Shopping Discussion

Advice on where to buy appliances

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2021 9:28 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 23, 2001
727 posts
206 upvotes

Advice on where to buy appliances

Hey folks
It's been a while since I shopped for new appliances. Any recommendation for Montreal?
Costco? It doesn't look like they don't have a warranty similar to what they have for their TVs.

I think last time we bought from Sears.
Thx
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9150 upvotes
The NORTH
I bought at Lowes using their price match policy matching online retailers like Canadian Appliance Source for a few on my appliances.

Never buy samsung appliances.

There is no reason to buy all your appliances from the same manufacturer, buy the best/highest rated piece for each appliance.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15302 posts
20645 upvotes
Vancouver
What you buy matters more than where you buy. Don't buy something just because it's on sale. I always read Consumer Reports reviews before buying major appliances. You are already paying for an online subscription through your public library: https://www.banq.qc.ca/a_propos_banq/sa ... a25a61d789
[OP]
Sr. Member
Nov 23, 2001
727 posts
206 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: I bought at Lowes using their price match policy matching online retailers like Canadian Appliance Source for a few on my appliances.

Never buy samsung appliances.

There is no reason to buy all your appliances from the same manufacturer, buy the best/highest rated piece for each appliance.
Indeed, your aren't the first one to advise me against Samsung.
We have lg right now and it's been pretty solid: washer dryer, stove and fridge
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
5730 posts
5403 upvotes
Vancouver
In general, Costco. Free 2-year warranty and 90 day return policy.

If you know what you're doing, Best Buy Appliance Clearance Centre offers 30-50% off dents, scratches, and returns.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22829 posts
21662 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I miss Sears too …
They were AWESOME when it came to the “whole pkg” on Appliances & Mattresses
Price, Sales / Promos, Guarantee, Warranty, Delivery, and After Sales Service
Don’t see anyone now who can compare

Closest IMO is Costco
But they only carry limited items

We have also done well with Lowe’s
Back when they were still with AirMiles
Got great pricing (price matched PLUS 10%)
And a boatload of AirMiles (Shop The Block Promo )
Also bought around Black Friday
So Lowe’s had freebies thrown in …
FREE Delivery & FREE Haul Away

Overall good experience with Lowe’s
Would buy again from them if it was an item that Costco didn’t carry

Otherwise, some of the Regional / Mom & Pop places are good
Esp if you are looking for higher end goods
(Example in QC & ON = Corbeil Appliances )
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9150 upvotes
The NORTH
PointsHubby wrote: I miss Sears too …
They were AWESOME when it came to the “whole pkg” on Appliances & Mattresses
Price, Sales / Promos, Guarantee, Warranty, Delivery, and After Sales Service
Don’t see anyone now who can compare

Closest IMO is Costco
But they only carry limited items

We have also done well with Lowe’s
Back when they were still with AirMiles
Got great pricing (price matched PLUS 10%)
And a boatload of AirMiles (Shop The Block Promo )
Also bought around Black Friday
So Lowe’s had freebies thrown in …
FREE Delivery & FREE Haul Away

Overall good experience with Lowe’s
Would buy again from them if it was an item that Costco didn’t carry

Otherwise, some of the Regional / Mom & Pop places are good
Esp if you are looking for higher end goods

(Example in QC & ON = Corbeil Appliances )
Problem with Mom and Pop shops right now is that they are the last to get stock in after the big box stores/national chains and CoVid is hitting appliance manufactures hard. We had an issue replacing a dishwasher and went with a local mom and pop store to try and support a local merchant, nothing we wanted was in stock and was a wait of 4 to 6 months. They had some basic units and a few 'premium' samsung ones... Ended up going with Costco because they could get what we wanted.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1392 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Costco for sure! Their extended warranty is super cheap too.

You get 2nd year free from Costco:
https://www.costco.ca/concierge.html?langId=-24
Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty on televisions, projectors, major appliances and computers (excluding tablets) to 2 years from the date of purchase if the manufacturer's warranty is less than 2 years.
And agreed with the poster above, never buy Samsung.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
9222 posts
2877 upvotes
London
chaos1105 wrote: Costco for sure! Their extended warranty is super cheap too.

You get 2nd year free from Costco:
https://www.costco.ca/concierge.html?langId=-24



And agreed with the poster above, never buy Samsung.
I love Costco, but man, I see some absolute horror stories about the the companies contracted to their delivery if you buy online.
I would buy anything in stock in store, without hesitation, but they don't seem to hold their delivery companies to their high standards.
Sr. Member
Feb 5, 2007
816 posts
399 upvotes
Mississauga
costco for warranty. lately lowes for price
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5273 posts
3736 upvotes
Vancouver
Home Depot mostly because they price match (and closer than Lowe’s for me).
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1145 posts
1750 upvotes
scarborough
Costco.

No other will give the support should you require it

not Leon's the brick and Canadian Appliances
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
9970 posts
4251 upvotes
Vaughan
explorer11 wrote: Costco.

No other will give the support should you require it

not Leon's the brick and Canadian Appliances
Leons, Brick’s, CAS have displays, sometimes it helps to see in person when looking for appliances.
...

Top