• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2019 11:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 8, 2011
152 posts
34 upvotes

advise to select New car

My preference is small car - so more gas mileage . Smallest engine also fine, not looking to race.
However it should be high enough and not feeling as if I am sitting on road. should feel like sitting in SUV.
Need all other basic stuffs no fancy.
Cost should be important factor along with insurance also.

Thanks in advance
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11470 posts
3731 upvotes
Toronto
Corolla. Small car, small gas friendly engine. Reliable.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4027 posts
4158 upvotes
GTA
Sounds like you want a sub-compact or compact CUV.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26008 posts
3278 upvotes
Montreal
Kia Niro hybrid? Subaru Crosstrek ?
Sep 25, 2018
661 posts
1210 upvotes
I don't know... if you want to feel like sitting in SUV, I think you gotta sit in SUV.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3136 posts
4198 upvotes
Edmonton
Niro is a good suggestion. Or Niro PHEV. But if you want a real SUV the best mileage is 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2011
152 posts
34 upvotes
AlicW93740 wrote: I don't know... if you want to feel like sitting in SUV, I think you gotta sit in SUV.
I want to sit in SUV but do not want to pay and consume gas like SUV! lol..
still looking small cars but do not like those cars very low sitting arrangements ...
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1329 posts
827 upvotes
Toronto
Could look into a Ford Escape or Toyota CHR.. would provide most of what you're looking for.

Best opinion is to get a list of cars (based on your preferences/criteria) and go to the dealerships and test drive the cars. Only way you will know what you want.
Jul 9, 2017
62 posts
176 upvotes
2020 Corolla Hybrid or 2019 Camry Hybrid.
Last edited by en3rgy on Jun 1st, 2019 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2595 posts
1842 upvotes
Markham
janitej wrote: I want to sit in SUV but do not want to pay and consume gas like SUV! lol..
still looking small cars but do not like those cars very low sitting arrangements ...
That will be a conundrum then, because most of the SUVs are built this way now. They offer the high riding position and sometimes ground clearance but in return you pay a lot of money just to have that body, and that tall body adds a lot of weight and drag thus making it consume more fuel, while being slower as well and long term costs will go up too as they need bigger brakes, bigger tires, etc. Heck even the same car like the Impreza vs Crosstrek, the taller Crosstrek gets worse fuel economy despite having the same shape, engine, transmission, pretty much everything. You get the higher ride height in the Crosstrek, but you sacrificed your fuel economy for that, there's no way around this.

If you're seeking lowest fuel consumption, the compact cars be it sedan or hatchbacks are right now the best. Corolla at this moment is ideal these days, its near the top on fuel efficiency, the design has finally gotten a good overhaul, Corollas have never cost much to run, so its got most of exactly what you want from the economic side of things...and they're cheaper too.

Kia Soul is a decent intermediary but its tall body does give it subcompact SUV fuel efficiency, because the Forte using the same powertrain does much better in fuel consumption. Fortunately the Soul drives a lot better than the subcompact CUV class and is at least space efficient for its size. This is as close to a car with higher ride height, but it has its trade-offs.

I personally don't care for ride height so I don't really have this problem.