Price:
12000 mile
Savings:
20k off
Expiry:
September 3, 2019
Retailer:
Aeroplan
[Aeroplan] $100 Amazon.ca Gift Card for 12k Miles, saving of 2k miles per $100.
Capture.PNG
Link here

Just randomly found this after clicking around on the site. Figure some people here might be interested since TD Aeroplan card is one of the sponsor for this forum. A lot of people might have some point sitting around they don't mind using.
55 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1003 posts
1798 upvotes
Markham
Absolutely horrible deal. If you're just trading it in at less than 1 cent per mile, then why even bother earning Aeroplan miles? Just get a cashback card.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1378 posts
5480 upvotes
15,000 miles gets you a short haul round trip flight within your province or 1 province over.

If you have any sort of need for a short haul flight, this redemption is offensive in terms of dollar value per point. In fact, if you redeem for this you probably shouldn't be collecting Aeroplan points to begin with.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
1322 posts
79 upvotes
Dave510 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 7:33 pm
Absolutely horrible deal. If you're just trading it in at less than 1 cent per mile, then why even bother earning Aeroplan miles? Just get a cashback card.
Can't you double dip? Buy the amazon gc with said card.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2018
955 posts
956 upvotes
Leverage wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 7:34 pm
15,000 miles gets you a short haul round trip flight within your province or 1 province over.

If you have any sort of need for a short haul flight, this redemption is offensive in terms of dollar value per point. In fact, if you redeem for this you probably shouldn't be collecting Aeroplan points to begin with.
It is a bad deal if you collect point for this or if you travel at all.

It is a great deal if you use the TD offer https://forums.redflagdeals.com/td-bank ... r-2299919/ spent some money, get the point effectively for free, and don't really plan on traveling.

Remember, the point expires within a year. If you don't travel within that year you are out of luck. Better use it before you lose it and this is the best way to use point you can't otherwise use.

Mystix wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 7:37 pm
Can't you double dip? Buy the amazon gc with said card.
No, buying with GC don't get you point. You only get the points once.
Jun 21, 2011
612 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
For reference: 25k aeroplan miles can get you a round trip econ ticket within most destinations within North America, do the mathematics ^_____^
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4613 posts
1413 upvotes
Toronto
Cucumference wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 7:46 pm
Remember, the point expires within a year. If you don't travel within that year you are out of luck. Better use it before you lose it and this is the best way to use point you can't otherwise use.
They only expire if you don't earn or use any miles during that period. If you use the credit card, or earn any miles in some other way (e.g. Costco online or other stores that give you miles for shopping there), you can keep your account active and not lose them, and wait for a better redemption (unless you know you will never use them for flights ever).
[OP]
Aug 19, 2018
955 posts
956 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 8:05 pm
They only expire if you don't earn or use any miles during that period. If you use the credit card, or earn any miles in some other way (e.g. Costco online or other stores that give you miles for shopping there), you can keep your account active and not lose them, and wait for a better redemption (unless you know you will never use them for flights ever).
I don't think you understood what I meant. I use the card just to get the welcome bonus. Nothing else. I'm not going to waste time renewing the point once I get the point on the off chance that I might use the point later. There are plenty other better traveling card program compared to Aeroplan on I do want to get point for traveling. This is just the best deal for people who has aeropoint welcome bonus, don't care for traveling and just wanted to cash out their point into something worth while.
Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 2nd, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted post was deleted
Sep 4, 2009
212 posts
112 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Not worth the time and credit hit if you're gonna churn the card but not redeem the WB for what aeroplan is meant for. Even if u earn 500 more points you could book a one way in econ anywhere in NA. Which is way more worth than $100 GC to Amazon.
Dec 28, 2006
359 posts
443 upvotes
Abbotsford BC
I think it is fine deal because I am not commited to aeroplan and got the sign on bonus when I do not think I will use the card. Free $100 and a 3000 point donation to doctors without boarders and cancel the card! Done
Koodo $40 6gb customer.
Feb 16, 2007
310 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
sekjai wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 10:37 pm
Not worth the time and credit hit if you're gonna churn the card but not redeem the WB for what aeroplan is meant for. Even if u earn 500 more points you could book a one way in econ anywhere in NA. Which is way more worth than $100 GC to Amazon.
I got tired of trying to find flights to cash my points on that didn't absolutely ruin the deal with taxes and fees. Any Air Canada flight is basically full price on another airline + the points you have to spend. And I wasn't close to affording a business class flight which is what I'm told are the best value points-wise.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4613 posts
1413 upvotes
Toronto
Cucumference wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 8:29 pm
I don't think you understood what I meant. I use the card just to get the welcome bonus. Nothing else. I'm not going to waste time renewing the point once I get the point on the off chance that I might use the point later. There are plenty other better traveling card program compared to Aeroplan on I do want to get point for traveling. This is just the best deal for people who has aeropoint welcome bonus, don't care for traveling and just wanted to cash out their point into something worth while.
Sure. It just sounded like you might think all Aeroplan points expire exactly one year after being earned, and I wanted to make sure you or others didn't think the program was worthless because of that reason. If you think it's worthless for other reasons, that's your own calculation to make (much like I think Air Miles are worthless - and as an aside, entirely unrelated to flying or airlines now - but some people avidly collect them and go out of their way to pick up bonus ones here and there).
Jan 4, 2019
149 posts
137 upvotes
chatbox wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 7:26 pm
https://www.ratehub.ca/credit-cards/aer ... iles-value

So, using 12,000 points to get a $100 GC means 1 point worth about CA$0.008333 ....making this closer to a bad deal (according to ratehub.ca's rating).
What am I missing? The link you posted actually shows this as being a good deal depending on your circumstances.

Here is why I think the Amazon GC is a better deal:
  • Ratehub example short-haul flight (lets de-complicate things...and others mentioned short haul) at 15,000 points and you still pay your fees. Averaging 0.007 in cases in value.
  • You put the rate at 0.008. That is more than 0.007.
  • No need to deal with trying to plan around finding flights
  • No need to "spend extra" on fees
  • Can use the GC on whatever you want. Can't fly where-ever/whenever.
  • The flight is only useful, if flying. Combine this with the above (trying to find a flight)
  • With the flight, can't take advantage of other offers (Flight Hub + Ebates offers that might be even better value)
  • With the flight, can make planning group/couple trips more difficult
  • Booking with other ways could provide better value (such as avion card or similar providing your extra coverages for free) while also providing cashback/bonuses
The points start being worth more with other types of flights. But now we are talking about having a lot more points, and travel plans. On the flip-side, you would need a reason to use the $100 GC. Could be a gift, or heck this is RFD...tons to buy from Amazon. Same with flights, deals get posted (making your points worth even less for travel potentially).

In short, for a short-haul flight the GC is a better deal (15,000 points for a flight worth ~$100 versus 12,000 worth $100 on Amazon) and much more convenient (depends on your circumstance).

Anyways, maybe I am missing something but I really don't see this as a bad deal. For me, it looks like a good deal. What am I missing?
Aug 26, 2011
338 posts
105 upvotes
Cucumference wrote:
Aug 1st, 2019 8:29 pm
I'm not going to waste time renewing the point once I get the point on the off chance that I might use the point later. There are plenty other better traveling card program compared to Aeroplan on I do want to get point for traveling. This is just the best deal for people who has aeropoint welcome bonus, don't care for traveling and just wanted to cash out their point into something worth while.
Huh? You just gotta earn 1 Aeroplan point every 12 months to avoid expiry. Redeeming gift cards with them is like lighting money on fire, IMO.
Koodo 6GB/40$ :twisted: