Real Estate

Advice on selecting the right contractor (flooring and other)?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2019 11:32 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
29 posts
9 upvotes

Advice on selecting the right contractor (flooring and other)?

First-time home buyer here, so figuring out things as I go along...obviously new to the renovation process. I've a detached property in Oakville that I need to make some changes to.

Specifically, I need to remove some built-in shelves and cabinets (previous owners had several attached to the walls) in the family room and dining room. I also need to remove a "bench" / seat with storage space (not sure how to call it) and the fireplace in the family room area. All this to create a bit more space in what is a pretty compact house.

In addition to the removals, I will need to rip out the old hardwood and install engineered wood flooring in the family, living and dining rooms. The current flooring has numerous scratches, is old and creaks in a number of places. Family room will need about 130 sq ft and the living + dining rooms will need about 270 sq ft of material. I'm thinking I will need 500 sq ft of engineered hardwood in total to be safe?

I've a couple of quotes from contractors (contacts from my realtor), but I'd like to get more from others. Any recommendations?? I don't see any way to see online reviews etc to see who's a good contractor and who isn't. I did check out Homestars, but not sure how legit those reviews are...
1 reply
Jan 30, 2019
103 posts
63 upvotes
Try Homestars for online reviews. You can filter out by trade, job, etc. Word of mouth and being able to see jobs completed by a contractor is the best way, but if not, Homestars is quite reliable. I have used it for a kitchen reno.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)