Automotive

Advice for used car purchase Honda vs VW

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2017 8:36 pm
[OP]
Feb 24, 2017
3 posts

Advice for used car purchase Honda vs VW

I'm search of a used car, something to get me from work and back without costing me $18/trip for 90km round trip to work like my 07 Montana current is...

I've narrowed my search down to 3 cars that I have personally seen and test driven, except for the VW.

Car 1) 2001 Jetta 1.8T Manual with only 220K KM, and 1 owner, clutch changed at 150K km. The body had no rust, except for a 3inch x 3inch area near the front week door/wheel. The owner has done the repair himself and painted it over. Underneath looked good, and interior looked clean minus a few broken items. My first concern with this car is that the engine light is on, however the owner states it's the 2nd Air intake underneath. Owner mentioned he passed the e-test by resetting the code, driving around etc... but to replace the part is $400... My other concern, is it has a turbo, which if fails can get $$$, correct me if I'm wrong, also it being a VW, I'm assuming the parts are more $? I went for a test drive with the owner, I didn't drive it myself. The owner said he took the insurance off it, and has never sold a car, so didn't offer to let me drive, although I didn't bother asking either. On the road the acceleration was good, too good =) breaking seemed ok, and I felt no vibrations. If I knew the car would pass the e-test I might be sold, but that engine light, it having a turbo, has be on edge.

Car 2) 2001 Honda Accord Special Ed with 220k km, Automatic. In my search for cars, I REALLY want a manual, however with low(er) km, and in good shape they are harder to find. This car has absolutely zero rust, and the underneath is the same. Almost seems like the car came from Florida. No engine light or other warning lights are on, so hopefully that's good for the e-test..? Body is in 9.5 condition, for it's age. Someone must have hit a curb up front because the very bottom plastic grill is smashed. Zip tied in place now. The interior of the accord is flawless, no rips, stains, and everything works. I had it on the road for a good 20 minutes, acceleration was great, breaks seemed ok, car didn't pull to one side. There was a very, very slight vibration when idle, but only when idle do you notice it and it's very minimal. For it being 16years old the car is in really great shape.

Car 3) 2001 Honda Civic with 220k km, and manual ( +1 for being a manual) This car comes with the e-test cert, and safetied from the owner. Had it out for a spit, pick up seemed very good, breaking ok too. The body has it's normal wear and tear for the age. More so than then VW or the accord. There is minimal rust developing over the rear tire area. Now for the issues... When I test drove it, muffler sounded good, BUT whenever you accelerate, there is a buzzing noise coming from somewhere beneath. It sounds like something is rubbing, but it's a buzzing noise. The same noise you get when kids put carboard in their bike spokes. It's not overly loud but it's definitely present when you accelerate, although it seems to have no effect on the car's performance. Other than that, the car is ok, just in slightly more rough shape then the above two.

Thanks in advance for any replies. BTW, all 3 cars have an asking price of $1500(cnd), and I much prefer a manual but I'm considering the accord because of how spotless condition it's in.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2742 posts
1973 upvotes
no to VW. 1.8t of that year had major oil sludge issues. Unless you want to be in the poor house quick then avoid at all cost.

Civic is already etested and certified which means its road legal.
Accord, given its condition, seems to be the best buy. The vibration could be a motor or transmission mount.
Smash that like button!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1213 upvotes
aGincourt
Accord automatic transmissions were horrible for that year, would avoid.

That "buzzing" noise in the Civic is the input shaft bearing of the manual transmission wobbling around, very common problem. Would avoid.

Don't know enough about VWs to comment

I would save up another 2g and buy a better car overall. If you can get an 8th gen 06-11 Civic they are pretty well made.
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Im one of the bigger fans of VW's, as often they are just all around better cars than its competition in terms of performance and comfort...

But stay away from 4th gen Jettas; this was a low point for VW, and this car is why people have negative associations with Mexican made cars. Parts cost wont be to out there compared to its Japanese rivals, but unless you can do your own work it will nickel and dime you to death.

Accord; does this have a v6? If so I would avoid.

