• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 12:33 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
37 posts
37 upvotes
Westmount, QC

Advise- Buying a used car

I am currently looking to buy a used car. This would be my first car and I don't know much about cars. I don't want to spend more that 10k unless its something special. I do not have too many requirements except that the trunk be big enough to hold a decent sized stroller and other stuff.
One of my office colleague is selling a 2013 Ford Fusion S (base model) with 55k kms on it for $9500 (Reason: Inheritance, he already has 2 cars). VMR Canada is showing $10k as the whole sale price. Do you guys think if it is a good buy ? If the price is high then by how much ?

If this is not a good option, which car would you guys recommend around 10k ?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1731 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
avinavk wrote: I am currently looking to buy a used car. This would be my first car and I don't know much about cars. I don't want to spend more that 10k unless its something special. I do not have too many requirements except that the trunk be big enough to hold a decent sized stroller and other stuff.
One of my office colleague is selling a 2013 Ford Fusion S (base model) with 55k kms on it for $9500 (Reason: Inheritance, he already has 2 cars). VMR Canada is showing $10k as the whole sale price. Do you guys think if it is a good buy ? If the price is high then by how much ?

If this is not a good option, which car would you guys recommend around 10k ?
Check autotrader for prices with same mielage, model and year
Oct 2, 2017
763 posts
535 upvotes
Assuming you're going to be carrying a toddler around why not get a compact suv instead? it will have a bigger trunk space and you won't have to do yoga to get the baby/child in there
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Jun 20, 2015
647 posts
176 upvotes
Place
Check the outside condition of the car.
Are there rust spots happening, deep scratches, or dents that can impact the longevity of the vehicle?
I would ask for a car proof report and/or vehicle maintenance history from your colleague.
Take to your trust mechanic to see if you need to put more money in the long run.

The fact that you will be carrying a child in that car, you want the car in optimal shape and condition. Safety first.
Good luck!
[OP]
Nov 26, 2014
37 posts
37 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Have you seen the vehicle history? Any accidents?
I have not been told no accidents but I will check the history/car proof report.
Assuming you're going to be carrying a toddler around why not get a compact suv instead? it will have a bigger trunk space and you won't have to do yoga to get the baby/child in there
There is nothing good for 10k. I need at-least 15 for anything near decent. I checked CRV, RAV 4, Tuscan
Check autotrader for prices with same mielage, model and year
I did that but all models available are Fusion SE which is 1 above base, and are about 1.5k - 2.5 k higher in price and more mileage.
Juyen21 wrote: Check the outside condition of the car.
Are there rust spots happening, deep scratches, or dents that can impact the longevity of the vehicle?
I would ask for a car proof report and/or vehicle maintenance history from your colleague.
Take to your trust mechanic to see if you need to put more money in the long run.

The fact that you will be carrying a child in that car, you want the car in optimal shape and condition. Safety first.
I will do the checks. I will have to find out a decent mechanic for the checks in Montreal as I don't know any. If anyone knows any, please let me know :)
Feb 2, 2018
414 posts
385 upvotes
Montreal
You can also use kijiji to check pricing if autotrader doesn't return many results in your area for sale by owner/private party. With classifieds, I would base myself on the average price and not the lowest. The lowest are low for a reason, which most owners do not reveal in their ads.

A SUV makes sense so that you wouldn't have to bend over to strap your kid into the car seat. A sedan is actually a more practical height during the first year with the infant car seat -no need to lift the 12 lbs+ infant car seat + baby weight to clip it onto a SUV height seat. However, that merely lasts max 1 year.

Comparing a compact SUV with a midsize sedan, if you have the option of folding a seat (no rear passengers), the SUV easily trumps the sedan in terms of cargo capacity. If you don't have that option, the midsize sedan may actually be able to hold more stuff in my experience.

For Montreal, I recommend a Forester for a compact SUV. But Subarus usually retain their value quite highly and will exceed 10K for that mileage and age.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11754 posts
4057 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't buy an American unless you plan to driving it until the time you scrap it.
The car is already 5 years old, it will be worth close to nothing after few more years.
I would buy a Japanese car that it hold the value a bit better than American IMO
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3474 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MP3_SKY wrote: I wouldn't buy an American unless you plan to driving it until the time you scrap it.
The car is already 5 years old, it will be worth close to nothing after few more years.
I would buy a Japanese car that it hold the value a bit better than American IMO
True I wouldn't buy an American car either, but not all Japanese cars hold it's value. Lexus, out of all, holds quite a bit of value. But then again, it will definitely not be in OP's price range..lol
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11754 posts
4057 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote: True I wouldn't buy an American car either, but not all Japanese cars hold it's value. Lexus, out of all, holds quite a bit of value. But then again, it will definitely not be in OP's price range..lol
Right, he/she has to choose an older car or a car has higher mileage if he/she is opting in for a Jap car.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015