• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 10:29 am
[OP]
Dec 1, 2008
412 posts
117 upvotes
Windsor

Advice to when to buy Minivan

Hi, any advice when there might be a good sale or 0% financing for minivans this year (looking at Dodge grand caravan, honda minivan even 2019 models or 2018 even)? Also how much can you usually get off a new dealer invoice price (few thousand? if cash option)? Anyone also know of any bank or financing of 0% if dealers don't offer them? THANKS!!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1543 posts
801 upvotes
The best time to buy a minivan is when you need it. Second best time is when next years models are coming in, and last years need to be cleared out. I don't think anyone can predict financing rates as they change monthly. Banks or other companies have zero incentive to offer a 0% loan. You will only find them on new vehicles.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8856 posts
7887 upvotes
1. Cash will never get you best discounts. Banks will never offer 0%. Manufacturer usually offer 0% in lieu of cash discount. As which one you take is depends on purchase price, your cash situation and discount. (Ie if $30K with $5K back on cash, I'll pay cash. If $50K with $5K back or 0% for 60mo? I'll take the 0%). Also, don't mix up mfger cash/loan discount with dealer margins. You apply those after you negotiate lowest price dealer will let the car go.

2. Not sure if ending of the current Grand Caravan will get you better deal or not. But 2019/20 will be its last. 2021 Grand Caravan will be under Chrysler brand and based on Pacifica. Sienna should also be last model year as well but I would assume they may have less stock on lot.

3. Timing, right now it's model year end, probably good time to hunt. Desperation of dealer really depends on stock on lot.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
My neighbour just got a good deal on a Pacifica. If you're not in a rush, keep checking with dealers for a good deal. They should likely keep getting more desperate as I doubt sales will pick up much before the end of the year.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
13620 posts
178398 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Stay away from Chrysler... I grew up with them, but long term, it is a big pile of money pit...

If you lease it, then alright...

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
6546 posts
4078 upvotes
Toronto
Dodge caravan is fine as long as you know what you are getting yourself into. As long as out the door price falls around half of what you would normally pay for a Honda or Toyota, then you are mentally prepared when things go wrong.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

Stay away from Chrysler... I grew up with them, but long term, it is a big pile of money pit...

If you lease it, then alright...

Ju Leon...
Yes, quality is worse but the will usually make up for it. Especially if you DIY. That said, Honda and Toyota haven't had great quality recently either (still not as bad as FCA).
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
18746 posts
18278 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jackrabbit000 wrote: New Honda Odyssey's have major quality issues. Just take a look at one in a showroom and see for yourself. This coming from a current Odyssey owner.
Is there any current Honda product that isn’t garbage?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8856 posts
7887 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Is there any current Honda product that isn’t garbage?
The cancelled Honda Fit.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
jackrabbit000 wrote: New Honda Odyssey's have major quality issues. Just take a look at one in a showroom and see for yourself. This coming from a current Odyssey owner.
Yea, and previous models had transmissions problems.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1441 posts
958 upvotes
Ripley
There is never a good time to buy a new minivan. Or any other vehicle. Buy one a few years old. Old people like to buy them for the size and height so there are lots out there that haven't been abused by families with young kids. They usually only keep them a year or two and trade them in. Buy a Toyota.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
zeddy wrote: There is never a good time to buy a new minivan. Or any other vehicle. Buy one a few years old. Old people like to buy them for the size and height so there are lots out there that haven't been abused by families with young kids. They usually only keep them a year or two and trade them in. Buy a Toyota.
In my experience old people drive their minivans until one of them dies.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1441 posts
958 upvotes
Ripley
engineered wrote: In my experience old people drive their minivans until one of them dies.
Not at all. They drive them until they start to cost them money in repairs.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4155 posts
1543 upvotes
BC
zeddy wrote: There is never a good time to buy a new minivan. Or any other vehicle. Buy one a few years old. Old people like to buy them for the size and height so there are lots out there that haven't been abused by families with young kids. They usually only keep them a year or two and trade them in. Buy a Toyota.
It's never a good time to spend money.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4316 posts
1409 upvotes
Brampton
I believe production has already ended in May, so whatever is out on lots now is it.
I would say anytime now as the pricing is pretty good, abut $13k discount.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2336 posts
3075 upvotes
When you have a family of 6?

Deals are all the same, its just a numbers game. You won't find any 2018 if you're looking at Odyssey or Sienna. Could be demos maybe.
Dec 28, 2017
402 posts
175 upvotes
Burlington
Vehicle price is based on dealership
Finance rate is based on manufacturers' rate
You can get both discounts and low finance rate

How low you can buy your car is based on your negotiation skills .

First, check dealership websites on their offer section, that's where you can find finance rate discounts.

We are still in covid terroritory, hence, there could be cash incentives when u buy a car.

Then go negotiate.. the key is.. there are many dealerships for the same manufacturer .. don't hesitate to go to another one of they won't give you the price you want.. or compare.

Don't show your desperation ... Be prepared to walk away . There are at least 5 sales agent that wants to sell you the same model car within a 30mins driving radius if you live in GTA
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2229 posts
1783 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Is there any current Honda product that isn’t garbage?
Honda Fit, HRV, Insight, Clarity.

It'll be interesting to see if the CRV Hybrid will be reliable ( not here yet ).