• Jun 5th, 2019 5:08 pm
[OP]
Feb 5, 2003
67 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jonick wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 10:29 am
I'm debating if I should cash out now, before Air Canada rolls out their new loyalty program, which might devalue aeroplan points further.
I did Grinning Face. What really sucks is that I'm only 50 points away from being able to get one more $50 GC!

Also, for what it's worth, I ordered one about ten days ago and it arrived day before yesterday.
Jan 17, 2009
975 posts
748 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Personally at 1c/point its pretty average redemption but for some people who don't know how to get good value i can see the appeal.
Jonick wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 9:41 am
do you guys know if CCs will cover you if you partially pay with your credit card? Or the entire air fare needs to be paid?

I think you get more value out of GCs if you use them whenever there are good deals. Something you'll rarely see when using your aeroplan points
Read the terms and conditions for your cards. Most (all my cards anyways) require you to pay the full cost of the airline ticket to get the insurance (cancellation, baggage, etc).
Jonick wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 10:29 am
I'm debating if I should cash out now, before Air Canada rolls out their new loyalty program, which might devalue aeroplan points further.
I assume AC will devalue the points slightly (as seems to have every once in a while anyways), because why wouldn't they hah.

Personally i just used up the points i had left (~220,000) on 2 business class flights to Italy because i don't want to roll the dice. I've got a family member sitting on close to a million points i've been begging to use them (or to let me use them haha).
Oct 31, 2006
557 posts
208 upvotes
YYZ-MSY-SFO-YYZ with 2-3 days stop overs and direct flights between them= 25k miles & 200$, i think is a good deal for a ticket that is over 1000$
Public Mobile user
Mar 12, 2017
253 posts
303 upvotes
Jonick wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 9:41 am
do you guys know if CCs will cover you if you partially pay with your credit card? Or the entire air fare needs to be paid?

I think you get more value out of GCs if you use them whenever there are good deals. Something you'll rarely see when using your aeroplan points
YMMV: I just checked the terms of my Gold Scotiabank Amex, so long as 75% of the trip costs are charged on the card, you have trip interruption, delay and accident insurance coverage.. no delayed baggage coverage without 100% of trip costs charged though!
Apr 25, 2016
80 posts
28 upvotes
Bought $250 AC gift card. AC paid $400 million to buy back aroplan so they have to recover this money....I think it will be on backs of existing people with banked air miles. In terms of devaluing the program. Similar to what Marriott did.

Thanks OP
Mar 12, 2017
253 posts
303 upvotes
Sandmonkee wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 7:50 am

...and so on for the other denominations. Basically 100 points = $1 for all Air Canada gift cards. If you've got some points to burn, this might be a good option as it allows you to use your Aeroplan points for travel with no restrictions, and the gift cards can be used to cover the "taxes and fees" portion of the trip, which isn't the case with points.
Just a note, saw this in the fine print:

NOTE: Air Canada Gift Cards cannot be used towards payment of taxes or fees related to Aeroplan Flight Rewards and cannot be used toward the payment of Air Canada Vacations packages.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1356 posts
983 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
This is incredibly poor value. Only unless you want to jump ship and get rid of the points. You can probably at least get 1.2x value on points if you use for flights.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2852 posts
241 upvotes
Can you purchase miles with cash?
I know you can book with miles and pay the difference (to buy miles with $ at checkout)

I am at 19473 miles and want to buy 527 miles so I can purchase $200 of gift card
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1099 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
This deal is.......an option, but not a hot deal.
You can buy Air Canada gift cards at a 10% discount presently so really you're trading at 100 points to 90 cents gift card until that deal expires.

For those not familiar with the advantages in the Aeroplan program, it's in 2 areas:
  1. Last minute flights, if you need them
  2. Free stopover for round-trip flights
Aeroplan has improved flight rewards recently in that carrier surcharges are lower than a few years ago. The cost to redeem economy flights hasn't changed much (except for further parts of Asia). It's a really good deal for any long-distance flight in Canada.

