41 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Air Canada gift cards 100 points = $1

Deal Link:
Savings:
30% off
Retailer:
Aeroplan
I noticed that Air Canada gift cards are discounted on the Aeroplan rewards page.

5000 points = $50 (regular 7000 points)
10000 points = $100 (regular 14000 points)
...and so on for the other denominations. Basically 100 points = $1 for all Air Canada gift cards. If you've got some points to burn, this might be a good option as it allows you to use your Aeroplan points for travel with no restrictions, and the gift cards can be used to cover the "taxes and fees" portion of the trip, which isn't the case with points.

Anyways, long time lurker, first time poster so hopefully I did everything ok!
Thread Summary
Some fine print thanks to commenters below.

1. IMPORTANT: For ticket purchases, you can use up to two (2) gift cards provided that the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by the (2) two gift cards.

2. It is important to know that you cannot consolidate the value of multiple Gift Cards onto a single one.
43 replies
Aug 20, 2011
809 posts
893 upvotes
Only good if you want to cash out points.
Mar 7, 2011
324 posts
158 upvotes
Brampton
This is the typical $.01/point value... it was just badly valued with the before rates...
Jul 14, 2008
750 posts
861 upvotes
Montreal
would this the best time to cash out?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8191 posts
2483 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't think you'll be booking flights with your points, this is one good way to "cash out". OTOH, when paying for flights, I usually want to use premium credit cards because you get the travel/medical insurance. When using GCs, you won't get most of the CC insurance coverage.
Feb 19, 2009
29 posts
18 upvotes
What's the difference? If you use GCs issued from points you don't get the CC insurance. If you use the points themselves, you don't get the CC insurance. So you are no worse off from the CC insurance perspective if you redeem points to GCs. The real advantage is being able to select any flight you want. To get the Aeroplan point redemption rate of $.01/point value, you likely won't get a direct flight.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2004
2330 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga
what about the ability to select partner airlines? usually those flights if on AC are more expensive, while on Aeroplan are still the same points value
Jul 14, 2008
750 posts
861 upvotes
Montreal
do you guys know if CCs will cover you if you partially pay with your credit card? Or the entire air fare needs to be paid?

I think you get more value out of GCs if you use them whenever there are good deals. Something you'll rarely see when using your aeroplan points
May 1, 2009
99 posts
31 upvotes
Ottawa
Jonick wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 9:41 am
do you guys know if CCs will cover you if you partially pay with your credit card? Or the entire air fare needs to be paid?

I think you get more value out of GCs if you use them whenever there are good deals. Something you'll rarely see when using your aeroplan points
i've only ever seen if the full balance is paid with it
Jul 7, 2014
5 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
and the fine print... "IMPORTANT: For ticket purchases, you can use up to two (2) gift cards provided that the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by the (2) two gift cards."
[OP]
Feb 5, 2003
67 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BlackXstar wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 8:08 am
Only good if you want to cash out points.
Yup. That's why I said "if you've got some points to burn" Grinning Face
[OP]
Feb 5, 2003
67 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jonick wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 9:41 am
I believe you are covered if you pay for even part of the ticket, but I see here that others say differently. Probably the best bet is to call the credit card company.
Oct 24, 2005
926 posts
181 upvotes
Also

"It is important to know that you cannot consolidate the value of multiple Gift Cards onto a single one."
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
[OP]
Feb 5, 2003
67 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
drofnats wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 10:02 am
and the fine print... "IMPORTANT: For ticket purchases, you can use up to two (2) gift cards provided that the total cost of the ticket purchase is covered fully by the (2) two gift cards."
This is true. I usually just use one $250 gift card then pay for the rest with my credit card. I would never get a gift card bigger than that unless I had a specific/immediate use in mind for it. Pretty much any flight on Air Canada will be at least $250.
Jul 14, 2008
750 posts
861 upvotes
Montreal
I'm debating if I should cash out now, before Air Canada rolls out their new loyalty program, which might devalue aeroplan points further.