Shopping Discussion

Locked: Aeroplan coming to LCBO

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2022 12:02 pm
Tags:
None
62 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2017
1165 posts
2071 upvotes
I wondered why LCBO was pulling out of Air Miles, now I know.

1 AP miles for every $4 in LCBO purchases...well, it isn't 1 mile per $1, but it could be worse.

The ability to redeem miles for LCBO gift cards at 1 mile = 1 cent is nice, and it gives a 1 mile=1 cent floor value to Aeroplan miles.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4374 upvotes
BC
1 point per $4, lol. You only have to spend half a million on booze to earn enough points for a business class return flight to Europe! Face With Tears Of Joy

Just like the Starbucks partnership, if this is going to make a significant difference in the big picture to anyone they probably have a serious problem.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13064 posts
8311 upvotes
Markham
rhw123 wrote: 1 point per $4, lol. You only have to spend half a million on booze to earn enough points for a business class return flight to Europe! Face With Tears Of Joy

Just like the Starbucks partnership, if this is going to make a significant difference in the big picture to anyone they probably have a serious problem.
It should be litre based lol
Sr. Member
Aug 9, 2020
873 posts
473 upvotes
1 point per $4 = 25 pts per $100 at LCBO, so like 0.25% assuming you value aeroplan points at 1 cent per point.

Personally i would probably give it 0.35% which is certainly at the bottom end when you compare to airmiles, petro points, esso points etc....
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2017
799 posts
808 upvotes
If nothing else, it adds yet another convenient way to keep a points balance active.

Also, if it is like air miles was, there will occasionally be promotions on specific items for bonus miles.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15340 posts
20717 upvotes
Vancouver
nevyn1234 wrote: If nothing else, it adds yet another convenient way to keep a points balance active.
THIS. I struggle to keep the four family Aeroplan accounts active. This would be by far the easiest way for me. You Ontario folks are so lucky to have this.
Sr. Member
Feb 13, 2009
704 posts
328 upvotes
Ontario
rhw123 wrote: 1 point per $4, lol. You only have to spend half a million on booze to earn enough points for a business class return flight to Europe! Face With Tears Of Joy

Just like the Starbucks partnership, if this is going to make a significant difference in the big picture to anyone they probably have a serious problem.
So I only recently discovered the Starbucks partnership with Aeroplan. In my opinion I feel it's just a nice little bonus, knowing I'm spending the money at Starbucks anyway, so getting an extra 2% to 3% back in the firm of Aeroplan points is free anyway and not requiring me to go out of my way.

Getting 150 Aeroplan points for every $75 topped up on my Starbucks app is simple enough. Buying a round of lattes each day for my crew comes to roughly $400/mo. I know that's peanuts in terms of Aeroplan points accumulated, but I'm happy to collect that over the year for doing nothing more than tapping on my app to reload my Starbucks account.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15340 posts
20717 upvotes
Vancouver
Stupido wrote: 1 point per $4 = 25 pts per $100 at LCBO, so like 0.25% assuming you value aeroplan points at 1 cent per point.

Personally i would probably give it 0.35% which is certainly at the bottom end when you compare to airmiles, petro points, esso points etc....
What other province’s government-run liquor store has any kind of rewards program at all? You Ontario folks are lucky to have anything at all.
Sr. Member
Nov 28, 2017
799 posts
808 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: THIS. I struggle to keep the four family Aeroplan accounts active. This would be by far the easiest way for me. You Ontario folks are so lucky to have this.
There are other options. Aside from starbucks, amazon through the marketplace is pretty easy too.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15340 posts
20717 upvotes
Vancouver
nevyn1234 wrote: There are other options. Aside from starbucks, amazon through the marketplace is pretty easy too.
Thanks. I didn’t realize Amazon was back in the Aeroplan e-store. It was removed a while back.
Starbucks requires dropping a lot of cash to get any Aeroplan points, not doing that. Spending $4 at the liquor store to keep the Aeroplan account alive is killer.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
5845 posts
7207 upvotes
Montreal
Kiraly wrote: What other province’s government-run liquor store has any kind of rewards program at all? You Ontario folks are lucky to have anything at all.
The SAQ here in QC has a rewards program. It's not amazing by any means, but it's something. The day-to-day earnings isn't much; weekly targeted promos are decent (e.g., $10-$15 back in points on a bottle of scotch).
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4374 upvotes
BC
mattt33 wrote: So I only recently discovered the Starbucks partnership with Aeroplan. In my opinion I feel it's just a nice little bonus, knowing I'm spending the money at Starbucks anyway, so getting an extra 2% to 3% back in the firm of Aeroplan points is free anyway and not requiring me to go out of my way.

Getting 150 Aeroplan points for every $75 topped up on my Starbucks app is simple enough. Buying a round of lattes each day for my crew comes to roughly $400/mo. I know that's peanuts in terms of Aeroplan points accumulated, but I'm happy to collect that over the year for doing nothing more than tapping on my app to reload my Starbucks account.
This is just my personal opinion but I find the concept of earning ~0.5% rewards on so-so coffee that's probably ~70% overpriced amusing ;-)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7708 posts
9694 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: What other province’s government-run liquor store has any kind of rewards program at all? You Ontario folks are lucky to have anything at all.
I'd rather not get aeroplan miles while getting booze of that meant being able to purchase any type of alcohol in any store we wanted.

Being restricted to only the LCBO for hard liquor and their random days of not being open isn't a benefit as some might think.