Stay with honda; but based on your budget, take a look at 1st gen Ford Focus's, as they are great cars ( arguably better than this gen of Honda which was lacking, and tend to be priced cheaper than Honda)
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I would take a hard look at vehicles such as this, instead of vehicles from the widely accepted worst years of VW/Honda

08 Impala; bette car in every way, safer, cheap as chips to maintain
http://preowned.ambermotors.ca/details. ... ID=3986576

08 newer, just look out for timing belt/waterpump
http://preowned.ambermotors.ca/details. ... ID=3986575

Fit... Best car you can buy for under 3k
http://preowned.ambermotors.ca/details. ... ID=3986578

Focus
http://preowned.ambermotors.ca/details. ... ID=3987744

In regards to this used dealer, yes it looks shady.. but they are upfront that they dont know anything about the vehicles, and all their inventory comes from the Toyota on eglington, Honda and Nissan.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2742 posts
1973 upvotes
The Fit was a nice hatchback. Wife had one, absolutely no issues.
Keep in mind its not a traffic light racer but it did average 35-40mpg and just ran. Seats can get a bit uncomfortable (at least for me being 6'4 230). But where Honda cut back costs it made up in functional usability. We could get so much stuff in a small car. Easy to work on too.

Can also look at camry/corolla of that era too.
Smash that like button!
[OP]
Feb 24, 2017
3 posts
The Accord is the 2.3l.

I wanted to stay away from domestic cars, although im aware theres a better bang for buck to be had. As im driving this 100km day, i want to be in an accord or civic. Manual prefered but I'd consider the Accord as the condition looks is extremely good.
I've been looking at cars in the $2k range and considering them with up to 250k km condition permitting.
The Accord is a ford dealer trade in, the vw and the civic are private sales. Good to know about the civic, ill keep away from that one.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
the accord or civic for sure...although I agree on the Fit...would be a great choice
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2651 posts
1901 upvotes
Markham
The strongest of the 3 you listed is the Accord. A VW that has no TLC is likely going to be a problem, it can last but the owner has to ensure the car is in top shape for that to happen and many don't. The 7th gen Civic particularly early models aren't a strong design, lots of common design faults, so getting a weak example is not a good move. The weakness of the Accord will be that automatic transmission, if its a V6 avoid immediately, if its an I4...possible if its been rebuilt recently but still worth watching over.

Personally I'd seek another set of cars, preferably with a stronger budget to reduce the amount of totally beaten cars that are near death.
[OP]
Feb 24, 2017
3 posts
My budget is around $2k plus another 500-1k for anything it might need to get it on the road. I dont want the car exceeding 3k on the road saftied and etested. And prefer to stay with honda although the vw's look like they would be fun to drive but would nickle and dime me to death as mentioned.
Dec 1, 2003
523 posts
158 upvotes
Ottawa
2001 - 2005 is the worst generation for civic. Also, when the timing belt done for the civic? Also headgasket issue is common for this generation of civic.
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I understand the appeal of wanting to stick with a Honda ( its association for reliability) but do know that 2000-2006 is the worst years by far for the Civic/Accord.

Its a tough situation as if you go any older your simply driving a very unsafe car by today's standards; any newer and it will exceed your budget.

Best case is go American/Newer Korean... but if you must stay with a Honda for under 2k, I would look for a Civic with recent receipts for timing belt/Water pump... anything else is just not worth it as the accords of that era are garbage, and timing belt change is gonna cost you a fair bit ($600-1000)
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3846 upvotes
Avoid 2001-2005 generation civic.

This site can save you a lot of money.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/

If you are considering 2001 civic, might as well try to find a 2000 civic. I'd definitely go with one of those
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto, ON
darkmatter4 wrote: My budget is around $2k plus another 500-1k for anything it might need to get it on the road. I dont want the car exceeding 3k on the road saftied and etested. And prefer to stay with honda although the vw's look like they would be fun to drive but would nickle and dime me to death as mentioned.
In that budget you can look at the 7th gen 2003-2005 Accord 4 cylinder.
Some of them with higher kilometers can be found in the $2-3K range on kijiji.
I had a 2004 Accord last year and sold it with 316K on it, the engine was very strong for the mileage.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube