• Aug 7th, 2020 7:03 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1530 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver

Advice on shed for backyard

Plan to get a shed for my backyard and is looking for suggestions.

1. Get a pre-built costco plastic shed or hire someone to build a wood shed?
2. What's the expected cost to build a wood shed?
3. City bylaws permit or distancing from neighbor requirement
33 replies
Jan 19, 2017
790 posts
870 upvotes
Kitchener
1) Wood will almost always have better longevity.

2) Wood shed will vary in cost greatly dependent on what you do with it, could go bare bones, or some go full brick, use patio doors on the front, etc. Theres really no budget, but expect to be in the $2k mark to start.

3) will be dependent on municipality. Some will allow you to build without permit, but it must comply with municipal code regarding distance from property, size, etc. Basically, they leave it on you to comply, and if you don't, you take the risk of being asked to move it later.

One other thing a lot of people neglect to look into is calling insurance to ensure that the shed is covered. We build sheds, and put thousands of dollars worth of contents and equipment in it. Would be diligent to ensure that they're aware and you're covered.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9693 posts
1148 upvotes
Just buy the one from Costco, cheap and life time warranty. I had a broken piece, they just mailed the replacement to me, no question asked.

Check your local by law , it usually requires to be installed about 2 feet from your property line.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1342 posts
917 upvotes
London, On
In an around 100 sq ft, give or take, is usually where the need for a permit starts. Check your local bylaws. Wood may be a bit harder to do this year, depending on building supplies shortages. I personally love a wood shed a lot more than the plastic or vinyl sheds, but that's a matter of taste. Wood ones do generally require some upkeep over the years, where plastic may or may not have issues as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21742 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
djeffery wrote: In an around 100 sq ft, give or take, is usually where the need for a permit starts. Check your local bylaws. Wood may be a bit harder to do this year, depending on building supplies shortages. I personally love a wood shed a lot more than the plastic or vinyl sheds, but that's a matter of taste. Wood ones do generally require some upkeep over the years, where plastic may or may not have issues as well.
This

Might be a project for 2021

Do your thinking / planning now

We got rid of our “temporary” prefab shed a few years ago.
The plastic ones tend to crack & break
And the steel ones tend to rust and collapse under snow weight

There are plenty of plans online to build wood ones
Or you can buy a kit from a DIY Store *
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/handy- ... 1000109754
We’ve done both over the years

Current shed is just under 100 Sq Feet (no permit needed)
This one wasn’t a Kit ... we used online plans this time
Nice cuz you can find more assortment, or modify for customizing doors & windows

You also might want to check out the latest thinking in sheds
Building them as a multi purpose spaces

Back in the day when the kids were little ... (different house)
we had a Shed & Kids Playhouse combo
* Used a Shed Kit from a DIY Store to make that one
Was similar to this = https://www.lowes.ca/product/wood-stora ... -330641872

But in the last 30+ years, now more ideas have come to light, and people are building more of these structures for their own enjoyment:
Shed & Greenhouse - Shed & Artist Studio - Shed & Pool Hut - Shed & Backyard Kitchen - Shed & Backyard Bar
GOOGLE to see examples / get inspiration

In the Winter it stores all your outdoor junk (Works as a traditional shed)
In the Summer It serves as whatever other “fantasy” you have in mind

The concept is so popular there’s even a Tv Series on it

Lots to think about if you are young, and have plans to stay in your home long term
Definitely more options now than just a place to throw junk into
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18012 posts
9001 upvotes
One thing I like about a wood shed is the flexibility to do whatever you want inside the space. Want to put some hooks up? Want to put up a small "floor" near the roof? The possibilities are endless, where as with the plastic sheds it is my experience they do not have the structure to support doing "anything". What I do like about the plastic sheds is that they should look great when built, where as a wood shed may not if you lack the skill.

Every city has their own requirements but they will likely include a maximum size, maximum height, distance from house, distance from other structures, etc. It's best to check your municipality website for details, or give them a call.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5047 posts
2741 upvotes
GTA
Fantastical wrote: 2. What's the expected cost to build a wood shed?
In my experience it was the same price as the costco shed, but you do the work yourself. But it looks 10x better than the costco shed and wont melt under the sun lol
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7137 upvotes
Paris
shabby wrote: In my experience it was the same price as the costco shed, but you do the work yourself. But it looks 10x better than the costco shed and wont melt under the sun lol
In my experience, its hard to get a wood shed with a proper door, siding, roof etc that looks good for under $3k. However, now its a tiny house and should last longer than you. Plus its super fun to start with a bunch of lumber and turn it into something.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5047 posts
2741 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: In my experience, its hard to get a wood shed with a proper door, siding, roof etc that looks good for under $3k. However, now its a tiny house and should last longer than you. Plus its super fun to start with a bunch of lumber and turn it into something.
I spent a bit less than half on mine, the siding was around $600 from Lowe's, pylex screws and pressure treated base was another $300 and the rest on 2x4 and stuff. Although the windows and shingles I had from other projects, but it's doable.
Images
  • 20171009_160300.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1501 posts
916 upvotes
ottawa
shabby wrote:
I spent a bit less than half on mine, the siding was around $600 from Lowe's, pylex screws and pressure treated base was another $300 and the rest on 2x4 and stuff. Although the windows and shingles I had from other projects, but it's doable.
Is your siding painted? To be honest I went from a house with wooden windows, wooden shed, wooden detached garage, etc. I wouldn't go back. I now have a plastic shed that's been up for 4-5 years and looks great, pressure washed it to remove some dirt but no cracks, has windows, door swings nicely, no annual maintenance is a huge plus.