With that said, there are use cases that I can see. If you want to book a flight and expense it to your work company, you cannot do it with points. Anyone else spot other useful use cases?
[OP]
Feb 5, 2003
67 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
achc wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 11:50 am
Can you purchase miles with cash?
I know you can book with miles and pay the difference (to buy miles with $ at checkout)

I am at 19473 miles and want to buy 527 miles so I can purchase $200 of gift card
Is there anything you need from any of the e-stores on the Aeroplan site? Amazon? Home hardware? Not sure if anywhere has promotions right now where there is a multiplier.

You could buy $527 worth of Amazon gift cards... Grinning Face
[OP]
Feb 5, 2003
67 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Altera wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 11:42 am
This is incredibly poor value. Only unless you want to jump ship and get rid of the points. You can probably at least get 1.2x value on points if you use for flights.
You may be right, from a dollars and cents point of view. The thing is, every time I try to use my points for flights, there are always lots of restrictions, and sometimes the taxes and fees are more than the air fare part. This drives me nuts, therefore I choose to always redeem my points for gift cards. I guess I'm paying for the reduced PITA factor.
Aug 19, 2004
724 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
I'm kinda in the same boat. The SMART RFDer would be able to optimize points

https://flightfox.com/tradecraft/did-yo ... a-aeroplan

However, I'm too stupid, lazy (and tired) to do all of that so I'm just happy to get a freebie once in a while.

Also, it's too easy to have the points expire and get lost so... I'd rather of 1/2 of something rather than all of nothing in my case.

But yes... that is totally against the RFD creed.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1099 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
Sandmonkee wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:58 pm
You may be right, from a dollars and cents point of view. The thing is, every time I try to use my points for flights, there are always lots of restrictions, and sometimes the taxes and fees are more than the air fare part. This drives me nuts, therefore I choose to always redeem my points for gift cards. I guess I'm paying for the reduced PITA factor.
If you fly between west coast and east coast, Aeroplan is already cheaper. 25k point + about $150 taxes/fees all-in. So about $400 total...a little cheaper than almost any flight by cash out there (although you don't earn mileage).
If you add the free stopover, more bonus (you just pay for airport fees, etc).
Combine that with TD/CIBC Aeroplan card and you get 1 free luggage on all reward flights on Air Canada.
Combine with lounge benefits on other credit cards and you get free food + alcohol.

I think you just have to find a trip you want to take in Canada. The good thing is there's lots of beautiful places in Canada. If you just value 1 aeroplan point at a lowly 1 cent, you'll find you'd book many flights. Don't bother trying to search for flights with high CPM as your reason for your destination.
Last edited by shamans on Mar 27th, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 25, 2018
620 posts
936 upvotes
Milton, ON
shamans wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 4:07 pm
If you fly between west coast and east coast, Aeroplan is already cheaper. 25k point + about $150 taxes/fees all-in. So about $400 total...a little cheaper than almost any flight by cash out there (although you don't earn mileage).
If you add the free stopover, more bonus (you just pay for airport fees, etc).
Combine that with TD/CIBC Aeroplan card and you get 1 free luggage on all reward flights on Air Canada.
Combine with lounge benefits on other credit cards and you get free food + alcohol.

I think you just have to find a trip you want to take in Canada. The good thing is there's lots of beautiful places in Canada.
You can go anywhere in continental USA for 25K points (fixed reward chart here), doesn't have to be just Canada.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1099 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
JoelK22976 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 4:10 pm
You can go anywhere in continental USA for 25K points (fixed reward chart here), doesn't have to be just Canada.
That's true, although I think USA is an overrated place these days.....more expensive, less safe.
Another tip: United flights booked on Aeroplan don't have carrier surcharges.
Another tip: If you have United Mileage Plus points, you can book Air Canada flights without the carrier surcharges.

Whether the points are worth it also depends on the pricing...You can get Toronto to Florida flights for $300-$350 whereas Toronto to Vancouver flights will be > $400. That's why I emphasize on west-east coast flights within Canada as a good value for someone who wants to take that trip.