Why Mac's doesn't sell beer and why Walmart doesn't sell hard alcohol is stupid.
Sr. Member
Feb 13, 2009
704 posts
328 upvotes
Ontario
rhw123 wrote: This is just my personal opinion but I find the concept of earning ~0.5% rewards on so-so coffee that's probably ~70% overpriced amusing ;-)
I respect your decision. Personally I enjoy Starbucks for the ambience. No disrespect, but I simply love the vibe and feel of walking into a Starbucks more than say a Tim Hortons or McDonald's. Yes, the coffee is just as good at the latter two establishments if you ask me.

But more so, I go to Starbucks not for their coffee but for their handcrafted drinks. I honestly don't remember the last time I ordered a coffee - some form of espresso drink is my preference. And during the summer, the number of various cold drinks that the family enjoys. Yes, they're $6 each but I say everyone enjoys them that much and hence worth the extra buck each.

It is no different than why one would go to a 5 star hotel over say a 3 star hotel. Yes, you get all the basic amenities in your hotel stay (running water, towels, a clean bed, etc.) but it's the finer luxuries that many enjoy and are willing to pay for.

No different than why one would pay for valet parking or room service for food.

Respectfully, I feel different from you. You could extend the analogy to any number of items. Again, one could spend $200,000 on a care or $20,000 on a car. Some people enjoy their toys and enjoyments in many different ways.

But on the topic of collecting points, it's more of a game to us. Similarly, the number of drink stickers from ordered drinks over the years - the stack of filled drink cards has now reached over 200, and we simply find amusement in how many we can collect - no intention of using them ever.

So the extra Aeroplan points each year is really just for amusement.
Sr. Member
Feb 13, 2009
704 posts
328 upvotes
Ontario
rhw123 wrote: This is just my personal opinion but I find the concept of earning ~0.5% rewards on so-so coffee that's probably ~70% overpriced amusing ;-)
I don't mean to beat a point but for arguments sake (please correct me if I'm wrong here) the estimation is more than 0.5% return in Aeroplan points value.

You receive 150 Aeroplan points for every $75 top-up.

If one estimates the value of an Aeroplan point at 1.5 cents each (when redeemed for flights only), then the 150 Aeroplan points equates to $2.25 in flight value.

So $2.25 divided by $75 equals 3% return :)
Member
Mar 18, 2006
256 posts
239 upvotes
nevyn1234 wrote: If nothing else, it adds yet another convenient way to keep a points balance active.
Couldn't agree more.

Though, I wonder if AP will enforce any specific rules for keeping an account active. Don't think AM cared which card was scanned at checkout. Would AP care, especially if the AP account is for someone under 19?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4374 upvotes
BC
mattt33 wrote: I respect your decision. Personally I enjoy Starbucks for the ambience. No disrespect, but I simply love the vibe and feel of walking into a Starbucks more than say a Tim Hortons or McDonald's. Yes, the coffee is just as good at the latter two establishments if you ask me.

But more so, I go to Starbucks not for their coffee but for their handcrafted drinks. I honestly don't remember the last time I ordered a coffee - some form of espresso drink is my preference. And during the summer, the number of various cold drinks that the family enjoys. Yes, they're $6 each but I say everyone enjoys them that much and hence worth the extra buck each.

It is no different than why one would go to a 5 star hotel over say a 3 star hotel. Yes, you get all the basic amenities in your hotel stay (running water, towels, a clean bed, etc.) but it's the finer luxuries that many enjoy and are willing to pay for.

No different than why one would pay for valet parking or room service for food.

Respectfully, I feel different from you. You could extend the analogy to any number of items. Again, one could spend $200,000 on a care or $20,000 on a car. Some people enjoy their toys and enjoyments in many different ways.

But on the topic of collecting points, it's more of a game to us. Similarly, the number of drink stickers from ordered drinks over the years - the stack of filled drink cards has now reached over 200, and we simply find amusement in how many we can collect - no intention of using them ever.

So the extra Aeroplan points each year is really just for amusement.
No need to defend your choice, I'm glad you are able to enjoy Starbucks! There is one thing we agree on: if the choice is between Starbucks, Tim Hortons and McDonals, the first has the better ambience of the three, lol.
mattt33 wrote: I don't mean to beat a point but for arguments sake (please correct me if I'm wrong here) the estimation is more than 0.5% return in Aeroplan points value.

You receive 150 Aeroplan points for every $75 top-up.

If one estimates the value of an Aeroplan point at 1.5 cents each (when redeemed for flights only), then the 150 Aeroplan points equates to $2.25 in flight value.

So $2.25 divided by $75 equals 3% return :)
My bad, I was thinking of the 1 point per $4 at LCBO.
[OP]
Member
Nov 23, 2015
340 posts
222 upvotes
KLEINBURG, ON
Not to mention we all know the LCBO pricing is all tax. There needs to be more competition(but we seem to lack that in alot of Industries in Canada).
Gtaphotog wrote: I'd rather not get aeroplan miles while getting booze of that meant being able to purchase any type of alcohol in any store we wanted.

Being restricted to only the LCBO for hard liquor and their random days of not being open isn't a benefit as some might think.

Why Mac's doesn't sell beer and why Walmart doesn't sell hard alcohol is stupid.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7708 posts
9694 upvotes
mcmtech86 wrote: Not to mention we all know the LCBO pricing is all tax. There needs to be more competition(but we seem to lack that in alot of Industries in Canada).
100% it's as if the word and idea of competition doesn't exist at all in Canada.

The mere fact they let foreign breweries come in and own The Beer Store but don't let local Canadian owned stores and only big foreign retailers sell limited alcohol is a joke.

Top