. We would like to stay close to $30k OTR (On The Road).
We currently have a 2011 Golf highline 4 door with a Britax boulevard 65-G3 behind the passenger.

So does anyone have similar experience and what ending up working for you?
You might want to check this link from the parenting forum: vehicle-best-3-kids-1305452/

$30,000 OTR...depending on your opinion on large suvs...we found that the Yukon XL, Suburban or the Ford Expedition Max suits our needs with 3 young children. Perhaps a 2010 of one of these vehicles...but they are big...however with all the stuff you will need to carry around with 3 young ones during family outings/trips, you will be happy with the room.

Other then that, you mentioned no minivans and no pilot/highlander which eliminates my other choices. I'm not a fan of the GMC acadia/Buick Enclaves/santa fe/flex etc etc.

You can check this website which allows you to compare vehicle features (width/length/cargo space etc) and then check autotrader for used car prices in the area once you narrow it down a bit.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1221 posts
199 upvotes
When your kids get a bit older you will regret not buying a minivan
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20683 posts
4825 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Swallow your pride and get a minivan. Anything smaller you are putting a huge risk on your kids being very close to the doors. With a side impact, you are going to regret it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25237 posts
3102 upvotes
Montreal
balou911 wrote: Currently have 16m old and expecting twins this sept.

That's only an option when the twins reach 35 lbs. Until then it will be rear facing. You need to check how much space they take rear facing.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2009
1275 posts
82 upvotes
You need a minivan... If you intend on keeping the vehicle for a while, your kids will grow and they will be way more comfortable in a minivan than a SUV.

If you really want a SUV, you are better off with a 7 seater. Chevy Orlando or Traverse are spacious options, Ford Explorer is another, as is the Ford Flex.

For a 5 seater, Ford Edge has plenty of internal space. You will need to check the car's manual to make sure that it can handle 3 car seats in the back, as there may be not enough anchor points available to do so.
Sep 25, 2009
617 posts
71 upvotes
Mississauga
Redesigned CRV only - 5 seater with real place for 5. a lot of 7 seaters are good. Venza may be another option
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13277 posts
7412 upvotes
Toronto
as others have said, you need a Minivan.

For $30K new, check the new Santa Fe XL or the Pathfinder...they are more than $30K but the cheapest 7 seater SUV's I can think of.
ncc.1701 wrote: Redesigned CRV only - 5 seater with real place for 5. a lot of 7 seaters are good. Venza may be another option
I seriously doubt you will fit 3 child seats across the back of a CRV
Deal Addict
May 16, 2009
1275 posts
82 upvotes
MS MSP wrote: as others have said, you need a Minivan.

For $30K new, check the new Santa Fe XL or the Pathfinder...they are more than $30K but the cheapest 7 seater SUV's I can think of.

I seriously doubt you will fit 3 child seats across the back of a CRV
Indeed. I got a 09' RAV4 and it is wider than the current CRV. I know for a fact that my RAV4 won't seat 3 car seats because the car's manual states that there is no attachment point for a 2nd car seat.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5563 posts
1195 upvotes
I believe a Forester would work (but not sure about the redesigned 2014)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18400 posts
2791 upvotes
Langley
GMC Acadia. It's quite big inside, has 3 fairly comfortable rows, and still handles like a smaller SUV.

Personally, I prefer a fullsize SUV and I'd get a Tahoe or a Suburban, but not everybody likes to drive a truck.

http://www.cars.com/gmc/acadia/2012/specifications/
[QUOTE]
57.9 " rear hiproom
48.3 " 3rd row hiproom [/QUOTE]

The third row is almost wide enough.
Nov 30, 2010
925 posts
276 upvotes
Get a minivan, your gonna be kicking yourself in the future if you don't.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1321 posts
29 upvotes
We have all been down this road... I will not get a minivan.. I will not get a minivan. But since the arrival of my twins as well.. guess what?! Minivan it is. The minivan may not be for 'you' but its for the kids. Sure you can a SUV forget even a CUV but kids have car seats, boosters, gear, fights and you may even have a guest or two. So a minivan is the best choice when you have 3 or more kids.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1321 posts
29 upvotes
The only reason why so many of us have replied with minivan is because we don't feel as bad as we see more and more dads out there with minivans. Its our way to be secure of ourselves to see others in minivans.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2009
1275 posts
82 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: GMC Acadia. It's quite big inside, has 3 fairly comfortable rows, and still handles like a smaller SUV.

Personally, I prefer a fullsize SUV and I'd get a Tahoe or a Suburban, but not everybody likes to drive a truck.

http://www.cars.com/gmc/acadia/2012/specifications/

The third row is almost wide enough.
He could probably do 2 in the rear, and one in the 2nd row, or 2 in 2nd row, 1 in rear. More room for everyone.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)