advise needed for building a basement rental suite

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2021 8:37 am
[OP]
Dec 4, 2007
57 posts
54 upvotes

advise needed for building a basement rental suite

The basement of my home was currently used as a rec room. It already has a bedroom . I am trying to build a kitchen and install washing machine to convert it into a rental suite. A friend who is also a housing inspector suggested to put the washing machine inside the furnace and hot water tank room but he advised against installing a dryer. He said that having a dryer isn't economical as it uses lots of electricity, is not very reliable and costs extra money to set up (probably need to upgrade panel to ensure enough power supply). Would potential rental steer clear of a suite without a dryer?

How much would it cost to build water supplies, drains and vent for washer and dryer combo if I decide to also get a dryer and have them both in another area of the basement?
7 replies
Dec 23, 2012
472 posts
465 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I would never live in a place without a dryer. how are they supposed to dry their laundry?
[OP]
Dec 4, 2007
57 posts
54 upvotes
does anyone know the cost to upgrade the electric panel from 100amp to 200amp?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2186 posts
3880 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
Need more context.

Is this going to be the second dryer in the home?

You have a few options, you can install a second dryer, but for good measure you want to make sure both of you aren't using the dryers at the same time not to trip a breaker (have a schedule). Your second option is to install a gas line and run a gas dryer which is cheaper, but there will be upfront cost to install.

A rental without a dryer? lol
Realtor, Investor, CPA - Collaborate with like minded people
[OP]
Dec 4, 2007
57 posts
54 upvotes
RichmondCA wrote: Need more context.

Is this going to be the second dryer in the home?

You have a few options, you can install a second dryer, but for good measure you want to make sure both of you aren't using the dryers at the same time not to trip a breaker (have a schedule). Your second option is to install a gas line and run a gas dryer which is cheaper, but there will be upfront cost to install.

Yes that would be the second dryer in my home. I guess I would have to upgrade my panel. It's going to be hard to make sure my tenant and I don't use the dryer at the same time.

A rental without a dryer? lol
Yes, it's going to be a second dryer. Any idea how much more upfront cost for a gas dryer vs an electric one?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3031 posts
2844 upvotes
Montreal
My first advice is don't rent in your own home.

Second advice is, if you do, make sure the basement is up to code and City regulations.

Third is, if you provide a laundry or dryer hookup, don't provide the appliances themselves. Otherwise you're responsible for repairs.

Fourth: if you're in Quebec, don't make it utilities included. If you're in Ontario, do make it all inclusive in the rent (assume twice as high as normal electricity consumption).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8428 posts
3007 upvotes
Maple
Without a dryer for renter? No renter would rent it.

Economical is for you (owner), as renters rather pay more for place with a dryer.

Is your rental unit legalized?
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2186 posts
3880 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
cyberguy69 wrote: Yes, it's going to be a second dryer. Any idea how much more upfront cost for a gas dryer vs an electric one?
You have to run a gas line, vent the dryer, and get a sign off on the new line. I've seen it done for less than 1k, depends on the length of run, configuration of your current setup, how open the area is, how busy trades are, etc. It's should be way cheaper than upgrading a home to 200A.
Realtor, Investor, CPA - Collaborate with like minded people