Shopping Discussion

Advice for t.v. and internet when you don't have a landline...

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2009 8:33 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4052 posts
823 upvotes
West Side GTA

Advice for t.v. and internet when you don't have a landline...

I've been sifting through a few other threads (mainly rogers and bell threads with a few teksavvy threads) but I can't seem to find the info i need because i guess i'm one of the odd ones out there without a landline. I don't have any need for a landline as i plan to use my mobile for everything pretty much.

I've also looked into teksavvy but they charge me 9.00 for the bandrate dry loop fee + 24.95 for the regular :( and that's with no t.v. added on top.

Rogers bundling only saves me 5% and i'd have to haggle with them for another 20% (as per the VIP discussion thread on rfd). So ultra lite service is 25 + basic cable which is another 30 comes out to 55.

So anyhow, i'm looking for basic t.v. programming (with some HD content) and also basic high speed internet. A small bundle package in other words. I've been eyeing a thread in rfd about this...

http://entertainment.bell.ca/en/webfeatures.html

as it seems to fit what i want, but i think it connects through a landline which i don't have. Phone jacks in my house are installed but no service is running to them.

Anyhow wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that i might have missed. thanks.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1894 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
For TV, have you thought about OTA? Depending on where you are in Toronto you can get all the major networks in HD OTA; CTV, CBC, Global, City TV, Sun TV, OMNI, E!, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX.

For internet, if you don't have a phone line it will cost you band rate for dry loop or you can get express with rogers for less than the cost of internet + band rate by haggling with them.

-- You would probably get more replies if this was moved to the computer & electronics forum.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3461 posts
3308 upvotes
Montreal
-=phelan=- wrote: I've been eyeing a thread in rfd about this...

as it seems to fit what i want, but i think it connects through a landline which i don't have. Phone jacks in my house are installed but no service is running to them.

Anyhow wondering if anyone has any other suggestions that i might have missed. thanks.
For Bell internet, dryloop fee = $0... you don't need landline, you can order dryloop and use it with your current phone jacks...
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
I don't have a landline either. Was with Bell for dry loop but cancelled because of poor customer service. Currently use acanac for internet (about $300 for first year incl. dry loop, much cheaper than Bell) and am very pleased, especially for unlimited dls. Using Shaw Direct for HD Satellite which is about $50-60 per month. I was quite content with HD-OTA but bf wanted to be able to watch sports. I do anything I can to avoid using Bell services directly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4052 posts
823 upvotes
West Side GTA
Personally I'd love to do OTA but i do watch sports from time to time and would like to continue having that ability :)

I'll post this up in the computers section and see if i get any more replies thanks.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3560 posts
651 upvotes
Kingston
The answer is pretty simple:

1) Go with teksavvy. Sure it is $29.99 + $9.00 dry loop fee per month, but think about what you are getting. For the time being, 200GB cap and great customer service. Try getting that with Bell. You'll get a 60GB cap and probably be paying MORE then what Teksavvy charges.

2) Assuming you can have a satellite dish, go with FTA. Go to a FTA forum like ftatalk.com or satfix.net and do a search for "nfusion or k-box"

That's it
Dec 31, 1969
Acanac offers a promo first year deal for dry loop dsl:
$18.95 month dsl but prepaid a year plus $8 month dry loop
speeds up to 5M unlimited. And depending on CRTC decision,
may be offering iptv http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTV in the future.

Imelda O. Suzara
Acanac Rep
-=phelan=- wrote: I've been sifting through a few other threads (mainly rogers and bell threads with a few teksavvy threads) but I can't seem to find the info i need because i guess i'm one of the odd ones out there without a landline. I don't have any need for a landline as i plan to use my mobile for everything pretty much.

I've also looked into teksavvy but they charge me 9.00 for the bandrate dry loop fee + 24.95 for the regular :( and that's with no t.v. added on top.

Rogers bundling only saves me 5% and i'd have to haggle with them for another 20% (as per the VIP discussion thread on rfd). So ultra lite service is 25 + basic cable which is another 30 comes out to 55.

So anyhow, i'm looking for basic t.v. programming (with some HD content) and also basic high speed internet. A small bundle package in other words. I've been eyeing a thread in rfd about this...

Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9016 posts
2556 upvotes
London
kcorscadden wrote: The answer is pretty simple:

1) Go with teksavvy. Sure it is $29.99 + $9.00 dry loop fee per month, but think about what you are getting. For the time being, 200GB cap and great customer service. Try getting that with Bell. You'll get a 60GB cap and probably be paying MORE then what Teksavvy charges.

2) Assuming you can have a satellite dish, go with FTA. Go to a FTA forum like ftatalk.com or satfix.net and do a search for "nfusion or k-box"

That's it
I agree with 1). With Teksavvy you get good service at an honest price; there's no sneaky automatic billing like some other discount DSL providers.

Point 2) I find interesting; it's basically theft of services, however you want to dress it up. Not everyone is comfortable with the ethical issues involved... and IKS is traceable.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3757 posts
1041 upvotes
Pick up a Rogers Grab N Go Kit and get 3 months free internet, then worry about what you're going to do after that.

You can get a Rogers HD Box on sale for $169.88 at Audiotronic (PM it at BB or FS), Rogers will give you more free HD channels with Basic Cable than Bell.