• Aug 30th, 2017 9:31 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6816 posts
2473 upvotes
Vancouver

Aeroplan booking issue( flights become unavailable during selection

I have a flight to Rome. then Israel then yyz. Once I select yyz to Dubai, any other segments become unavailable( white) and I cannot select them. All days have at least a dozen flights, so I am not exactly sure what is going on.I tried changing the first flight to any other and same thing. Once I do that, can't proceed to selection of other segments.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
11 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36265 posts
10486 upvotes
Ottawa
Only certain seats are allotted to Aeroplan.
Your best bet is to contact Aeroplan and discuss your selections with them. They have more options and it will cost you $35 only if you accept their booking.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9787 posts
2854 upvotes
Vancouver
Not sure what you mean by white out and I'm confused on your route.

Can you post where your trying to go and which dates. If I have some time I can do a few searches for you.

You can also use www.united.com to search for award flights with Aeroplan even for non united flights. Search each journey by each leg. Know which airlines your trying to fly. (Yyz to Dubai is air Canada direct) which will have high surcharges.

United click "show award flights " and if you see economy saver or business saver then it should be availability to be booked on Aeroplan or via phone agent depending on complexity of the route. If your trying to maximize stop overs and lay overs usually you need a phone rep.

I'm assuming you have a good understanding of the program? If not you should spend some time reading up some guides
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1985 posts
865 upvotes
HK
Have you checked if it is 1) a legal route and 2) under the MPM allowance?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2983 upvotes
McKinsey wrote: Have you checked if it is 1) a legal route and 2) under the MPM allowance?
This is my guess. There's something wrong with one or the other of these aspects which precludes completion of the booking.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6816 posts
2473 upvotes
Vancouver
I figured out the issue.

I didn't know there are so many rules to booking.

Eg. With stop overs, you can't go through the same city and your total per leg needs to be under 12700miles and the distance of the final destination has to be less than the distance between the original departure point and the stopover city,etc.
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
345 posts
9 upvotes
Markham
Aeroplan is definitely tightening so much that makes it almost impossible to book...time to go for another rewards program....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6816 posts
2473 upvotes
Vancouver
jojochiu wrote: Aeroplan is definitely tightening so much that makes it almost impossible to book...time to go for another rewards program....
It's still nice for some flights and if you spend your time searching. Flew to San Francisco recently for 25K points + $73tax. Few months back flew to Germany for 60K points and $190 tax.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2983 upvotes
jojochiu wrote: Aeroplan is definitely tightening so much that makes it almost impossible to book...time to go for another rewards program....
I always get a little smile on my face when I read posts like this about how hard it is to book Aeroplan seats.

My wife and I have done two mini-RTW trips in Business and First over the last four years, have booked Business Class to Europe two months in advance and I just booked two one-way Business & First Class tickets to Hong Kong yesterday for a trip in January.

The more that people think that there is little chance of booking seats, the better the availability for the rest of us.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
25248 posts
6944 upvotes
where I belong
dazz wrote: I figured out the issue.

I didn't know there are so many rules to booking.

Eg. With stop overs, you can't go through the same city and your total per leg needs to be under 12700miles and the distance of the final destination has to be less than the distance between the original departure point and the stopover city,etc.
Flyertalk
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/

Yes, you cannot backtrack
Cannot visit/transfer via same city on the same side of travel (Inbound, or Outbound). You can do it after the Destination
MPM is dependent on Origin and Destination

YYZ-Dubai-IST/FCO is too much of detour :)

btw, someone booked this Mini-RTW in Business (so 150K/person)
Just booked the following all in J for 2 pax at the end of the year:

YYZ-YVR (AC) Stop
YVR-TPE (AC) Dest
TPE-IST (TK) - 7 hr layover - hope i qualify for a day room
IST-FCO (TK) Stop
FCO-YYZ (AC)

Total taxes came out to $215 + the $33.90 phone fee for each Pax. Also of note, i was pleasantly surprised I was connected to Aeroplan immediately and the whole booking only took 30 minutes - i remember last time i did a mini rtw i had to wait an hour before being connected to an agent.

PS Thanks to jerryhung for some initial input.
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Platinum/Biz Plat 100K || Aeroplan Reserve 150K
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
345 posts
9 upvotes
Markham
Conquistador wrote: I always get a little smile on my face when I read posts like this about how hard it is to book Aeroplan seats.

My wife and I have done two mini-RTW trips in Business and First over the last four years, have booked Business Class to Europe two months in advance and I just booked two one-way Business & First Class tickets to Hong Kong yesterday for a trip in January.

The more that people think that there is little chance of booking seats, the better the availability for the rest of us.
Have u never had issue booking flights for Aeroplan? Wow lucky
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2983 upvotes
jojochiu wrote: Have u never had issue booking flights for Aeroplan? Wow lucky
Depends on the meaning of "issues".

In the last several years we have only been utilizing Aeroplan for long-haul Business or First Class seats and while not always getting the most direct or shortest routes we're quite alright taking a little longer to get places, with an extra stopover here and there, because, after all, we're traveling in Business or First which makes the entire travel experience, including airport lounges on stopovers, just so much more enjoyable. We're also able to travel when there is availability and plan travel at the destination, to some extent, on when we can arrive and depart based on that availability.

And, yes, I've spent inordinate amounts of time on hold and on the phone with Aeroplan to book the multiple segments of mini-RTW trips and also lament their shitty website that precludes booking many of the options that are available and, thus, requires the payment of the booking fee by having to call in.

So, I wouldn't say that we've "never had issue booking flights for Aeroplan" and luck has little to do with it as much as persistence and flexibility do. An example of the persistence, is checking frequently for availability. The flights I just booked to Hong Kong were not available in Business/First over the last few months. I checked again the other day and there they were so grabbed them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)