• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2019 5:08 pm
Nov 25, 2009
382 posts
96 upvotes
Duncan
shamans wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:21 pm
This deal is.......an option, but not a hot deal.
You can buy Air Canada gift cards at a 10% discount presently so really you're trading at 100 points to 90 cents gift card until that deal expires.

For those not familiar with the advantages in the Aeroplan program, it's in 2 areas:
  1. Last minute flights, if you need them
  2. Free stopover for round-trip flights
Aeroplan has improved flight rewards recently in that carrier surcharges are lower than a few years ago. The cost to redeem economy flights hasn't changed much (except for further parts of Asia). It's a really good deal for any long-distance flight in Canada.

With that said, there are use cases that I can see. If you want to book a flight and expense it to your work company, you cannot do it with points. Anyone else spot other useful use cases?
Where's the 10% discount on gift cards if you don't mind me asking?
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2519 posts
517 upvotes
Vancouver
Sandmonkee wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 10:35 am
I did Grinning Face. What really sucks is that I'm only 50 points away from being able to get one more $50 GC!

Also, for what it's worth, I ordered one about ten days ago and it arrived day before yesterday.
Did you participate in opt-in text message from Aeroplan link . You get a minimum of 100 points.
MooH wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 10:58 am
YYZ-MSY-SFO-YYZ with 2-3 days stop overs and direct flights between them= 25k miles & 200$, i think is a good deal for a ticket that is over 1000$
Yes when you have additional stops, using points is worth it. i have a case where YVR-YYZ roundtrip costs under $500. Using points, 25k Aeroplan miles + $164 (or so). Totally, not worth it.

Best value is when you can use the points for Business Class seats.

I also noticed some partner airlines charge less fuel surcharge than Air Canada.
Jan 29, 2011
18 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks OP. Just grabbed $200 worth of AC gift cards.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2519 posts
517 upvotes
Vancouver
g_althena wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 4:38 pm
Where's the 10% discount on gift cards if you don't mind me asking?
Last year, Safeway/Sobey's had a 10% off AC gift card. If any deal pops up on AC Gift Card, I would assume a RFDer will add it to Hot Deals.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18913 posts
439 upvotes
YYZ
shamans wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:21 pm
This deal is.......an option, but not a hot deal.
You can buy Air Canada gift cards at a 10% discount presently so really you're trading at 100 points to 90 cents gift card until that deal expires.

For those not familiar with the advantages in the Aeroplan program, it's in 2 areas:
  1. Last minute flights, if you need them
  2. Free stopover for round-trip flights
Aeroplan has improved flight rewards recently in that carrier surcharges are lower than a few years ago. The cost to redeem economy flights hasn't changed much (except for further parts of Asia). It's a really good deal for any long-distance flight in Canada.

With that said, there are use cases that I can see. If you want to book a flight and expense it to your work company, you cannot do it with points. Anyone else spot other useful use cases?
Where can you buy AC GC's for 10% off right now?
[OP]
Feb 5, 2003
68 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
shamans wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 4:07 pm
If you fly between west coast and east coast, Aeroplan is already cheaper. 25k point + about $150 taxes/fees all-in. So about $400 total...a little cheaper than almost any flight by cash out there (although you don't earn mileage).
If you add the free stopover, more bonus (you just pay for airport fees, etc).
Combine that with TD/CIBC Aeroplan card and you get 1 free luggage on all reward flights on Air Canada.
Combine with lounge benefits on other credit cards and you get free food + alcohol.

I think you just have to find a trip you want to take in Canada. The good thing is there's lots of beautiful places in Canada. If you just value 1 aeroplan point at a lowly 1 cent, you'll find you'd book many flights. Don't bother trying to search for flights with high CPM as your reason for your destination.
First of all, I couldn't agree more. You can get a better deal than this, I'm sure. However a couple of things about your post:

1. I travel around Canada a lot for work. I usually use these opportunities to add some time on and see this beautiful country. So I'm not planning to use the miles for that.
2. I don't have enough miles for business class anywhere, and I'm too impatient to wait long enough to build up that many miles.
3. I don't have the credit card you mention, and signing up for yet another credit card to get some single program specific points didn't interest me. I have a personal credit card that gets me cash back on everything, and a work credit card that gets into any airport lounge in the world.
4. At no point did I claim that this was a LAVA BLAZING SCORCHING HOT deal, or that it was the best possible way of using your miles.

So for you, the process you describe may work, but for me I was just happy with the gift cards I got at 30% off of what I'm used to Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes.
Sep 14, 2012
151 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
shuman wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 9:36 am
What's the difference? If you use GCs issued from points you don't get the CC insurance. If you use the points themselves, you don't get the CC insurance. So you are no worse off from the CC insurance perspective if you redeem points to GCs. The real advantage is being able to select any flight you want. To get the Aeroplan point redemption rate of $.01/point value, you likely won't get a direct flight.
Wrong.

You do get insurance coverage with certain credit cards if you book an Aeroplan trip with points. CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite.

All you have to do is pay the taxes and fees with the credit card and use the points for the actual flight. TD Infinite card works same way.

I regularly get 4 cents and above value on my redemptions.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1105 posts
456 upvotes
Toronto
Sandmonkee wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 5:16 pm
4. At no point did I claim that this was a LAVA BLAZING SCORCHING HOT deal, or that it was the best possible way of using your miles.
Well duh, it ain't a HOT DEAL unless it's SUN CORONA MELT-YOUR-FACE HOT. I always laugh at those posts.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2005
2852 posts
241 upvotes
Deal is dead. Air Canada no longer offer Air Canada Gift Card less then $250.
RFD Damage...lost count

HEATWARE
eBay
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2008
6475 posts
1151 upvotes
Mont-Royal
Isn't cash out for Amazon better than air Canada?
"Every marathon you run, your heart scars and you will die faster. If you think running a marathon is fitness, then you know NOTHING ABOUT HEALTH & FITNESS."
- Training 101
Nov 15, 2007
78 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto
blarg wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 10:21 am
Also

"It is important to know that you cannot consolidate the value of multiple Gift Cards onto a single one."
For use with Air Canada: Due to system limitations, we regret that a maximum of two (2) forms of payment is permitted on a single booking at time of purchase. When purchasing a seat or travel option for an existing reservation, only one (1) form of payment can be accepted at time of purchase. If the Gift Card or eGift Card has a balance lower than the cost of the fee or travel option, please pay with another form of payment. However, we will be able to apply the credit balance from your Gift Card or eGift Card and effect a refund to the alternative form of payment used following these instructions - After the transaction, you can complete the Customer Assistance Form which may not meet accessibility guidelines. provide proof of the form of payment used and include the details of the unused Gift Card or eGift Card to receive a refund of the applicable value to your original form of payment.