• Sep 4th, 2021 3:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
2462 posts
1188 upvotes
GTA

Aeroplan - booking flight to India

Has anyone booked flights from YYZ to BLR or any other Indian city through Aeroplan? I have like 400k points and was thinking of using points for my travel. I’m ok to drive to Buffalo if border opens and there are other options.

Thank you!
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5518 posts
4590 upvotes
Are there flights you can redeem? There's still flight ban from India to Canada and US, so you may have to take a convoluted routing with a star alliance partner via countries that have flights to India?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1164 posts
543 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Are there flights you can redeem? There's still flight ban from India to Canada and US, so you may have to take a convoluted routing with a star alliance partner via countries that have flights to India?
There is a ban on 'direct' flights from India to Canada. You can still fly with a connection with the added headache of testing at the connection.
There are direct flights from India to the USA.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5518 posts
4590 upvotes
vernonco wrote: There is a ban on 'direct' flights from India to Canada. You can still fly with a connection with the added headache of testing at the connection.
There are direct flights from India to the USA.
When did the US lift flight ban from India?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1164 posts
543 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: When did the US lift flight ban from India?
Not sure but heard directly about a friends son who flew to US for university studies two weeks back. I believe US citizens, residents and some others like students are allowed to travel.
https://www.reuters.com/world/india/us- ... 021-07-20/

Non US citizens are still not allowed to travel unless they stay somewhere else for 14 days.
https://www.dw.com/en/stranded-by-covid ... a-58733327

The Indian govt still has rules in place banning non essential travel and in effect only allowing Indian Citizens and OCI holders to travel. No tourists.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9126 posts
2110 upvotes
Vancouver
Worth noting that Aeroplan reservations, until end of September are complete refundable up to 2 hours before departure. All points refunded and all taxes back on. Your CC

I’m not an expert on what airports are better or worse for connections. However I was recently helping a friend get to dubai and I get Turkish airlines connection in Istanbul to be of little hassle. I’ve also read that during the the whole COVID refund mess Turkish was among the better at refunds. Not that it matters with Aeroplan

I’ve been to India twice backpacking and would go again. Sadly I don’t know if that will be in the cards for a long time. Vancouver to dubai via Istanbul was $900 return. Leaving oct to November.

Be wise with your use of points. Fly business.
Autocorrect sucks