Wood is great and I love that it's a renewable resource but man the maintenance seriously sucks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5047 posts
2741 upvotes
GTA
barqers wrote:
Is your siding painted? To be honest I went from a house with wooden windows, wooden shed, wooden detached garage, etc. I wouldn't go back. I now have a plastic shed that's been up for 4-5 years and looks great, pressure washed it to remove some dirt but no cracks, has windows, door swings nicely, no annual maintenance is a huge plus.

Wood is great and I love that it's a renewable resource but man the maintenance seriously sucks.
The siding isn't painted, only the trim around the windows and corners is.
I used this engineered siding https://www.lowes.ca/product/wood-sidin ... ding-55897

My parents have a shed with wood exterior, they sealed it with something and after 20 years it will looks like new.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18061 posts
12781 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: In my experience, its hard to get a wood shed with a proper door, siding, roof etc that looks good for under $3k. However, now its a tiny house and should last longer than you. Plus its super fun to start with a bunch of lumber and turn it into something.
I got one installed by Duroshed and that figure of $3k is not far off....not including the base prep. Highly recommend buy the "optional" increased height (7' instead of 6', makes a big difference IMO) and double doors for moving things in/out.

https://duroshed.ca/sheds/carriage-house/

BTW for those thinking of building it themselves....materials alone is close to half of that so considering the time and effort of sourcing and picking up/delivering materials, cutting it and excess materials (eg shingles), I think it's better to just let the company do it (for $1500, it's worth it). It was installed in roughly 1.5 days (one weekend) by one dude in my case. Almost all of the materials are cut and put onto a trailer and hauled to installation site. He unloads it all and gets to work assembling and installing it.

Wood sheds are a great investment IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11982 posts
7137 upvotes
Paris
gr8dlr wrote: I got one installed by Duroshed and that figure of $3k is not far off....
I built a playhouse for my kids on a PT platform. I had the platform, but needed siding, some windows, framing lumber. I dont know that I spent $3k, but the only reason I didnt is because I have access to mis-measured windows and siding at cost.

If you build a wood shed, I think you need to put in a properly secured exterior door at 36” or so. The Royal Outdoor sheds used to come with proper double door slabs and I dont think they even do that now.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18061 posts
12781 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: I built a playhouse for my kids on a PT platform. I had the platform, but needed siding, some windows, framing lumber. I dont know that I spent $3k, but the only reason I didnt is because I have access to mis-measured windows and siding at cost.

If you build a wood shed, I think you need to put in a properly secured exterior door at 36” or so. The Royal Outdoor sheds used to come with proper double door slabs and I dont think they even do that now.
Material is close to half of the cost (stuff adds up in a hurry especially if you're paying retail for wood).

The doors (2) I got is not an exterior door.

[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1530 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver
If I buy a Costco Shed to assemble in my backyard, do I need to convert the ground into concrete first before i lay over the Costco Shed?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1342 posts
917 upvotes
London, On
Fantastical wrote: If I buy a Costco Shed to assemble in my backyard, do I need to convert the ground into concrete first before i lay over the Costco Shed?
You'll need some type of flat solid surface, whether concrete, wood, patio stones, something like that. I built a frame and used some excess decking I had, good solid surface under it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1530 posts
561 upvotes
Vancouver
unspecified (1).jpg

Got a quote to build a 10x10 cedar shed for $6,500.

Is this a reasonable price?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1342 posts
917 upvotes
London, On
This is the price list for various types of sheds from a company southeast of London that has been doing sheds for decades. I had a shed done by them a little over 15 years ago, although I ordered it from a building centre store in town, I wasn't aware it was Wagler until they came to deliver it, intact on the back of a trailer. Was a great shed and the people that own that house still have it.

https://www.waglermini-barns.com/our-barns
Sep 30, 2004
732 posts
119 upvotes
Markham
gr8dlr wrote: I got one installed by Duroshed and that figure of $3k is not far off....not including the base prep. Highly recommend buy the "optional" increased height (7' instead of 6', makes a big difference IMO) and double doors for moving things in/out.

https://duroshed.ca/sheds/carriage-house/

BTW for those thinking of building it themselves....materials alone is close to half of that so considering the time and effort of sourcing and picking up/delivering materials, cutting it and excess materials (eg shingles), I think it's better to just let the company do it (for $1500, it's worth it). It was installed in roughly 1.5 days (one weekend) by one dude in my case. Almost all of the materials are cut and put onto a trailer and hauled to installation site. He unloads it all and gets to work assembling and installing it.

Wood sheds are a great investment IMO.
Got mine done by them about 6 years now. Standing strong didn't do any maintenance on. We did paint the shed and added solar lights on it for accent lighting.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18061 posts
12781 upvotes
Markham
Fantastical wrote: Image
unspecified (1).jpg

Got a quote to build a 10x10 cedar shed for $6,500.

Is this a reasonable price?
Why do you want a cedar shed? Did you check out the prices for duroshed the company I used? They are around the $3000 mark for a carriage house model. BTW 10 x 10 is 100 sq ft. 12x 8 is 96 sq ft. But 12x 8 is more versatile IMO because you can fit longer things in there. Added to that 12 x 8 just looks bigger which is nice, better scaled especially if you have a double door like I recommend.

Don't you think this looks way better for far less money?
Screenshot_20200801-110723.jpg