Personal Finance

Is an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) Tax Deductible as a health expense by the CRA?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2019 4:41 pm
Jan 7, 2019
41 posts
31 upvotes

Is an AED (Automated External Defibrillator) Tax Deductible as a health expense by the CRA?

Hi RFD,

I recently took a health and safety course in which a AED was highly recommended to have. Due to the location of our home and ageing family, I thought it could be an interesting idea. Of course, it also turns out to be an expensive idea!! At Costco, the regular price for the Philips AED is $1400+HST... Despite the saying "You can't put a price on health", I am in need of putting a price on it :)

Is an AED accepted to be tax deductible by CRA as a health expense (or other)? I could not find a good answer online, so thought the tax experts on RFD may have an opinion. If it is, what would be required from CRA... just a receipt, or also a doctor's note/prescription/etc?

Thanks for any help, hopefully this may be be helpful to someone else as well.

Cheers!
2 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
I do not believe it is. I found the medical expense claim for taxes to be pretty restrictive.

Did you get a doctor's note? Some insurance plans cover it.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
Unless it is prescribed equipment and AED would be like a first-aid kit, not a deductible medical expense (at least not for individual, could be deductible for a business facility).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)